X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2009-2010

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
    And, finally, no IF this or IF that...I heard enough of that bull**** after the Yale game.
    Whoops ... my previous post had an "if" this. Sorry I had to say it, but it's unfortunate that this crap had to happen tonight. At least I'm through venting about tonight's requiem.
    Colgate '09

Comment

BTW, the next time you remove Evin from a game put in a goalie (Bessette) who actually looks like he wants to be in the game. Long was awful.
      I'm pretty sure either goalie would have done the same. Essentially two breakaway goals. Long hasn't played since what, the beginning of January, and Bessette hasn't played since the Waterloo scrimmage. Good call
      Last edited by UHhky; 02-17-2010, 01:06 AM.

Comment

it's not that we lost, it's the overall effort OVER THREE PERIODS that is so discouraging.
        For the most part I agree with you, Greencoat, althought I thought we played a pretty good 2nd period. You just can't give up goals to good teams in the last minute of a period. It just kills you. And then they get the 2 goals early in the 3rd and from then on it was garbage time.

The bright spot tonight was probably our PK, which kept us in the game in the 1st 2 periods. McNamara and Price had tough games - both were -3. As was McIntyre, although I thought he tried to lift the team tonight as best he could - it wasn't enough.

We're definitely not in either Cornell or Yale's class - far from it. Question is - will our young players get us to that level eventually? I love Larkin. He's got a chance to be great. Bourdon's not bad either. I'm not sure about the rest.

Comment

You can't win with goaltending like that !! Simple .
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Sadly, not a big suprise...I'm beginning to wonder if it bothers the team or Coach V that we haven't beaten Cornell in the last nine contests. I get the sense that this team is simply happy to show some improvement (at least in the ECAC) from last year. BTW, the next time you remove Evin from a game put in a goalie (Bessette) who actually looks like he wants to be in the game. Long was awful. Another goal in the last minute of a period, another this, another that...I don't know about others but I'm getting a little sick and tired of utter failure against teams that have, at least on paper, a better pedigree for a particular year. And "happy talkers" don't get too excited about the SOG statistics. The final score of this game was 6-2, nothing more, but nothing less, and that's embarrassing...I will continue to stick with my 10-11-1 final record in the league. I wish I could actually be somewhat positive, but again, it's not that we lost, it's the overall effort OVER THREE PERIODS that is so discouraging. And, finally, no IF this or IF that...I heard enough of that bull**** after the Yale game.
            Geez..chill Greencoat.

I believe GR said DV called a timeout before the Cornell score in the last minute of the 2nd period. We should have had our act together to prevent that from happening.

Overall, a big downer. Can we come back on the road?? It's despiration time. The seniors have to step up and lead the young kids...

Brisebois continues to impress me with his energy and grit. Hope it rubs off on some of the others.
            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

No time out was called before the third Cornell goal. I forget when Coach Vaughan called his time out but I believe it was in the third period possibly to set up the extra-attacker situation with Long coming out of the net on the fly. I think that's the first time Colgate has tried that since the 2008 ECAC consolation game against Cornell and that was a goaltender change on the fly I believe from Dex to Moose or vice versa.

Leading up to the third Cornell goal, Colgate had been called for icing after a stretch pass intended for Cox misfired. The ensuing face-off resulted in a blue line shot by Krueger that was stopped and held by Evin and that allowed Colgate to get a slight line change. Cornell scored shortly after the next face-off.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                You can't win with goaltending like that !! Simple .
                Which one? The goalie that let up 4 or 2?

Comment

Well if we win our last 4 and SLU loses 1 then we get a bye. Unfortunately we're not playing our best hockey heading into the playoffs. I think we've even gone backward a little. Had we played well against Yale and Cornell and lost a couple of tough 1-goal games then I would feel better about these last 4 games. But Yale and Cornell smoked us. At home no less. I'm surprised and disappointed that those games were that one-sided. And now goaltending is a question mark. The good news I guess is that this weekend we're playing 2 teams below us in the standings and we do well in those games.

Comment

I enjoyed the interviews with the 'Gate players on the TV broadcast. Both seemed like good guys. This Cornell fan goes back to before Dan Fridgen, so it's good to see a smiling face in a Colgate jersey.
                    A neg.rep on this thread is a badge of honor.....troyboy March 7 2011

Comment

True to any criticism in this direction TO A POINT...I'm just very frustrated that we've shown no real toughness (not necessarily in a physical sense) against good hockey teams. To beat a dead horse: outscored 12-5 at home in two very important games is distressing and this year's freshmen are now, in essence, sophomores. The goaltending looked poor and Evin appears to be too often way out of position. The late goals near the end of periods are killers, especially against teams like Cornell and Yale. There's frankly no reason to expect this team to be much above (or below) .500 for the year, but what's even worse is the total inability to even compete with high-calibre teams. I just hope that the program isn't satisfied with this level of competitiveness.

Comment

I mean it's been the same ups and downs for the past few years. Nothing too surprising here.

Comment

True to any criticism in this direction TO A POINT...I'm just very frustrated that we've shown no real toughness (not necessarily in a physical sense) against good hockey teams. To beat a dead horse: outscored 12-5 at home in two very important games is distressing and this year's freshmen are now, in essence, sophomores. The goaltending looked poor and Evin appears to be too often way out of position. The late goals near the end of periods are killers, especially against teams like Cornell and Yale. There's frankly no reason to expect this team to be much above (or below) .500 for the year, but what's even worse is the total inability to even compete with high-calibre teams. I just hope that the program isn't satisfied with this level of competitiveness.
                          Greencoat -Your comments are on the mark. (Just poking fun at you in the last post; I forgot to put the "sarcastic" emotion next to my blurb)

We don't have a hot goaltender right now and that is worrisome. As they say in the NHL, if you can't ride a hot goalie in the playoffs you're chances aren't good. We have to hope Evin or Long gets hot this weekend and in the final home series..
                          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

This team has a few question marks in it right now? Can we beat an over .500 team? Can we have solid goaltending the rest of the season? Can we not give up any goals in the last minute of a period?

Dartmouth can be defeated but cannot be taken lightly. They've scored at least 4 goals in EACH of their last 3 games but only have a 1-1-1 record to show for it. And the win and tie were both come-from-behind in the 3rd period. But the loss was to Union after blowing a 4-0 lead. Who knows which Dartmouth team will come out to play, and who knows which Colgate team could come out to play. This game could go either way.

As for Harvard, well, they've had our number in the series history, especially at Bright Hockey Center. We overcame a 3-goal deficit to defeat them at home, and they're usually hot in February. They blew a 3-1 lead vs. RPI at home and almost blew a 4-0 lead vs. Union at home, though they hung on to defeat Union. Again, who knows which Harvard team will come out, and which Colgate team will play that Sat. night. This game can also go either way.

Right now my forecast calls for a split (Dartmouth W, Harvard L), but I hope I'm wrong about Saturday. There will be at least 150 or so Colgate fans in attendance at the Harvard game (including my dad and I), as the Colgate Alumni Club of Boston is hosting a pre-game reception (though I won't be attending the reception -- just the hockey game ).
                            Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                              Right now my forecast calls for a split (Dartmouth W, Harvard L), but I hope I'm wrong about Saturday.
                              If that's the case, then why did you pick Colgate to sweep on the pick 'em thread? Just curious.
                              C O L G A T E
                              2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                              1990 NCAA FINALS
                              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                              ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                              ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

I find it very hard to pick against 'Gate in the pick 'em thread. Only in what looks like a true mismatch (if we were playing Yale again in the next 2 weeks, I'd be picking against us ... funny, I picked us to lose to Yale in Jan. 2009 and we lost that game )

I believe we can win both games given our outstanding record vs. teams below .500, but we haven't swept on the road since Feb. 2006 so that's why I'm not 100% confident we'll win twice. But I'm not going to pick us to split in the pick 'em in the case we do split this weekend, but against the opposite teams. Then I get no points for both games.
                                Colgate '09

Comment

Working...
                                X