• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2009-2010

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
    Other positives from tonight's game:
    -Perfect 5 for 5 on the penalty kill.
    -TWO powerplay goals.
    -We didn't rotate goalies. Evin is making a case to be the starter for the stretch run. If he doesn't get the start next Friday, something's wrong with the coaching staff.
    Rainman, before you start sounding like your namesake in the famous movie starring Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman, look at the facts. Evin is on a roll against Clarkson (5-16-3) and RMU (7-13-4) - not exactly wins against power houses. Although he made some good saves he also looked very questionable at times including the two goals that were waived off (both in reality should have been goals). Evin will get the start again against the weak Clarkson team and probably play respectable. I will be more impressed and "believe" if he then plays solid against St. Lawrence. At least he should have something no goaltender at Colgate has had this year- a string of consecutive starts to get in a flow. I think the goaltending issue is still out for debate although it is clear who the coaches want as the starter.

RMU looked like the worst D-1 team in the country on Friday night. They improved their play on Saturday but clearly not a strong team. They rarely could put any sustained pressure in our end. Colgate will need to play a lot better to shut down St. Lawrence's speed.

Comment

Win at home...Just win at home !

Okay, let's look at the remaining schedules. First off...FOUR points separates first from eighth place. We and Cornell have a game in hand on all. We have SEVEN home games, Cornell and Yale second with SIX.

SLU, Clarkson, RPI, Union, Princeton and Q-Pac have FOUR home games left. Do the math...Right now we are in great shape as long as we win at Starr.
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
        All the warmup games are over now. If we're serious about a bye then sweep Clarkson and SLU next weekend. Anything less is a disappointment.
        Magoo - easier said than done.

If RPI and Harvard hadn't tied last night one of them would have jumped over us. Frankly I see Harvard in our rearview mirror now that Louie LeBlanc has awakened. The're are on a roll, along with SLU.

But Shabby says it all in a nutshell: JUST WIN AT HOME and it's all good!..
        COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Long played two games in Chicago and then at SLU and I vaguely remember the radio announcer saying that he couldn't play at Canisius due to an academic issue. That would have possibly made four consecutive starts for him. With Evin injured it was his job to have, but with three losses and an the inability to play at Canisius, I think it was as good a time as any to see what Evin could do after having had time to recover from his injury. I'm sure it would be much easier for a coaching staff to decide who to put in goal when one stands out ahead of the others. I'm sure the Cornell coach doesn't have to wrestle every week with who he should put in the net. We should keep in mid that the team is still young on defense. Who cares who plays as along as someone steps up.

Comment

I watched both games and liked the intensity in the first game. The second game again was lackluster at best for the first 2 periods. I don't understand it. To me there is not enough jam from the 3rd and 4th lines that should be difficult to play against night in and night out. At this point in the season every line should have their roll and we need to be harder to play against.

Comment

Gate Radio, would have have the video highlights from yesterdays game. I heard the tying goal was a must see.

Comment

It was mentioned on the Time Warner television broadcast (the Buffalo-area one with Kevin Sylvester and Rob Ray) that Long did not play against Canisius because Coach Vaughan wanted to give him a break after a very demanding finals week. And as Coach has mentioned recently, the team had one goalie during the Chicago trip as both Evin and Bessette were out with injuries.

As for last night and Friday night's highlights, I'd imagine those would be cut and put up tomorrow or Tuesday. Really though, I don't have an idea what's going on with those as it has been kind of taken up by some of the CUTV kids and others that have helped out with RaiderVision. I'm out of the loop on that for the most part and didn't know the CUTV kids would be broadcasting the game until the last minute.

One other note. We're officially giving away tickets to the Cornell game on this week's Don Vaughan show at the Colgate Inn. Not sure how we're doing it yet but tune in on 93.9 FM or Colgate All-Access (or come down for the show) if you want a chance to win tickets. The show is at 7:00 PM on Tuesday.
                Last edited by 'Gate Radio; 01-25-2010, 12:39 PM. Reason: show details added.

Comment

Originally posted by just wondering View Post
                  Long played two games in Chicago and then at SLU and I vaguely remember the radio announcer saying that he couldn't play at Canisius due to an academic issue.
                  Long did not have an academic issue. I believe the coaches wanted to give him a break and give Bessette a chance at a start.

Comment

My bad. Thank you Gate Radio for setting me straight.

Comment

Now the rubber meets the road...a split this weekend is a must, but frankly, to make any serious run for the top four we need three or four points...watched most of the first RMU game but missed the second and don't really know what line combinations (specifically first and second lines) were used in game #2 and what we can expect this weekend. In goal it appears it's Evin's to run with...

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                        Now the rubber meets the road...a split this weekend is a must, but frankly, to make any serious run for the top four we need three or four points...watched most of the first RMU game but missed the second and don't really know what line combinations (specifically first and second lines) were used in game #2 and what we can expect this weekend. In goal it appears it's Evin's to run with...
                        A split? This has to be about 3 or 4 points, whether we're thinking Top 4 or just home ice. We beat a struggling Clarkson team, then went toe-to-toe for 50 minutes with a pretty good SLU squad in a building where we never have success. Getting both of them at home, especially SLU who traditionally struggles here? This has to be a weekend where a move up the ladder is made (I wouldn't complain, of course, if SLU wound up in a massive brawl with Cornell on Friday with multiple player suspensions )

As for line combos, CollegeHockeyStats.net has:

Friday (4-1 Win)
                        Bourdon - Cox - Williams
                        Brisebois - McIntyre - Prockow
                        Firman - Day - Smith
                        Long - Corrin - Carty

Price - McNamara
                        Larkin - Poplawski
                        McPherson - Leidl

Saturday (3-3 Tie)
                        Same except for:
                        Nasca for Long on the 4th line
                        Sinz for Leidl on the 3rd Pair
                        ECAC Champions: 1990
                        NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
                        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
                        ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
                        NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
                        Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

We need to beat SLU if we want to move up in the standings. If we beat Clarkson but tie SLU that's not good enough. And Clarkson always plays us tough in our building.

I thought this would be a rebuilding year for SLU as they graduated a lot of good players last year. But there they are near the top -- I guess they still have a lot of good players.

But so do we. Our guys just need to be more consistent.

Comment

Francois Brisebois and Kevin McNamara will be joining Don Vaughan on the Colgate Coaches Show tomorrow night at the Colgate Inn at 7:00 pm. Remember we're going to be giving away tickets to the Feb. 16 home game against Cornell.

Comment

Question about next years class. There have been a ton of players committing over the last 2 weeks to different schools for next year on the Heisenberg list. Colgate lists 3 forwards and 2 goalies for next year. Is that all we need or are there more to come?

Comment

Originally posted by wahoo62 View Post
                                Question about next years class. There have been a ton of players committing over the last 2 weeks to different schools for next year on the Heisenberg list. Colgate lists 3 forwards and 2 goalies for next year. Is that all we need or are there more to come?
                                Just six seniors on the team this year so that's pretty much everyone for next year between the five newcomers and then another transfer player who is mentioned elsewhere in the thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X