This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2009-2010

Colskate, if you could provide the link to your quote that would be great. If it's in an article I'd love to read it.
    Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

One quick note on prospects, recruiting, "A" prospects, B, etc. (No offense to Harvard and ND on this, it's just the first example that comes to mind.)

Harvard has six NHL draft picks on its' roster including first-round pick Louis Leblanc and fourth-round pick Alexander Fallstrom. Along with those two, they have highly regarded freshmen Marshall Everson, David Valek, Brendan Rempel and Danny Biega. Harvard's freshmen class was ranked fifth in the nation by INCH. And among returning players, Harvard had a former Ken Dryden Award winner (Kyle Richter) and standout seniors Doug Rogers and Alex Biega.

Now, one would think that with all those dynamite players with long lists of press clippings, the Crimson would be one of the best teams in the league. Heading into mid-January, Harvard is 2-10-2 overall and 2-5-2 in ECAC hockey. The team is winless in non-conference action this year with just the Beanpot remaining.

Notre Dame's incoming class was ranked ahead of Harvard and the Irish are coming off a CCHA championship and an NCAA tournament appearance. The team has 10 NHL draft picks. And while Notre Dame did defeat Colgate a few weeks ago, the team is currently 9-10-5 and 5-7-4 in the CCHA. As it stands now, ND is tied for seventh in its' league and just fell out of the PWR rankings for the first time in a while.

Union has zero NHL draft picks and the Dutch are in first place right now in ECAC Hockey.

All that said, this is just a reminder to those of you that get ants in the pants about recruiting and incoming player rankings that it doesn't matter what you do before you step onto the ice at the collegiate level. There are exceptions but just because a school isn't bringing in quote-un-quote "A" level prospects, it doesn't mean they're not going to win games.

Comment

Great point Gate Radio on the rankings of incoming recruits. A high ranking does not always translate to a great college player or more importantly a great team mate for that matter. I'm sure that both Harvard and Boston University thought this was their year based on their last few years of recruiting.

That being said the kid from Des Moines coming to play net is the real deal. That is going to be an interesting situation next year unless one of the two under classman this year take the bull by the horns the second half.

Comment

Originally posted by wahoo62 View Post
          That being said the kid from Des Moines coming to play net is the real deal. That is going to be an interesting situation next year unless one of the two under classman this year take the bull by the horns the second half.
          I think I've heard that before about incoming goalies...

We will never have a true number 1 unless coaching starts treating someone like a true number 1. Frankly I think the goalie problem is a big part a coaching problem.

Also, this staff apparently doesn't know how to play with depth. For too many years they've coached a two player team. Now they have 3, maybe even 4 solid lines and they still burn out their top guys. Appears they only have confidence in a couple of players. Maybe they should try rolling four lines and see what happens. The more we get the full lineup involved the better our top guys play. Everyone gets into the game flow and the whole team looks solid. Canisius through Chicago looked like the coaches were in panic mode and trying to ride our horses until they killed them!

Comment

• Re: Best Prospects Website

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
            Next weekend it's back to business. We have the Saints and Knights, then Robert Morris x2, then the North Country duo again at Starr. None of these opponents are incredibly difficult to defeat.
            I know why you say this - on paper, maybe; otherwise I think it's foolish to speculate such things! The most consistent teams have been Union and Yale, but ask Miami after this past weekend and they'd say anything can happen. We desperately need to get some points over the lower echelon of the league b/c we can't seem to muster any points against ranked opponents and have only beaten 2 teams with winning records (RPI, RIT).
            C O L G A T E
            2023 ECAC CHAMPION
            1990 NCAA FINALS
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
            ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
            ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Woodstick View Post
              I think I've heard that before about incoming goalies...

We will never have a true number 1 unless coaching starts treating someone like a true number 1. Frankly I think the goalie problem is a big part a coaching problem.

Also, this staff apparently doesn't know how to play with depth. For too many years they've coached a two player team. Now they have 3, maybe even 4 solid lines and they still burn out their top guys. Appears they only have confidence in a couple of players. Maybe they should try rolling four lines and see what happens. The more we get the full lineup involved the better our top guys play. Everyone gets into the game flow and the whole team looks solid. Canisius through Chicago looked like the coaches were in panic mode and trying to ride our horses until they killed them!
              And The Starter is ???

This team has been roling 4 lines all year. Any additional ice-time has been given to Specialty team situations, which is usually the more experienced players on any team in any league, including Professional.

Comment

Doghok- I agree playing time does get distorted some by PK and PP, but not sure you are watching the same games that I am. And I do pay attention to line rotations and situational play. Coaches have not been rolling three or four lines; especially not in Canisius or Chicago. Clearly over played line 1 & 2.

Comment

Your 3rd and 4th line guys need to be your PK guys, unless you need a short handed goal at the end of the game. Your first 2 lines should be your PP guys. Depending on the flow of the game the first line should and will play more. Times like, the shift right after a PK, a faceoff in the offensive end near the end of a period, an icing call on the other team after a long shift that keeps the other teams tired line on the ice. This should always be your best offensive guys.

Rolling 4 lines all the time makes no sense. Your best players should get more ice and have the opportunity to create more offense. Look at the minutes played on any pro team and see the difference between first line guys and 4th line guys. 21 plus minutes for a first liner 11-13 minutes per game for a 4th line guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodstick View Post
                    Doghok- I agree playing time does get distorted some by PK and PP, but not sure you are watching the same games that I am. And I do pay attention to line rotations and situational play. Coaches have not been rolling three or four lines; especially not in Canisius or Chicago. Clearly over played line 1 & 2.
                    I am fairly certain, that the top line wasn't together in the Caniscus game, as it was missing Mac, however while I was not present, I did watch the game on the internet, and at the half way point in the third, they may have shortened the bench.

Anyway, college hockey isn't that much different than Pro Hockey, in the sense that you earn the trust of the coaches in crucial situations, and time and experience captures more ice time.

Other than rare situations, Upperclassmen usually get more icetime than lowerclassmen.

Comment

Wahoo

You say the goalie coming in is the real deal, can u elaborate more on him please ??? His GAA is almost 4.00 Thanks
                      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                        Wahoo

You say the goalie coming in is the real deal, can u elaborate more on him please ??? His GAA is almost 4.00 Thanks
                        I'll jump in here. Mihalik recently won a gold medal with Team USA at the World Jr. A Challenge (different from the IIHF tournament in Saskatoon). He made 28 saves in the gold medal game and led all tournament goaltenders with a .940 save percentage and a 1.50 goals against average.

He posted good numbers last season in the Eastern Jr. League for the Bay State Breakers and I think this year may be the case of being a good goalie on a bad team. Since, obviously with a good team in front of him he put up good numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post
                          Colskate, if you could provide the link to your quote that would be great. If it's in an article I'd love to read it.
                          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Radio is right.

The Des Moines team is one of the youngest in the USHL. The 2 forwards that they are sending to the USHL All Star game are both 92;s. They had some coaching issues very late into the training camp (coach couldn't get a visa) so they grabbed a new coach in September I believe. Because the team appeared unstable late into the camp/tryout phase August and September they really didn't do a good job with their team, not a lot of veterans.

So don't let the GAA fool you. He is a very sound goalie.

Comment

Great...tyvm !!!
                              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Nice to see Yale lose last night to Harvard. That brings them back to the pack as well. This is really any teams league to win at this point.

Not the USHL but at least the recruits are making an impact in their league.

EJHL ANNOUNCES ALL-STAR GAME ROSTERS

Date: Jan 11, 2010

Boston, MA- The Eastern Junior Hockey League is proud to host its seventeenth annual All Star Game festivities in conjunction with the Tri-Town Ice Arena and the New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs.

This year's contest will take place at 2:00 PM on Monday, January 18, 2010 and will feature some of the best players from each of the EJHL's fourteen teams. The game itself will be one game of three twenty-minute periods. For the fifth consecutive year, the EJHL All-Star Game will be preceded by the Empire Junior Hockey League's all-star games. The Empire League is the official development partner for the EJHL.

SOUTHERN DIVISION

Forwards: John Mousso (Bridgewater Bandits), Chris Wagner (South Shore Kings), Charlie Coyle (South Shore Kings), Shane Walsh (South Shore Kings), John Swavely (Jersey Hitmen), Will Fredrick (Jersey Hitmen), Luke Hannon (Jersey Hitmen), Mike Garlasco (New York Apple Core), Corey Lillie (New York Apple Core), Adam Mitchell (Bay State Breakers), Brian Schultz (South Shore Kings), Colin South (Bay State Breakers).

Defensemen: Nolan Descoteaux (South Shore Kings), Jason Binley (Jersey Hitmen), Mike Slowikowski (Jersey Hitmen), Brendan Corcoran (Bay State Breakers), Arthur Griem (New York Apple Core), Jack Callahan (Jersey Hitmen), Eric Drapluk (Philadelphia Revolution), Jacob Hoefler (New York Apple Core)

Goaltenders: Brad Barone (South Shore Kings), Courtney Lockwood (Springfield Pics)

NORTHERN DIVISION

Forwards: Ryan Farnan (Syracuse Stars), Joe Wilson (Syracuse Stars), Matt Esposito (Green Mountain Glades), Justin Breton (Junior Bruins), Joe Pendenza (Junior Bruins), Brad Peltz (Junior Bruins), Trent Ruffolo (New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs), Zak Stone (New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs), Alex Gacek (New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs), Jamie Ferullo (New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs), Anton Bernard (Valley Jr. Warriors), Mike Henrici (Capital District Selects)

Defensemen: Zach Marginsky (Syracuse Stars), Danny Federico (Junior Bruins), Colin Shea (Junior Bruins), Brice O'Connor (New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs), Trevor vanRiemsdyk (New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs), Jacob Rutt (New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs), Thomas Kader (Valley Jr. Warriors), Jordan Ciccarello (Green Mountain Glades)

Goaltenders: Brian Billett (New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs), Brian Robbins (Capital District Selects).

Congratulations to all selected players.

Comment

Working...
                                X