X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2009-2010

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
    There was some discussion of this last night and I think the coach gets to choose. I also think the coach can actually refuse the penalty shot and take the power play instead. I don't know what the stats show but I would guess that the penalty shot conversion rate is well below 50%.

Good luck the rest of the way except of course when Union tries to break the "Starr Curse" later this season.
    Thankfully, the NCAA publishes its' rulebook online. Let's go to the specific rule.

Rule 4, Section 6
    SECTION 6. a. When any infraction of the rules calls for a penalty shot
    not involving a major, disqualification or misconduct penalty, the nonoffending
    team shall be given the option of accepting the penalty shot
    or having a minor penalty assessed to the offending player. If, however,
    a major, disqualification or misconduct penalty is incurred with the
    penalty shot, the shot shall be awarded and the penalty for the prescribed
    infraction shall be assessed.

d. When a penalty shot is awarded under Rules 2-5-h, i and 6-34-e (illegal
    entry into the game), 6-10-f (in the last two minutes of regulation
    time or anytime during overtime, displacing the goal post, goalkeeper
    removing the helmet and/or face mask, or deliberately displacing the
    goal to prevent the puck from entering the goal at any time) or 6-16-b
    (defending player falling on, holding or gathering the puck into the body
    or hands when the puck in within the goal crease), the captain of the
    offending team shall designate any player who is not serving a penalty
    at that time to take the penalty shot. Such selection shall be reported to
    the referee and cannot be changed.
    When a penalty shot is awarded under Rules 6-29-e (interference) and
    6-59-b (fouling from behind), the referee shall designate the player who has
    been fouled as the player who shall take the penalty shot.

When a penalty shot is awarded under Rule 6-10-f (during the course of
    a breakaway, a goalkeeper or player deliberately displaces the goal post or a
    goalkeeper deliberately removes the helmet and/or face mask), the penalty
    shot shall be taken by the player last in possession of the puck.

The bolded portion is the correct application of the rule which was not enforced on Friday night. Zajac should've taken the shot since he was the one that was being hooked by McNamara.

Comment

Thanks to Gate Radio for doing the research. It seems obvious that the refs blew the call and thankfully it didn't make a difference in the outcome.

Comment

Great win last night. I share the optimism of many of you that we have a good chance to make some noise in the second half. The frosh have some experience now, and hopefully we can get the guys physically fit for that 12/20 Canisius game.

I like the "French Connection 2.5" line; it's great to see the scoring spread around. Bourdon is showing true grit, and Brisebois has emerged as a real threat from anywhere on the ice. Prockow seems to play well with those two linemates.

Note to GR: you were cutting out again throughout the Union game, not so much during the RPI game. Any way of checking your wiring or upgrading the equipment to improve listening to the games??...
        COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
          Great win last night. I share the optimism of many of you that we have a good chance to make some noise in the second half. The frosh have some experience now, and hopefully we can get the guys physically fit for that 12/20 Canisius game.

I like the "French Connection 2.5" line; it's great to see the scoring spread around. Bourdon is showing true grit, and Brisebois has emerged as a real threat from anywhere on the ice. Prockow seems to play well with those two linemates.

Note to GR: you were cutting out again throughout the Union game, not so much during the RPI game. Any way of checking your wiring or upgrading the equipment to improve listening to the games??...
          Unfortunately, I know. It's been something we've been working on trying to fix for the last few weeks. I believe it is just a matter of having our engineer give the Vector a once over to see if there are any shorts and/or built-up dirt in it. Just a matter of getting it to Oneonta and checked out. Believe me, it's as frustrating for me as it is for all of you. Hopefully it won't be a problem in the second half of the season.

Comment

It was a great win last night, and a pretty good first half if you ask me. 5-3-1 in league play right now, and I think it's the best we've been in years at this point. I'll take it. I think Brown and Yale did us all, not only themselves, a favor by keeping the Bobcats close. I mean, a Cornell win last night would have meant a tie for first place between them. All in all, hoping for a speedy recovery to all the players and a Happy Holidays to everyone.
            Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Two points on the road is always something to be happy about!!! Still feel more confident with Long in goal but always nice to hear when one of our own stops a penalty shot!

It's great to see the team improving on many levels. Wish we could hold onto a (comfortable) lead and didn't allow the pp goals, but our SOGs are up and overall I'd say this is a solid first half to the season and that it's just nice to be in the driver's seat for a while!
              C O L G A T E
              2023 ECAC CHAMPION
              1990 NCAA FINALS
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
              ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
              ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/news...207090055.aspx

Colgate Third Jerseys On Sale To Public

Hockey fans can reserve their own game-worn Colgate third jersey and help two charities and the fundraising arm of the Raiders’ men’s hockey program.

These jerseys (as shown in the picture) will be sold to the public for $200. Proceeds of this year’s sale will go to the Hamilton Food Cupboard, Toys for Tots as well as the Silver Puck Club.

Colgate donned these jerseys for the first time November 21 in a 5-4 overtime victory over Princeton at Starr Rink. While the raiders are slated to wear these a couple more times this season, fans can immediately call and reserve a jersey. If you have a favorite player, or number, or just want to donate towards some great causes, please call Michelle Reese at (315) 228-7570 to reserve your authentic third jersey. Delivery date will transpire later on in the hockey season.

Comment

bump
                  Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

FYI, our turncoat brother, TchrBill, has once again won the weekly "ECAC Pick 'em" by picking against 'Gate...

Not only that, but he has taken the overall lead in the contest for the season....

Is nothing sacred??? For shame Bill!

Comment

What a travesty....I agree with you Colskate !!!
                      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

I don't know, picking against Colgate doesn't seem like such a great idea this year (we do have a winning record, after all )

I promise, picking us in every game hasn't hurt me that much (it's my picks in the other games that are friggin' killing me...)
                        ECAC Champions: 1990
                        NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
                        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
                        ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
                        NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
                        Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

Bump....Hey, I'm leading the nation in INCH Pickem !! Only fifth in ECAC pick the standings. Heal up boys....why we play Canisius this Sunday anyways ?
                          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Bump.

Congrats Shabby! Keep up the good work. I'm way back in 47th place in ECAC picks....

Don't know why we are playing Canisius. Does it have something to do with their academic schedule??..

Comment

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet.

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|WSH|home

ARLINGTON, Va. – The Washington Capitals have recalled defenseman Karl Alzner and center Kyle Wilson from the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League (AHL) and assigned center Mathieu Perreault to Hershey, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today.

As for the Canisius game, I believe it's a reciprocal game from a trip Canisius made to Colgate during the 2006-07 season. That game featured 35 combined penalties (called by Frank Murphy), 32 power plays (each went 0-for-16) and nine Colgate goals in a 9-0 Raiders win. Twenty-six of the penalties were called in the second and third period, mostly for obstruction and stick fouls.

Also, another random note. Listening to the radio on the way home from a football playoff game on Saturday, apparently Scooter Smith has left the SPHL and is now playing for the ECHL's Toledo Walleye. He was playing for Toledo against Elmira this past Saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                                Don't know why we are playing Canisius. Does it have something to do with their academic schedule??..
                                I don't mind the Canisius game. Given they've got a tough matchup with Notre Dame right after New Year's, I prefer another competitive game with a local opponent on the ice so the team isn't sitting for a month

I remember that 06-07 game. Canisius took a ton of penalties because they were a step behind the whole game. Colgate looked pretty impressive, but the constant whistles really chopped up the flow (as you might expect)
                                ECAC Champions: 1990
                                NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
                                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
                                ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
                                NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
                                Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

Working...
                                X