PDA

View Full Version : College Entrance Exams

Pages : [1] 2

jen
08-26-2009, 09:23 AM
which exams have you taken? just curious, especially about the regional divide between ACT and SAT.

Ralph Baer
10-27-2009, 11:20 AM
ACT is leading?

Western bias! :D

wolverineTrumpet
10-30-2009, 12:39 PM
ACT is leading?

Isn't it supposed to be Eastern bias? This poll must be messed up.

As for regional stuff, I grew up in Maryland and took the SAT. I went to college in Michigan and pretty much everyone here takes the ACT. It was always weird when people wanted to compare scores.

Priceless
11-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Isn't it supposed to be Eastern bias? This poll must be messed up.

Poles are irrelevant!

moe24
11-17-2009, 11:55 AM
ACT is leading?

Isn't that in-state school bias? When I was in HS we were all told that no matter what state you lived in you took the ACT for in-state schools and the SAT for out-of-state schools. Is that no longer true?

Biddco
12-02-2009, 03:41 PM
I was always taught that ACT was Midwest/Middle of the country and SAT was East and West Coast

I took the ACT and only applied to schools within Minnesota. Students who wanted to go out east or west had to take the SAT. Or like a buddy of mine who just took it for fun.

Beer Pong Horn
12-02-2009, 03:51 PM
I was always taught that ACT was Midwest/Middle of the country and SAT was East and West Coast

I took the ACT and only applied to schools within Minnesota. Students who wanted to go out east or west had to take the SAT. Or like a buddy of mine who just took it for fun.

They're also used if you're going for a National Merit Scholarship.

Biddco
12-02-2009, 03:59 PM
They're also used if you're going for a National Merit Scholarship.

YES! That's what friends of mine were doing then.

crazytechfan
12-07-2009, 01:15 AM
Took the PSAT twice (10th & 11th grade); was quite close to a NMS.

Took the ACT & considered taking the SAT because I'm badÔss at standardized tests.
Didn't end up taking it, but hey, I got into Tech. :cool: ;)

Yager
12-07-2009, 01:19 AM
I took the ACT and I applied to Tech, Purdue, Iowa, Michigan State (not by choice), Western Mich, Central, and some others in there somewhere.

crazytechfan
12-07-2009, 01:22 AM
I took the ACT and I applied to Tech, Purdue, Iowa, Michigan State (not by choice), Western Mich, Central, and some others in there somewhere.

So, here's the real question, what'd you get? :p

I only applied to MTU, Lawrence Tech, & Aquinas.
Lawrence Tech assumed I was going there until August, and threw some money at me.
Aquinas threw a crapton of money at me, and begged me to come (weekly phone calls, etc.) but I said no way in hell you crazy Catholics. :p

Ralph Baer
12-07-2009, 03:53 AM
Took the PSAT twice (10th & 11th grade); was quite close to a NMS. Have they done away with the NMSQT? It's hard to believe that threw away the chance to make more money.

kdilks
12-07-2009, 04:29 AM
Have they done away with the NMSQT? It's hard to believe that threw away the chance to make more money.

Technically it is now the "PSAT/NMSQT".

crazytechfan
12-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Technically it is now the "PSAT/NMSQT".

Ah, yes, I forgot about that.
I also took the ASVAB, which basically all of the students had to take. Didn't do too shabby on that either.

crazypotatoes
12-07-2009, 08:04 AM
I took the ACT the first time after staying out late the night before. I spaced out and brought the wrong calculator (you can't use a ti-89...) and still got a 27 on the Math section without one. I ended up with a 31 overall. I took it again just to see if I could do any better with a calculator, sleep and a good breakfast. I got another 31... (math went up 4 points, english went down 4, everything else stayed the same)

I took the SAT too. I don't think I did very well though, so it never got sent anywhere.

Anyway, I applied to Tech and got in around late October/early November. I also applied to Minnesota (waitlisted because of HS GPA, got in around April/May) and I was accepted to Tech (my first choice) before I got around to applying to Duluth.

crazytechfan
12-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Anyway, I applied to Tech and got in around late October/early November. I also applied to Minnesota (waitlisted because of HS GPA, got in around April/May) and I was accepted to Tech (my first choice) before I got around to applying to Duluth.

Good job. :) You might be more intelligent than I thought.
You're just like me with the GPA bull, it seems. I got a 33 on the ACT (36 reading, 33 math & science, 31 english), but graduated with like.. a 3.1.

Yager
12-08-2009, 01:49 AM
I graduated with just under a 3.8 and in the top 10% of my class but I did terrible on the ACT all three times that I took it because I could never finish over half of the exam. Plus I fell asleep for almost an hour during one of them. It was way too early for someone working on 2-4 hours of sleep every single night (except weekends) and playing HS hockey. So I ended up getting two 21's and a 19. I still got in to everywhere I applied to. Except Purdue wouldn't let me in to their college of engineering until I proved myself there first.

Dude Love
12-08-2009, 01:57 AM
I gt a 23 on my ACT.

MinnesotaNorthStar
12-08-2009, 02:09 AM
I got a 27 on my ACT, I think.

Got into Purdue with a HS GPA below 3.0. :)

kdilks
12-08-2009, 02:37 AM
ACT was 32 or 33 (36 math, 35 science, 29 reading iirc), SAT was 1350+, GPA was 3.65 . Good enough for Michigan honors college, not good enough for Caltech/MIT/Princeton.

For grad school, GRE generals were Verbal 590/800, Math 800/800, Writing 5.5/6.0. GRE subject test in math was 860/900 (96th percentile). Got an NSF Graduate Research Fellowship due to the stimulus package, waitlisted at MIT until almost the last day (so I probably only needed to kill one person to get in there...), fellowship offer at Minnesota (where I am now), fellowship offers at Rutgers and Washington, regular offers at UC San Diego and Berkeley.