Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN HOCKEY 09-10 - Climbing The Mountain (7th Edition?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WISCONSIN HOCKEY 09-10 - Climbing The Mountain (7th Edition?)

Have I missed something but I see that both Springer and Thurber have only played in one game and Little has not played in any? Whats the take with these three?

Comment

Originally posted by Cheese4ever View Post
      Have I missed something but I see that both Springer and Thurber have only played in one game and Little has not played in any? Whats the take with these three?
      Let's see on the D side 5 future NHL players and a very solid freshman in Ramage are the reason Springer and Little are not playing.

Thurber is close to getting into the line up.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
        I just don't get it. Last night I was watching 5 or 6 different NHL games and really watching their power plays. Toronto w/ Kessel had **** near 60 SOG and it seemed most were on power plays. Pass, pass, pass, shoot off the pass, etc, etc, etc. Numerous shots from the points when they were able and NUMEROUS rebounds & goals. The big boys rarely work it down low because the D will just eat you up.

You guys are probably sick & tired of me posting this, but I cannot understand why this isn't done. I rarely see it here, not to mention other college games.

EDIT: Come on, I'm not the only Monday morning QB on the power play; any other thoughts?
        Simply put.....Jamie McBain, i think we are seeing how valuable he really was to our PP, he didn't miss many games in his career but the ones he did the PP struggled a lot. I don't understand why we don't have somebody with a little better hands and puck movement pointing it like Ben Street or goloubef but this having schultz on the +1 until is not working out...
        The Quest For 7

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
          Let's see on the D side 5 future NHL players and a very solid freshman in Ramage are the reason Springer and Little are not playing.

Thurber is close to getting into the line up.
          I would not touch our D right now unless a injury happened. I never saw them being this solid already and Ramage is a nice surprise, i thought C. Johnson would get the nod to start the year over Ramage but I was wrong and I think we are a better team for it. To be honest I wouldn't touch our lineup right now, as much as I like Dolan I can't see him bringing anything extra to the table for that 4th line unless Patrick Johnson starts to regress again.
          The Quest For 7

Comment

I just don't get it. Last night I was watching 5 or 6 different NHL games and really watching their power plays. Toronto w/ Kessel had **** near 60 SOG and it seemed most were on power plays. Pass, pass, pass, shoot off the pass, etc, etc, etc. Numerous shots from the points when they were able and NUMEROUS rebounds & goals. The big boys rarely work it down low because the D will just eat you up.

You guys are probably sick & tired of me posting this, but I cannot understand why this isn't done. I rarely see it here, not to mention other college games.

EDIT: Come on, I'm not the only Monday morning QB on the power play; any other thoughts?
            It all comes down to the quality of the passing. Passing in the NHL is much crisper and they can shoot off the pass so much easier. It seems that with at least every other pass for UW the player receiving the pass has to take a second or two to gather himself or the pass and by then the PKers have already adjusted.

Untill the passing improves, the best thing that they can do is move the puck down low.

It also helps that many of the college games are played on Olympic sized ice rather then the narrower NHL sized ice, it's important on the PP to keep the puck off the boards and in the NHL the reduced spacing makes it easier for the PKers to attack the player with the puck on mid-boards.

Comment

The passing in college hockey is generally not very good (certainly not when compared to the pros). It's the way it is. A good early season indicator of how far a team is going is how good are they at passing and receiving. I remeber watching the 1990 team early in the season and thinking, these guys are going places. It was clear from their passing.

Comment

Numerous shots from the points when they were able and NUMEROUS rebounds & goals.
                I've been saying this for...YEARS...and more this year than ever before. I watch all the 'Hawks games, and this is how they score most of their PP goals. Keith, Seabrook, or Campbell throw it on net, Buff, Brouwer, and company pound away for rebounds. Seems to work for them, could never figure out why UW doesn't just try this for a game or two.

Comment

Originally posted by aktick View Post
                  I've been saying this for...YEARS...and more this year than ever before. I watch all the 'Hawks games, and this is how they score most of their PP goals. Keith, Seabrook, or Campbell throw it on net, Buff, Brouwer, and company pound away for rebounds. Seems to work for them, could never figure out why UW doesn't just try this for a game or two.
                  Why the confused face?

If there's one thing that Eaves mentions over and over and over again, it's how the majority of all goals are scored on the rebound.

If they're not doing it, it's sure not for a lack of trying.
                  "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Eaves has a good point that the PK is more important than the PP and timeliness is more critical when it comes to the PP.

QUESTION #11: Terribly unfair hypothetical, would you rather have a really outstanding power play or an outstanding penalty kill? That’s not a reflection on your current status, because your power play has the potential, and your PK is doing really well. But would you rather have, if you could only choose one or the other, where would you go?

EAVES: Can I give a hypothetical answer, so it doesn’t mean anything? You know what, in a game like Saturday, I would like the great penalty killing, because it was something that we had to have in order to win that game, because it was such a turning point. So it really depends on the game. You know, you go back to the championship game against Boston College, it was a power play that came through. Although our team’s power play that year wasn’t what you would call unbelievable. It was solid. I think it was between 15 and 17%. But a lot of times on power play, Andy, it’s not what your percentage is, it’s when you score. It’s getting that big goal when you need it, and to me, I guess in kind of talking this out loud, I would rather have a great penalty killing and then timely goals by our power play. Well, that worked out well.
                    Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                      Why the confused face?

If there's one thing that Eaves mentions over and over and over again, it's how the majority of all goals are scored on the rebound.

If they're not doing it, it's sure not for a lack of trying.
                      Part of the problem is that many of UW's shots from the point are buzzing the heads of the players down low. Rebounds come from shots that stay down low on the the way in.

Two, the shots need to actual make it to the net. Given the problem with passing that have already been mentioned, they can't get much of a shooting lane and just shoot into the body of the defender.

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                        Why the confused face?
                        Ermmmm...because they don't actually DO this? They always look for the perfect one-timer or back door pass. Which is fantastic when it works. But these guys get it to work so seldom that it seems a waste of time.

3/4 of the shots that come from the point have no man in front, no screen. Easy save. No rebound. They have plenty of big bodies and tough guys with decent hands that can do this dirty work. But they aren't really offered the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by aktick View Post
                          Ermmmm...because they don't actually DO this? They always look for the perfect one-timer or back door pass. Which is fantastic when it works. But these guys get it to work so seldom that it seems a waste of time.

3/4 of the shots that come from the point have no man in front, no screen. Easy save. No rebound. They have plenty of big bodies and tough guys with decent hands that can do this dirty work. But they aren't really offered the chance.
                          Well yes, but let's just step back and remember that coaching isn't easy. On either end - for the coach or for the player.

Just trying to offer a different perspective.
                          "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

my other blog

Comment

Once again no TV coverage for the Badgers. One would think the Big Ten network would telecast this series. But then again, that would not allow them to run the Big Tens greatest moments:mad. What a waste that network is!

Comment

Originally posted by sinbin5 View Post
                              Once again no TV coverage for the Badgers. One would think the Big Ten network would telecast this series. But then again, that would not allow them to run the Big Tens greatest moments:mad. What a waste that network is!
                              Pathetic, here is something from big ten networks fb page regarding this weekend. So fans want to watch Womens NCAA bball??? Doubt it...

"The right issues for hockey are complicated because Big Ten schools play in the CCHA and the WCHA. Therefore, the Big Ten doesn't own the rights to any of these games. For this weekend's College Hockey Showcase, Comcast is showing one game, FSN North is showing another and we're streaming ... See Morethe other two. In the future, we'd love to add more hockey games to our schedule.

As you can imagine, the network's overall programming goal is to televise the events that the most fans want to watch. However, the Big Ten Network strives to be fair to all universities and to all sports. Another important aspect of the decision-making process is finding appealing matchups."

"Hope this helps explain the thought process".

and no it doesn't help explain the thought process.. haha
                              The Quest For 7

Comment

It's kinda simple, really.

THEY DON'T CONTROL THE RIGHTS TO THE GAMES.

my other blog

Comment

Working...
                                X