Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WISCONSIN HOCKEY 09-10 - Climbing The Mountain (7th Edition?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WISCONSIN HOCKEY 09-10 - Climbing The Mountain (7th Edition?)

Mixed feelings on the weekend for me. Friday showed good initial effort and then with a couple of defensive breakdowns and a lack of finishing/hitting pipes they ended up losing. Then they looked a little more tired and less put together last night, only managing a tie. Overall, I expected more than one point out of this weekend; it may be the first two games this team has played, but it's still a home conference series and you still need to get some more points out of it.

Nonetheless, I think we saw some talent and some bright spots. Both the goaltenders looked fine; Bennett does handle the puck nicely though he made me a little nervous once or twice there, and Goody was solid on Saturday. Our freshman really don't look that freshman-like; I was extremely impressed with the two freshmen D as there was not nearly the number of errors I might have expected given just that freshmen D tend to be scary.

They've got to start putting together some wins, though, and soon; I have higher expectations for this team than the one-point weekend we ultimately got.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hallucination View Post
      Mixed feelings on the weekend for me. Friday showed good initial effort and then with a couple of defensive breakdowns and a lack of finishing/hitting pipes they ended up losing. Then they looked a little more tired and less put together last night, only managing a tie. Overall, I expected more than one point out of this weekend; it may be the first two games this team has played, but it's still a home conference series and you still need to get some more points out of it.

Nonetheless, I think we saw some talent and some bright spots. Both the goaltenders looked fine; Bennett does handle the puck nicely though he made me a little nervous once or twice there, and Goody was solid on Saturday. Our freshman really don't look that freshman-like; I was extremely impressed with the two freshmen D as there was not nearly the number of errors I might have expected given just that freshmen D tend to be scary.

They've got to start putting together some wins, though, and soon; I have higher expectations for this team than the one-point weekend we ultimately got.
      1 word, RUSTY...

had UW played 2 games like CC had i think the results would have been different, Lucky to get a tie on saturday without Smith, Geoffrion and Davies in the lineup.

I thought Podge Turnbull played very well all weekend. Looks like Goody played the best out of the weekend although bennett never really got tested like goody so its difficult to compare.

Our Defense is going to be unreal this year...
      The Quest For 7

Comment

I should clarify that my earlier post, expressing some optimism and good feelings about Friday's outcome, was made before Saturday's game. While I still think we can fix the mistakes and that we have a good team overall, Saturday made it look like that'll be a bit tougher. Simply put, we played sloppy hockey - lots of missed passes, a few shots that went nowhere, etc. Seemed like the team just wasn't trying too hard. It may be that we're just a little rusty coming out of the summer, but we have to break out of that awfully fast here.

One bright spot - the freshmen on the team seem do like they're adjusting quickly. (I know I'm not the first one to say this, but I agree with what's been said.) On both Friday and Saturday, the only way I could tell them apart from the upperclassmen was by the names and numbers on the jerseys - nothing made it look like the new guys were playing hesitantly or making "new-guy" sorts of mistakes. That's encouraging.

Originally posted by terrierhockey View Post
        It's interesting to hear you say that Bennett looked quite comfortable handling the puck outside of goal. This was one facet of his game that he couldn't harness during the last third of his season at BU (particularly his last 5-6 games in a BU sweater). Sure it seems like a long time ago, but it sounds like he's improved, and good for him. Still very early to make evaluations, of course...will he be starting in goal going forward?
        Seems to me like he's doing pretty well with that - must've been some improvement in his year in the USHL. I believe he and Gudmandson are alternating for the beginning of the season (Gudmandson played Saturday this weekend), although others here probably know that situation better than I do.
        RPI '08, UW '09. Let's go RED!

Comment

Originally posted by Fired View Post
          What does everybody think of Eaves benching what could have been two different playmakers ? Davies again, and Brendan Smith ? Smith most likely because he looked like goat last night, but the continuation of Davies for the entire weekend has me to believe the coach doesn't like things he has seen from him in practice, or Davies made some sort of egregious error that he somehow had to pay for, sitting the entire weekend.

I know a lot of Badger fans are tired of Brendan Smith's lack of defense in his own end, but he came in as one of the most highly touted freshman in his class. How much longer do we wait for him to turn it around ? Or does risking an offensive conversion count-balance his apparent shortcomings on defense ? I would say at this point, that if the rest of the team were able to CAPITALIZE and put away the scoring chances he creates, there would be more acceptance for his gaffes on defense.

From what I saw this weekend, we really need to learn how to take chances into conversions. To be able to do what CC did, at least on Friday, and capitalize on those few chances the other team allows, is something I think so far lacks in this team. Yeah, it was the first series of the year, so I'm not being too down about it. But I hope this team is able to turn it around, and if they can bury those chances, they could make a bit of noise this year.
          I will contribute Brendan Smiths benching partly to him not being paired of up with Craig Johnson, A stay at home d-man who knows the system and knows Smiths Tendency's... instead of a freshman in Rammage who even though played well, cannot be as familiar with Smith as Johnson is.
          As far as davies out all weekend, i would have liked to see him play at least saturday, you want to talk about how long is it going to take a player to grasp the idea, i think you have to look at davies more in that light then smith. He is a senior and this has happened to him in every season he has been here. I would like to see both him and Turnbull in the lineup on a nightly basis because I thought Podge Turnbull was at times the best UW player on the ice. There was def. not a lack of effort from him but i think our rusty power play could have used Mike Davies this weekend to get more then a point...
          The Quest For 7

Comment

By looking at the Wild schedule, looks like FS Wisconsin will be carrying a fair amount of Wild Games, counted 18 in all so they are at least getting hockey, just not much badger hockey!!!, wonder if they are still doing every bucks game this winter, that would suck. I also noticed instead of doing the badger game on saturday they showed big 12 Football, KU vs UC.. i'm sure wisconsin people just ate it up....
            The Quest For 7

Comment

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
              By looking at the Wild schedule, looks like FS Wisconsin will be carrying a fair amount of Wild Games, counted 18 in all so they are at least getting hockey, just not much badger hockey!!!, wonder if they are still doing every bucks game this winter, that would suck. I also noticed instead of doing the badger game on saturday they showed big 12 Football, KU vs UC.. i'm sure wisconsin people just ate it up....
              You have any idea the cost of doing a live TV broadcast? FSN was already doing the B12 game, the marginal costs of showing the B12 game in WI was zero.

FSN has enough data on the profitability of UW hockey vs all the other programing options. It says everything that they would take the other programing options.

Comment

I have to wonder about the Mark Johnson bandwagoners.

When...EVER, have you seen a person who coaches a women's team to success, then crossover coach a men's team and have that same success?

I'm intentionally leaving out Mark's prior stint with UW men, just because I think the above question doesn't have an answer??
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I only saw Friday's game, so that's all I can comment on. I was optimistic about the skill and effort then.

I'll add this one thing - this was UW's first series, while CC already had one under their belt.

Anyone jumping ship already is foolish, IMO. Give this team a chance to gel.
                  "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

I am about 95% sure if you tune in the Charter Extra Channel 87 this weekend you will see the Badgers and the Mavericks. On friday there will be a Pregame show starting at 7:00pm with the broadcast to follow. Then on Saturday the broadcast will start at 7:00pm again. I know the games will be on in Mankato area and should be on in all of Wisconsin. I will do some more checking and let you badger fans know. For more updates come the the College Hockey Weekend Fan Page on Facebook.

Also if you can't get the game on TV stop by the Facebook page, I will have highlights posted there after the games.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Colleg...2252423?ref=ts

Thanks College Hockey Fans!

Comment

Just to keep things clear, I will write this again, FS Wisconsin IS NOT FS North. FS North is from Minnesota (which is all we used to get here in Wisconsin, until FS Wisconsin was unveiled). FS Wisconsin is Bucks, Brewers, and the "occasional" Badger hockey game....NEVER Minnesota programming.

Not sure about DirecTV, but on DISH Net, FS North is 436 ALWAYS. FS Wisconsin is 444, 446, or wherever they feel like putting it. FS Wisconsin is NOT on 24/7; just once in a while.
                      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                        I only saw Friday's game, so that's all I can comment on. I was optimistic about the skill and effort then.

I'll add this one thing - this was UW's first series, while CC already had one under their belt.

Anyone jumping ship already is foolish, IMO. Give this team a chance to gel.
                        After standing around for the first 20 minutes, the effort level was pretty good in the final 2 periods on Saturday.

My concern is this having the feel of the last several years. They should have gotten at least one more point on the weekend. Already I feel like they are in a position to need to steal back a point after one home weekend series. I love their talent on the blueline, but they rely way too much on those guys hammering a pin point shot. The Friday night shot total was up, but too many were within 6 or 8 feet of the blueline. I just didn't see guys getting to the front of the crease as much as I'd like, even if it is simply to screen on those shots.
                        Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
                        2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
                        2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
                        Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
                          After standing around for the first 20 minutes, the effort level was pretty good in the final 2 periods on Saturday.

My concern is this having the feel of the last several years. They should have gotten at least one more point on the weekend. Already I feel like they are in a position to need to steal back a point after one home weekend series. I love their talent on the blueline, but they rely way too much on those guys hammering a pin point shot. The Friday night shot total was up, but too many were within 6 or 8 feet of the blueline. I just didn't see guys getting to the front of the crease as much as I'd like, even if it is simply to screen on those shots.
                          All valid concerns, but let's remember that this was the first series of the year. Give them some time to work on it.

Also, we hit the double-post not once, but twice.

I didn't see any glaring weaknesses. The D played well for the most part, but gave up some odd man rushes (and on one of those, Ramage took the shooter instead of the pass, giving CC an easy back-door goal). The offense generated lots of chances.

I thought UW was more physical and dominated possession for the most part.

Anyway, lots to build on.
                          "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Has anybody read anything about Derek Lee lately. Did I miss something?
                            University of Wisconsin: NCAA Champions 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyFanStuckInMI View Post
                              Has anybody read anything about Derek Lee lately. Did I miss something?
                              I have been wondering the same thing too. This team definately needs another creator on the ice and less grinders and he fits the bill perfectly.

Random thoughts....

I think UW needs Davies (43 assists in his last non-UW year), Thurber (41 assists), Lee (47 assists) and Stepan (67 assists) each on a line. Then add in a grinder/physical guy (Grotting, Dolan, Bendickson, Murray, Johnson, Turnbull) and add in a guy who can shoot the puck (Geoffrion, Bohmber, Smith, Street, Mitchell). This would make each line a threat to score and create all sorts of match-up issues for opposing teams.

Saturday Lines:

I'm really sick of wasting a center spot on Dolan. He's not a creator, he's not a finisher, he's a checker. Whoever is on his line isn't going to score (Grotting or Mitchell/Murray). But he is the the poster child for Eaves who loves guys who play hard, play the system responsibily and can't score a lick. The pathetic thing is once Lee finally starts playing, Dolan will still be chugging along on the 3rd or 4th line and Turber and Davies will still sit.

Thurber got paired with Turnbull/Johnson and Bendickson. Thurber is a creator, but who is he going to get to finish for him or have the talent and ability to get into a position to finish?

Stepan centered Smith and Bohmer - LOVE THIS LINE. That assist Stepan had Friday was an absolute thing of beauty. And I'm a believer in Bohmber. Smith showed good flashes.

Street centered Murray and Johnson. 2 energy guys and a scorer. Who creates? Oh wait, they dump and chase, no need to create.

Bennett's helmet is UGLY. That 2nd goal Friday was soft. I liked the way he played the puck out of the net. It's a new dimension UW could really take advantage of.

McD's hit on the CC captain should be the WCHA the hit of the year when it's all over.

Shocked Davies didn't play Saturday.

OZ said UW came out flat Saturday. How the hell can that happen? They just lost the night before against a team picked 8th who has a freshman goalie who had not played in front of that many people in total life combined. Flat? I'da been freaking p/o'ed if I was on the UW roster, ready to kill Saturday. Kick some *** and take some names you freaking pansies. Flat? This from a team who wore T-shirts all summer that said .0002. This team knows better than any team how razor sharp the edge is to making the ncaa's. They know they cannot leave anything in the tank or it very well may kill them. Come on boys. You talk the talk, but you don't walk the walk. I want dead splattered purple landcows all over the rodentsota countryside. Show us you give a ****.

Nothing less than 4 points from Kato will calm my frayed nerves.

How the hell am I going to fall asleep this wound up?
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

One would think a meaningful question of "What's going on with Derek Lee?" would get asked during Eaves weekly press conference. Guess that's not very important.
                                University of Wisconsin: NCAA Champions 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Comment

Working...
                                X