Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Outside College Hockey

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
    when i google CRHC and wisconsin, the first thing that pops up is a planned parenthood site. what exactly are we promoting here?

hahahaha nice, welcome to my liberal hell that is Madison, wisconsin, im not suprised...
    The Quest For 7

Comment

Though in reality, I think Steve, you were right in your first post... if Brett Farrrrrrrrrve weren't in the headlines every day in cheezyland, maybe there would have been more pub for anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
        And quite frankly i'll give uscho the benifit of the doubt and say the CRHC was made news at a bad time to get the proper attention, seeing as there is now a 2nd outdoor college game it could be a good time to mention there is another big outdoor game being played this year with two pretty decent programs as well, at the oldest college football stadium in the country.
        Camp Randall isn't even close to being the oldest college football stadium. It opened in 1917:

http://www.uwbadgers.com/facilities/.../index_38.html

That's 22 years after Penn's Franklin Field opened:

http://www.pennathletics.net/ViewArt...0&ATCLID=66184

There are at least three more stadiums in the Ivy League alone that are older than Camp Randall:

Harvard Stadium (1903): http://www.gocrimson.com/information...harvardstadium

Schoellkopf Field (1915): http://cornellbigred.com/sports/2007...kopfField.aspx

Yale Bowl (1914): http://www.yalebulldogs.com/informat...ale_bowl/index

Claims that Camp Randall is the oldest college football stadium are proof of the rampant midwest bias in college sports coverage.
        "The Game 1 crowd of 2,000 sounded like 5,000. The Game 2 crowd of 4,000 sounded like 10,000." - Bill Ballou, Worcester Telegram & Gazette, on the noise generated by Binghamton Senators fans during the 2003 AHL quarterfinals

"You know one thing about this town: This is a great place to play hockey. This is a great hockey town and the people who come to these games really support us." - Jason Spezza, on Binghamton, NY, in the Ottawa Sun, 09/28/04

Comment

OUTDOOR HOCKEY IS BIG NEWS!!!
          No it's not... people have played outdoor hockey for more than a century.
          Last edited by The Freds; 08-23-2009, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBruno View Post
            Camp Randall isn't even close to being the oldest college football stadium. It opened in 1917:

http://www.uwbadgers.com/facilities/.../index_38.html

That's 22 years after Penn's Franklin Field opened:

http://www.pennathletics.net/ViewArt...0&ATCLID=66184

There are at least three more stadiums in the Ivy League alone that are older than Camp Randall:

Harvard Stadium (1903): http://www.gocrimson.com/information...harvardstadium

Schoellkopf Field (1915): http://cornellbigred.com/sports/2007...kopfField.aspx

Yale Bowl (1914): http://www.yalebulldogs.com/informat...ale_bowl/index

Claims that Camp Randall is the oldest college football stadium are proof of the rampant midwest bias in college sports coverage.
            I knew someone would catch that, Its the oldest college football stadium of the teams that matter!!!
            The Quest For 7

Comment

I knew someone would catch that, Its the oldest college football stadium of the teams that matter!!!
              Yeah who the hell are the Quakers? I've never heard of this Heisman character.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBruno View Post
                Hey now, I follow midwest college sports and have never heard the claim that Camp Randall is the oldest.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                  Hey now, I follow midwest college sports and have never heard the claim that Camp Randall is the oldest.
                  Yeah, not sure who ever claimed that until uw14 did just now...

I know that games were played at the Camp Randall site before the current stadium was built, and that there were wooden bleachers there before, but I doubt that that takes us any further back than 1910 or so.

The CCRHC (extra "C" is for Culver's- it has a corporate sponsor) got coverage here when it was announced, but not really anywhere else, aside from Madison and Michigan papers.

The Fenway stuff, meanwhile, had some "front page" stories on TSN's web page, and I think had something on ESPN.com when the press conference happened.

If we want to talk about anything regarding the lack of press for the Camp Randall game, we should consider that the national media has a hard on for (among other things) the Red Sox, and anything involving Fenway will trump a lot of things.

If (big if) the CCRHC breaks the Cold War attendence record (or at least once 75,000 or so tickets are sold), we'll see a lot more press. But considering when it was announced, I'm not shocked at the lack of attention its getting.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

hahahaha nice, welcome to my liberal hell that is Madison, wisconsin, im not suprised...
                    Funny... No liberals here in Boston at all. Grow up. How insecure can you get.
                    sigpicHalf of what he says goes way over my head. The other half goes way, way over my head."

Comment

Originally posted by jdevoejr View Post
                      Funny... No liberals here in Boston at all. Grow up. How insecure can you get.
                      Yeah, the only thing worse than the liberals in Wisconsin are the conservatives in Wisconsin who seem to do nothing else besides whine about the liberals.

It's much less tiresome to stop choosing sides politically and just worry about the Packers.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Well...I can't wait to go to the games at Camp Randall. I hope it's as loud there as it is during football.

WI is just like any other MW state...liberal in the population core but conservative elsewhere...some have more/less each direction than others. Same can probably be said for most states. Both should quit complaining about each other and work together...though that's only a fantasy world.
                        THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

National Championships:
                        1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

WCHA Regular Season Championships:
                        1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
                        University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
                        University of Oregon Ducks Football
                        San Francisco Giants
                        Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by Roben View Post
                          I hope it's as loud there as it is during football.
                          Why? Do you like napping, or are you just a big fan of Jock Jams?

(Edit: OK, the canned music at Camp Randall is better than Jock Jams. But the principle is still the same: play music because you have no faith in the fans actually cheering for anything besides big plays. Or because you have TV timeouts, and somehow you keep forgetting that you have a marching band in the stadium.)

I hope that its nothing like the usual Camp Randall experience.
                          Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 08-25-2009, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            Why? Do you like napping, or are you just a big fan of Jock Jams?

(Edit: OK, the canned music at Camp Randall is better than Jock Jams. But the principle is still the same: play music because you have no faith in the fans actually cheering for anything besides big plays. Or because you have TV timeouts, and somehow you keep forgetting that you have a marching band in the stadium.)

I hope that its nothing like the usual Camp Randall experience.
                            Better then the ACC, they play jock jams at every ACC stadium, Terrible, at least all the ones i have been to, the only one that doesn't is Va Tech because there fans are nuts. NC State, Maryland, Clemson, north Carolina, they love the jock jams, hahaha
                            The Quest For 7

Comment

Go Huskies!

Comment

OUTDOOR HOCKEY IS BIG NEWS!!!
                                Yawn.

Comment

Working...
                                X