Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Originally posted by Almington View Post
    It's not as if UW is hurting for recruits.
    Ain't that the truth. Some might even say you have too many recruits.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Shameless plug for the 60 minutes blog. Updated the statistics for committed and uncommitted prospects for the Badger hockey program. You can check it out here.

In addition, Wisconsin has been linked to Benilde-St. Margaret's (Minnesota) Forward Christian Horn and St. Thomas Academy (Minnesota) Defenseman Taylor Fleming.

Heres a write up I did tonight on some prospects who are playing well.

Committed Players:

Tyler Lapic (Pictured)-After going scoreless in his first 5 games in the USHL, the New Prague product has recorded 7 points in his past 9 games, with 4 points in his past 4 times on the ice. Saturday night against Sioux Falls, Lapic had two assists and was a plus 4. Lapic most likely will join the Badger program next fall.

Jake McCabe-The most recent recruit to commit to the Badger program, McCabe had a productive weekend with two assists for the NTDP. The Eau Claire native doubled his point total for the season in a win and an overtime loss against Youngstown. McCabe will accelerate his studies to step onto the Wisconsin campus in 2011.

Jordan Schmaltz-The other committed 1993 born defenseman (McCabe being the other) had a nice weekend for the Chicago Mission. Schmaltz had a goal in all three games for the Mission. Schmaltz who will play for the Badgers in the fall of 2012 now has 23 points in 28 games this season for the Mission after a brief stint in the USHL with Sioux City.

Cody Strang-Last years Wisconsin Mr. Hockey award winner had a very productive weekend for Youngstown. After sitting out an entire month, Strang recorded his first three points of the season. His assist Friday night was on the game winner in overtime. Strang will come to Madison in either 2010 or 2011 depending on early departures.

Mark Zengerle-I don't think it even needs to be mentioned but I knew someone would bring him up if I didn't. Zengerle continues to absolutely dominate the BCHL. He's kept his 2.2 point per game average up so far over pretty much the whole season. The New York native now has 77 points in 35 games. He will be a welcomed addition to the Badgers lineup next fall.

Uncommitted Players:

Garrett Allen-The un-committed 1992 born forward from southern Wisconsin is having a very nice rookie season in the USHL. A surprise pick to make the Fargo roster, he has not disappointed. He chipped in another two points over the weekend to run his season line to 9-7-16 in 23 games for the Force. Allen has been linked to having strong interest in both Colorado College and Denver. Expect Wisconsin to make a push for his duties as they could use a few forwards from the 1992 born class.

Tim Davison-Davison is a very raw, young defenseman from Green Bay. He's a 94 born sophomore defenseman for Notre Dame Academy and definitely has D-1 potential. He had 6 points this weekend in two wins over teams ranked in the Wisconsin Prep Hockey Top 10. At 5 foot 11, and 160 pounds, he has time to grow into his frame and develop his game. Keep an eye out for him.

Matthew Fosdick-I've been wanting to bring this kid up for a while now. I saw him play for Team Wisconsin minor this fall and absolutely fell in love with him. Like Davison, Fosdick is a 1994 born sophomore defenseman. The major advantage he has over Davison is that as a sophomore he is already 6'1, 190 pounds, and has some very good skill. Through 5 games this winter, Fosdick leads his Brookfield team in points.

Tyler Lundey-The forward from Middleton had a slow start to the season but has come on strong. He's recorded 4 points in his past 3 games for Wichita Falls in the NAHL. Wisconsin doesn't usually dip into the NAHL for recruits but Lundey could be the exception. I expect him to move to the USHL next season and could be a target for the Badgers for 2011 where they could use a few forward recruits. Lundey, who will have been out of high school two years at that point could be a nice in-state recruit.

Max McCormick-McCormick, a senior and the second player from Green Bay Notre Dame to be featured in this post is having a break out season. It started in the fall when he led Team Wisconsin Majors in scoring in the Elite League and finished 10 overall in the league in scoring. He has continued his scoring into the winter with 19 points in his first 6 games.

chuckschwartz@live.com

Comment

Recruit Corbin McGuire had a hat trick for Taft Prep at Fenway this week. Love this kid.

Comment

Posted by DPlaya in Wisports:

Hockey in Wisconsin has learned that Freshman forward Andrew McCabe from Eau Claire Memorial has been released from his scholarship at the University of Nebraska-Omaha. McCabe was recruited by UNO's former Coach, but has played this season for their new coach, Dean Blais.

The move comes just weeks after Andrew's brother Jake committed to the University of Wisconsin over several other programs, including the University of Nebraska-Omaha. The question at hand is whether Blais made Andrew McCabe pay the price for his brother not committing to UNO. Blais will likely have plenty of cover for the move even if it was due to Jake's decision since Andrew has only played in five games this season, and was not recruited by Blais.

I believe Andrew has already left UNO after completing his first semester exams and will not return, even though he could have finished out the academic year on scholarship. I've got a message in to his family to confirm that information and to find out what Andrew's future plans may be, if he's even had time to consider them.

Got anything more on this DP? Smells fishy.
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
            Posted by DPlaya in Wisports:

Hockey in Wisconsin has learned that Freshman forward Andrew McCabe from Eau Claire Memorial has been released from his scholarship at the University of Nebraska-Omaha. McCabe was recruited by UNO's former Coach, but has played this season for their new coach, Dean Blais.

The move comes just weeks after Andrew's brother Jake committed to the University of Wisconsin over several other programs, including the University of Nebraska-Omaha. The question at hand is whether Blais made Andrew McCabe pay the price for his brother not committing to UNO. Blais will likely have plenty of cover for the move even if it was due to Jake's decision since Andrew has only played in five games this season, and was not recruited by Blais.

I believe Andrew has already left UNO after completing his first semester exams and will not return, even though he could have finished out the academic year on scholarship. I've got a message in to his family to confirm that information and to find out what Andrew's future plans may be, if he's even had time to consider them.

Got anything more on this DP? Smells fishy.

I don't see this as fishy, just a case of an existing recruit/player not meshing with a new head coach. I suspect that leaving at the mid-point of the season means that he has some other hockey option already lined up for the rest of this season and a plan going forward or he just really hated being at UNO with Blais and not playing (and maybe feeling that he wasn't being given a fair chance to show what he could do to contribute).

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
              I don't see this as fishy, just a case of an existing recruit/player not meshing with a new head coach. I suspect that leaving at the mid-point of the season means that he has some other hockey option already lined up for the rest of this season and a plan going forward or he just really hated being at UNO with Blais and not playing (and maybe feeling that he wasn't being given a fair chance to show what he could do to contribute).
              You make it sound like it was Andrew's choice to leave the team. The story being told is that he was bounced by Blais, which is a rather crappy thing to do mid-season.

Comment

Originally posted by jwilli View Post
                You make it sound like it was Andrew's choice to leave the team. The story being told is that he was bounced by Blais, which is a rather crappy thing to do mid-season.
                Provided that he signed a LOI, that would assure him of having a scholarship for the rest of the year, so it would have been Blais removing him from the team. My point was that it was Andrew's choice to leave school and not finish up the academic year; this makes me assume that he hopes (or has plans to) to join up with another program and be able to play at the semester break for this new team.

Comment

Does any here know much about Jose Delgadillo? Style of play, etc?

He apparently has offers from Maine, Mankato, and 1 other school that I'm forgetting at the moment.
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                    Does any here know much about Jose Delgadillo? Style of play, etc?

He apparently has offers from Maine, Mankato, and 1 other school that I'm forgetting at the moment.
                    I don't know a ton about him but he's really exploded over the past year. At one point listed Wisconsin as his number one school. Interesting tidbit, he made the Mexican World Junior Team (which obviously didn't qualify for the real tournament).

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                      I don't know a ton about him but he's really exploded over the past year. At one point listed Wisconsin as his number one school. Interesting tidbit, he made the Mexican World Junior Team (which obviously didn't qualify for the real tournament).
                      caveat. he's a cousin of a friend of mine but we've never seen him play. from what I've heard his #1 preference is the UW, but he's getting a heavy push from the black bears fwiw.
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

caveat. he's a cousin of a friend of mine but we've never seen him play. from what I've heard his #1 preference is the UW, but he's getting a heavy push from the black bears fwiw.
                        He's got the tools from what I hear. Good size as well. I think if Wisconsin pursues him it will come down to how long he's willing to wait to come and play for us.

On a side note, Tyler Lapic was traded from Omaha (USHL) to Des Moines (USHL) for former Northern Michigan defenseman Austin Handley.

Comment

Updated the Recruiting Stats.

Michael Mersch and Frankie Simonelli are in town Saturday.

I've heard the interest from Maine, Wisconsin, and Mankato is all about the same at this point. All keeping him in mind, but no offers. But you may have better connections with the cousin, I don't know.
                          Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 01-07-2010, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Late to the fun, but does anyone have any information on any G recruits in for the next few years?

Comment

Originally posted by Crainer View Post
                              Late to the fun, but does anyone have any information on any G recruits in for the next few years?
                              The only high end kid we've been linked to publicly, Sam Brittain, recently committed to Denver. I'm not aware of any other goalies at this time.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                                The only high end kid we've been linked to publicly, Sam Brittain, recently committed to Denver. I'm not aware of any other goalies at this time.

Well I hope they start going after another goalie because it could get ugly in a couple years

Comment

Working...
                                X