Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you

I never said it was a bad school but there hockey program has shown nothing to be proud of.
    WISCONSIN BADGERS
    NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
    WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
    WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
    B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
    Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
      I never said it was a bad school but there hockey program has shown nothing to be proud of.
      Ohio State is a sleeping giant. They will be a perennial contender. I will guarantee it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
        I'll reiterate what I said on twitter this afternoon. Would have loved to had Zach Stepan. Would have LOVED to have him. But we have no rooom in the 2012 class for another forward at this point. We've already got Zulinick, Kerdiles, and McGuire locked up for 2012 and Navin locked for 2012 or 2013.

I'll take Kerdiles and Zulinick over Stepan any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I love McGuire and have for years as well. It's a toss up between him and Stepan as to who will produce more at the college level. Navin also provides a lot more flexability than Stepan as he's willing to be a 2012 or 2013 where as I don't think we'd have that opportunity with Stepan.

Potential 2012 fowards:

Seniors
        Derek Lee
        Keegan Meuer
        Ryan Little

Juniors
        Mark Zengerle
        Tyler Barnes
        Michael Mersch
        Jason Clark
        Jefferson Dahl
        Gavin Hartzog
        Sean Little

Sophomores
        Brendan Woods
        Cody Strang
        Matt Pappe
        Tyler Lapic

Freshmen
        Morgan Zulinick
        Nic Kerdiles
        Corbin McGuire
        Brad Navin

This is assuming that Craig Smith signs early. That has us at 18 forwards for 2012. Obviously we would hold Navin back so that would put us at 17. Most likely we'll lose one or two of Barnes, Mersch, Zengerle etc. to a contract or someone else to natural attrition and Little can always be moved back to defense.

Moral of the story was we just ran out of spots for Stepan. It's a good problem to have. Would have loved him, but we'll be more than fine.
        I'd be sooooooooo happy if Barnes and Zengerle stay for 3 years. that's a line-up that could make championship run on paper.
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          I'd be sooooooooo happy if Barnes and Zengerle stay for 3 years. that's a line-up that could make championship run on paper.
          I think it's a pretty good chance they will be here. Although they are older players, I don't see too many NHL teams making a push before thier senior years.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            I could see 1st Star gone after next season, but Barnes will still be around unless he makes a gigantic leap in the next 18 months. I like what Barnes is bringing to Badger hockey (I like it A LOT) but compared to other forwards signing pro contracts I just don't see it happening so quick. Easily a 3 or 4 year guy.

As for Ohio State, they have the "potential" to be a good, even great, program, but its just that, potential. I think your guarnatee is a tad early Chuck, Oz might be a good coach, but they have a long way to go. Miami (OH) didn't become a contender in a handful of years, and I'm not convinced that Ohio State ever will.
            Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
            Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
            Originally posted by UWisco
            It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
              I could see 1st Star gone after next season, but Barnes will still be around unless he makes a gigantic leap in the next 18 months. I like what Barnes is bringing to Badger hockey (I like it A LOT) but compared to other forwards signing pro contracts I just don't see it happening so quick. Easily a 3 or 4 year guy.

As for Ohio State, they have the "potential" to be a good, even great, program, but its just that, potential. I think your guarnatee is a tad early Chuck, Oz might be a good coach, but they have a long way to go. Miami (OH) didn't become a contender in a handful of years, and I'm not convinced that Ohio State ever will.
              Comparing a MAC school or whatever they are to a Big 10 school is like apples to elephants. The turnaround time at Ohio State can, and will be very short.

They are already consistently landing a much higher level of recruit and that's only going to increase with the advent of the Bi6 10 hockey conference. It's the same reason I feel Penn State will be a year in year out competitor within 10 years. These schools already have tremendous drawing power and now they are going to be playing in the best conference in the country? They are going to be picking up a lot of recruits that normally would have been a Denver, or CC, or North Dakota.

Comment

Comparing a MAC school or whatever they are to a Big 10 school is like apples to elephants. The turnaround time at Ohio State can, and will be very short.

They are already consistently landing a much higher level of recruit and that's only going to increase with the advent of the Bi6 10 hockey conference. It's the same reason I feel Penn State will be a year in year out competitor within 10 years. These schools already have tremendous drawing power and now they are going to be playing in the best conference in the country? They are going to be picking up a lot of recruits that normally would have been a Denver, or CC, or North Dakota.
                What do you consider very short? When they don't make the Frozen Four in 4 or 5 years (which I consider very short) I want to save this post and make sure I come back and tell you, you were wrong. And I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.

Because really what else is there at a level of success? Consistently winning? Big deal, if they aren't competing for NC's.

This isn't football Chuck, Miami isn't a MAC school in hockey, they are a young powerhouse, and turning into that in pretty short order. I'm not as convinced as you about the BTHC being a magnet for the best recruits. Why would any kid want to go to North Dakota right now? The women? The beautiful winter weather? Drunk driving being legal? The annual drunken lawn mower toss? Well maybe the last two, no they go to play hockey for a storied program who wins every year. I have a hard time believing a top flight recruit is going to choose Penn State over NoDak 5 or 10 years from now because PSU is in the BTHC. Same w/ Denver unless Gwoz leaves for different job.

I could be wrong, but in my eyes minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan have more to offer ANY recruit right now, and they still lose top players to North Dakota and Denver, why would that change? The "national television" of the BTHC, I could watch the gophers every weekend right now if I had fox college sports channels in Utah or South Carolina.

It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

I'll reiterate what I said on twitter this afternoon. Would have loved to had Zach Stepan. Would have LOVED to have him. But we have no rooom in the 2012 class for another forward at this point. We've already got Zulinick, Kerdiles, and McGuire locked up for 2012 and Navin locked for 2012 or 2013.

I'll take Kerdiles and Zulinick over Stepan any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I love McGuire and have for years as well. It's a toss up between him and Stepan as to who will produce more at the college level. Navin also provides a lot more flexability than Stepan as he's willing to be a 2012 or 2013 where as I don't think we'd have that opportunity with Stepan.

Potential 2012 fowards:

Seniors
                  Derek Lee
                  Keegan Meuer
                  Ryan Little

Juniors
                  Mark Zengerle
                  Tyler Barnes
                  Michael Mersch
                  Jason Clark
                  Jefferson Dahl
                  Gavin Hartzog
                  Sean Little

Sophomores
                  Brendan Woods
                  Cody Strang
                  Matt Pappe
                  Tyler Lapic

Freshmen
                  Morgan Zulinick
                  Nic Kerdiles
                  Corbin McGuire
                  Brad Navin

This is assuming that Craig Smith signs early. That has us at 18 forwards for 2012. Obviously we would hold Navin back so that would put us at 17. Most likely we'll lose one or two of Barnes, Mersch, Zengerle etc. to a contract or someone else to natural attrition and Little can always be moved back to defense.

Moral of the story was we just ran out of spots for Stepan. It's a good problem to have. Would have loved him, but we'll be more than fine.
                  Chuck you certainly make a good point here, though if Stepan is a 2013 recruit for OSU that makes less sense, and is rather lame.

Wisconsin is pretty stacked at forward and the group of freshman this season aren't likely to have many early departures (like I said Zengerle has the best shot at a pro deal in the short term) and the next group isn't filled with any superstars either. Brendan Woods projects as a future pro, but will need a few years of fine tuning at UW before that is a possibility. As you diagramed, the cupboard is full in 2012 and 2013 at forward.

I hope Eaves and Co are concentrating on another goalie recruit in the next few seasons to compliment Rumpel and some 2012 and 2013 defensemen. Tim Davison is a good start, and Hesketh and McCabe will be great next season, but an early departure or two, along a few graduations will mean some future NHL blue liners are needed in the queue.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                    I could be wrong, but in my eyes minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan have more to offer ANY recruit right now, and they still lose top players to North Dakota and Denver, why would that change? The "national television" of the BTHC, I could watch the gophers every weekend right now if I had fox college sports channels in Utah or South Carolina.
                    If we're just talking television, UND has the best deal in college hockey right now. Every single home UND game is nationally televised live on FSC, including a weekly Sioux Recap/Preview show as well. Not even the Gophers have that good of a deal.
                    I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                      If we're just talking television, UND has the best deal in college hockey right now. Every single home UND game is nationally televised live on FSC, including a weekly Sioux Recap/Preview show as well. Not even the Gophers have that good of a deal.
                      Yea, maybe if you have the $30 sport package you can watch every Sue game....Gophs every game can be seen in all of MN, SD, and ND on FSN is HD....How many Susie games are in HD? Can you even get HD in North Dakota yet....you just got indoor plumbing last year!

Comment

Edit: Heisenburg lists him as a 2013. If that is the case...then I just got a bit more upset.
                        I'm miffed. And Oz has been in McCoushen's ear too. There's no other reason a guy from WI would be considering OSU. Didn't UW lose a decommited D to OSU as well?

I'm sure it's just me ultra-loyal to UW and being black and white in a grey world, but I think it's wrong for a coach to go after guys he recruited on behalf of one school to go to another school where he is now employed.

And on top of that, UW has a newbie recruiting coordinator going against the Oz/Rolhik duo. Rohlik did some great recuiting for UMD. I wonder if any players UMD was interested in have signed with OSU.

Wisconsin Hockey: F#&K OSU
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by RinkPig View Post
                          Yea, maybe if you have the $30 sport package you can watch every Sue game....Gophs every game can be seen in all of MN, SD, and ND on FSN is HD....How many Susie games are in HD? Can you even get HD in North Dakota yet....you just got indoor plumbing last year!
                          The sports package is $4 a month. Pretty cheap, and you get a bunch of other college hockey games as well.
                          Speaking of Gopher hockey broadcasts, how many of them get tape-delayed due to Timberwolves basketball or HS football?

Plus, the only thing you see during a Gopher broadcast (aside from the Gophers losing) is how empty Mariucci is.
                          Last edited by brianvf; 12-09-2010, 12:51 PM.
                          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            I'm miffed. And Oz has been in McCoushen's ear too. There's no other reason a guy from WI would be considering OSU. Didn't UW lose a decommited D to OSU as well?

I'm sure it's just me ultra-loyal to UW and being black and white in a grey world, but I think it's wrong for a coach to go after guys he recruited on behalf of one school to go to another school where he is now employed.

And on top of that, UW has a newbie recruiting coordinator going against the Oz/Rolhik duo. Rohlik did some great recuiting for UMD. I wonder if any players UMD was interested in have signed with OSU.

Wisconsin Hockey: F#&K OSU

All is fair in college recruiting. Be better than Oz/OSU or go home.

If a kid and his family got comfortable with Oz and wants to follow him, I say go for it.

I was talking to the father of a high profile UW senior who finished up last season and he mentioned in passing that he had talked to Eaves a grand total of 1 time in the 5 years that his son was at UW. It wouldn't surprise me if these kids and their families put a lot of weight in the relationship with the recruiting coach.

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post

Plus, the only thing you see during a Gopher broadcast (aside from the Gophers losing) is how empty Mariucci is.
                              So true. But they're all at high school games instead.

How's Arizona, you *****?

Here's what you're missing right nowish.

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/USCHO/snow.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                How's Arizona, you *****?

Here's what you're missing right nowish.

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/USCHO/snow.jpg******
                                AZ is great so far. I haven't experienced the heat of summer yet though, so we'll see how that goes.
                                I'm actually back in WI this week for my daughter's bday, so know all about the current snow.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X