Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Green Bay Notre Dame defenseman Tim Davison has committed to UW. I would guess the commitment will be for 2012 in the spot vacated by Jordan Schmaltz. He had visited Coach Osiecki at Ohio State and they had also offered him a scholarship. Other schools that were interested included Michigan Tech, Colorado College, Maine, St. Cloud State, Bemidji State and Miami of Ohio. It must have been an interesting choice for him...join his former Team Wisconsin Minor Coach (Schuchuk) at Madison and be near home or join Coach Osiecki and Tim's former Notre Dame teammate Max McCormick at Ohio State.

Davison was offered a spot on the Youngstown (USHL) roster this season but decided to play for Notre Dame and Team Wisconsin Major. He recently played for the U.S. U-17 Select Team that won gold at the Five Nations Tournament. Last season he put up 11 goals and 46 assists for 57 points for Notre Dame (I think that was in 28 games). In addition he played for Team Wisconsin Minor last season, which advanced all the way to the National Tournament. Prior to the Central District Playoffs for Team Wisconsin Minor last season Davison had 3 goals and 10 assists for 13 points in 36 games. He's a relatively small player...he was listed as 5'9" and 160 pounds last year. He shoots left.

Davison is going to be a part of my Offseason Interview Series and I'll try to remember to link the interview here when I get it back and have it posted.
    Last edited by DPlaya; 09-05-2010, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Originally posted by D-man18 View Post
      Sorry for the late response, but the stats quoted for Soukup are pretty incomplete. As a 16 yr old last year, he had 12 points in 42 games (includes showcase tournaments - not just regular season stats) and tied for the team lead for scoring for defenders. He was the only 16 yr old defenseman selected all league (only a couple 93 birthyear defensemen nationwide were selected for the Best of the Rest Tournament at Nationals).

In high school varsity last year, he led the league in defense scoring by a large margin - 6 goals, 23 assists in 9 games.

As a 93, he has four more years of junior eligibility - plenty of time for development.

There is a nice article on Soukup by his former junior team in Virginia (http://potomacpatriots.net/news2.php?news_id=286494)
      Hey Dad! Is his number also #18...hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
        Green Bay Notre Dame defenseman Tim Davison has committed to UW. I would guess the commitment will be for 2012 in the spot vacated by Jordan Schmaltz. He had visited Coach Osiecki at Ohio State and they had also offered him a scholarship. Other schools that were interested included Michigan Tech, Colorado College, Maine, St. Cloud State, Bemidji State and Miami of Ohio. It must have been an interesting choice for him...join his former Team Wisconsin Minor Coach (Schuchuk) at Madison and be near home or join Coach Osiecki and Tim's former Notre Dame teammate Max McCormick at Ohio State.

Davison was offered a spot on the Youngstown (USHL) roster this season but decided to play for Notre Dame and Team Wisconsin Major. He recently played for the U.S. U-17 Select Team that won gold at the Five Nations Tournament. Last season he put up 11 goals and 46 assists for 57 points for Notre Dame (I think that was in 28 games). In addition he played for Team Wisconsin Minor last season, which advanced all the way to the National Tournament. Prior to the Central District Playoffs for Team Wisconsin Minor last season Davison had 3 goals and 10 assists for 13 points in 36 games. He's a relatively small player...he was listed as 5'9" and 160 pounds last year. He shoots left.

Davison is going to be a part of my Offseason Interview Series and I'll try to remember to link the interview here when I get it back and have it posted.
        nice! and it's good to see Eaves can go head to head against Coach O and win on a d-man. other factors were involved I'm sure (Shuchuk, etc) but I think in the long run UW is going to be just fine through all these changes. They had em before w/Hynes, etc
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I read several articles on UW forward commit Morgan Zulinick last night. He just finished up the exhibition season with the Salmon Arm Silverbacks, and they start the regular season Friday night (9/10). I read game recaps for three games and he scored 3 goals and had 2 assists in those games. One of the articles also indicated he was running Salmon Arm's power play from the point. Oh yeah, and he's a 1994 birthdate!

I'm hoping he has a good season but not a great season so he's not tempted to play in the WHL next season rather than wait until 2012 to enter UW (he will not have graduated from high school until then).

Comment

Can anyone shed any info on the role Mark Zengerle will play? He looks to be quite the offensive talent.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachK View Post
              Can anyone shed any info on the role Mark Zengerle will play? He looks to be quite the offensive talent.
              At this point w/o any practices going on, one would assume he'll play on the top 2 lines and be on the pp. I expect at least 35 pts out of him. Smith had 33 has an older freshman last year and on paper he doesn't have as much talent as 1st Star.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

It's sounding like Zengerle is going to be getting alot of attention from NHL teams as a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachK View Post
                  It's sounding like Zengerle is going to be getting alot of attention from NHL teams as a free agent.
                  I'm hoping he has a Tyler Bozak type impact on the team. That might mean he only plays two seasons in Madison (since he "should" turn into a top NHL free agent type), but the team needs offense. Being a 21 year old freshman, I expect nice things out of him, but I'm not going to go over the top. The BCHL is nothing like the WCHA.

Plus he played on the PK in the BCHL, so sounds like a two way guy (though would Eaves really sign a guy who can't play D other than the occasional Michael Davies?).
                  Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                  Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                  Originally posted by UWisco
                  It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                    Plus he played on the PK in the BCHL, so sounds like a two way guy (though would Eaves really sign a guy who can't play D other than the occasional Michael Davies?).
                    I was wondering about that. He could be the next Stephan on the pk and rack up some shg's.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Just some notes on Badger recruits...

I noticed forward Corbin McGuire, who had played the last few seasons at Taft Prep on the East Coast, is now playing for the Fargo Force in the USHL.

It appears forward Tyler Lapic has been traded from Omaha to Chicago in the USHL.

Goaltending recruit Joel Rumpel (Pentiction, BCHL) is rumored to be in the running for Team Canada for the World Jr. A Challenge-which happens to be held in Penticton this year.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post

Goaltending recruit Joel Rumpel (Pentiction, BCHL) is rumored to be in the running for Team Canada for the World Jr. A Challenge-which happens to be held in Penticton this year.
                        That's correct. Canada splits themselves into an East and West team and he was named to the West's tryout camp: http://www.bchl.ca/leagues/newslette...393&page=46889
                        Originally posted by dicaslover
                        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Jake McCabe has a stress fracture in his L-5 vertebra which is in the lower back. They suspect he injured it lifting weights over the summer. He will be out 8-12 weeks.

Comment

Mike Eaves was at the Elite League games in Stevens Point today. He watched Team Northwest vs. Shattuck St. Mary's and two periods of the Team Wisconsin-Team Southwest game.

Team Wisconsin Major defenseman Cliff Watson committed to Ohio State. UW had an interest but was going to watch him further and he decided to make his commitment rather than wait. He told me the main reason for choosing Ohio State was Coach Osiecki.

I'll be updating my post with some further information, hopefully later tonight.

Comment

I hear Stepan made the big club and Mcdonaugh was sent to the AHL, any truth?

Comment

Originally posted by Beard View Post
                                I hear Stepan made the big club and Mcdonaugh was sent to the AHL, any truth?
                                http://rangers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=64354&navid=DL|NYR|home

They are down to 25 and Stepan is one of those 25 and McDonaugh is not.

Comment

Working...
                                X