Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

"as big of a recruiting coup as you will ever see. "

An NHL draft pick would fall into that catagory, not a 20 year old playing in a league with a lot of 17-19 year olds. If it was a Schwartz, Brickley etc, maybe. Good luck to him, from all accountsa great kid.

USHL has many kids who stay until 19/20 and load up on points. That does not translate to similar results in D 1.

Just look at Andrew Miller, 5 goals at Yale, Mike Cichy, 2 goals at North Dakota, Mike Seidel from UMD, 5 goals, Kirt Hill, Brandon Richardson etc

All solid players but by no means difference makers at D 1 level, outside maybe Miller.

He is a nice solid pickup but not going to replace Stepan by any means, nor would he replace Murray, Gardiner or Lee. All who have played 2 years at Wisc while the new player was in juniors, the exact same age playing against 16 or 17 year olds.

This is not an apples to apples comparison.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

The name of Steven Beyers doesn't seem to have been mentioned in this thread. According to this interview (at about 1:50) http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...16_113236_4632, Wisconsin and RPI are currently on top of his list. Since the interview, he was drafted by Fargo in the USHL. Did I miss something here?
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
        "as big of a recruiting coup as you will ever see. "

An NHL draft pick would fall into that catagory, not a 20 year old playing in a league with a lot of 17-19 year olds. If it was a Schwartz, Brickley etc, maybe. Good luck to him, from all accountsa great kid.

USHL has many kids who stay until 19/20 and load up on points. That does not translate to similar results in D 1.

Just look at Andrew Miller, 5 goals at Yale, Mike Cichy, 2 goals at North Dakota, Mike Seidel from UMD, 5 goals, Kirt Hill, Brandon Richardson etc

All solid players but by no means difference makers at D 1 level, outside maybe Miller.

He is a nice solid pickup but not going to replace Stepan by any means, nor would he replace Murray, Gardiner or Lee. All who have played 2 years at Wisc while the new player was in juniors, the exact same age playing against 16 or 17 year olds.

This is not an apples to apples comparison.
        Read my entire quote dood. I said AT THIS STAGE IN THE GAME. Stepan unexpectedly bolting leaves us with 13 forwards and in dire straights. In the situation we were in, AT THIS STAGE IN THE GAME, it doesn't get any better than this.

No one is confusing the kid with Gretzky. Jeeeez.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
          Read my entire quote dood. I said AT THIS STAGE IN THE GAME. Stepan unexpectedly bolting leaves us with 13 forwards and in dire straights. In the situation we were in, AT THIS STAGE IN THE GAME, it doesn't get any better than this.

No one is confusing the kid with Gretzky. Jeeeez.
          Fair enough dude....

Comment

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how many coaches would pull something like this. I get that the Ivies don't use a letter of intent, so there's nothing illegal about what's going on here. That said, it's hard for me to imagine a Red Berenson or Jerry York doing the same sort of thing.

Of course, a lot of this is me putting the Dartmouth alum hat on and feeling burned, and I suppose the same part of me would be laughing its *** off had this happened with a Harvard recruit instead, but school allegiances aside, I have a feeling that this is opening up a pretty good-sized can of worms, and is not a good development overall.

Comment

Originally posted by RinkRatEO View Post
              Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how many coaches would pull something like this. I get that the Ivies don't use a letter of intent, so there's nothing illegal about what's going on here. That said, it's hard for me to imagine a Red Berenson or Jerry York doing the same sort of thing.

Of course, a lot of this is me putting the Dartmouth alum hat on and feeling burned, and I suppose the same part of me would be laughing its *** off had this happened with a Harvard recruit instead, but school allegiances aside, I have a feeling that this is opening up a pretty good-sized can of worms, and is not a good development overall.
              It's happened to us twice recently. Denver stole Patrick Wiercoich and Minnesota stole Nate Hagemo.When coaches jobs and livelihoods are on the line, do what you can within the rules. Recruit until they are on campus or signed a LOI.

The school they are committed to needs to keep recruiting the player even after they have verballed. Many schools ignore kids once they verbal.

This happens in football and basketball all the time. Hockey should be no different.

Comment

Can't fault Wisconsin or Eaves on this one, but you have to feel for the Ivy crowd at the same time.

The player is going to play in front of his family at the Kohl Center, so likely a dream come true. Giving up the Ivy experience shouldn't be dismissed quickly. The kid has made a life changing decision. Could go either way.

Comment

It's happened to us twice recently. Denver stole Patrick Wiercoich and Minnesota stole Nate Hagemo.When coaches jobs and livelihoods are on the line, do what you can within the rules. Recruit until they are on campus or signed a LOI.

The school they are committed to needs to keep recruiting the player even after they have verballed. Many schools ignore kids once they verbal.

This happens in football and basketball all the time. Hockey should be no different.
                  Chuck - I bet this is what you said when Hagemo choose Minny too... it should be no different than basketball and football. My guess is you were doing your usual crying though. Let's make one thing clear though, Hagemo was an Edina kid, so Lucia hardly "stole" him...he wasn't born in that hickville you call Wisconsin.

Everyone knows Eaves is as dirty as they come when it comes to these sorts of things...just like when he pulls scholarships from kids who don't produce to his liking! Have fun finishing in the bottom of the league this year! You guys won't win 12 games with your current roster.

Comment

Minnesota stole Nate Hagemo.
                    This is not really true if you are comparing it to this latest UW situation. Hagemo was not being contacted when he decommitted. He called Lucia and said he was thinking of opening up his recruitment again. Lucia told Hagemo he had to call Eaves (and I believe Lucia did as well) to tell him all of this before Lucia would do anything.
                    University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by RinkRatEO View Post

The Ivy League isn't exactly a raging pack of recruiting angels, just talk to Ted Donato.
                      R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                        It's not that players are leaving, it's the timing of the pursuit.
                        Yeah, it's a total dick move to steal a player off a college roster this late in the summer.

Oh...
                        Originally posted by dicaslover
                        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                          The Ivy League isn't exactly a raging pack of recruiting angels, just talk to Ted Donato.
                          Ted is as honorable as they come. Can you provide exhibit A please...

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                            Yeah, it's a total dick move to steal a player off a college roster this late in the summer.

Oh...
                            Huh? Oh, Robbie Earl.

He backed out on a verbal, right? Not quite the same. If Earl had signed a LOI at Michigan, then you might have something.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Chris H*****y
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Chris Huxley. Committed to RPI and when coach Dan Fridgen wasn't retained he managed to find his way to Harvard somehow. Go figure.
                                R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X