Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Wisconsin Committed Recruits

*****http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JFyDDezCD5U/S6rFajNKe9I/AAAAAAAAAmg/kT7lBUom-L0/s400/committedrecruits.JPG******

Wisconsin Potential Recruits

*****http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_JFyDDezCD5U/S6qubuL4u2I/AAAAAAAAAmQ/4BJsLbsQYlE/s400/potentialrecruits.JPG******

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Chuck: Assuming we lose some guys to early departure, do you think we will take any of the 2011-2012 recruits in a year early or do you see us rolling with what we have slotted for 2010-2011?
      -If so who do you see us bringing in early?

-Also do you have any leads on the likely canidates to replace Coach Patrick?

Comment

when they call, give them jerry yorks phone number

Comment

Originally posted by Badgerpuck View Post
          Chuck: Assuming we lose some guys to early departure, do you think we will take any of the 2011-2012 recruits in a year early or do you see us rolling with what we have slotted for 2010-2011?
          -If so who do you see us bringing in early?

-Also do you have any leads on the likely canidates to replace Coach Patrick?
          I think we've built in the early departures for our incoming recruits.

Incoming defense: Simonelli and Drake
          Outgoing defense: McDonagh and Smith (likely)

That would leave us at 9 defensemen which we also had this season. If we lose another defenseman, I think we still only bring in Simonelli and Drake. If God forbid we lose 4, we would bring in Hesketh.

Outgoing forwards: Mitchell, Geoffrion, Bendickson, Davies, Grotting, Street, Bohmbach, Thurber
          Incoming forwards: Barnes, Clark, Zengerle, Dahl, Little, Mersch

That would be 6 forwards to replace 8. Have to keep in mind we need to fill Thurbers spot after he was kicked off the team. Overall that leaves us at 14 forwards. Usually we'd like to have at least 15 forwards. I don't see us picking up a late forward commitment for 2010 at this time but it wouldn't shock me. Most likely they will bring in either Matt Pappe or Gavin Hartzog. I could see them bringing in Hartzog beacause he's struggled in junior and the coaches may want to get their hands on him before it's too late.

No idea on the coaching opening yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
            That would be 6 forwards to replace 8. Have to keep in mind we need to fill Thurbers spot after he was kicked off the team. Overall that leaves us at 14 forwards. Usually we'd like to have at least 15 forwards. I don't see us picking up a late forward commitment for 2010 at this time but it wouldn't shock me. Most likely they will bring in either Matt Pappe or Gavin Hartzog. I could see them bringing in Hartzog beacause he's struggled in junior and the coaches may want to get their hands on him before it's too late.
            IIRC, Bohmbach was brought in late because of the early departure of Pavs. I'm sure that they coaches are considering their options on who to bring in for next year. The staff will also have to wait and see what may happen with Stepan.

It's unfortunate that things are such recruiting wise that UW isn't able to reload as much as having to rebuild with such high turnover at forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
              IIRC, Bohmbach was brought in late because of the early departure of Pavs. I'm sure that they coaches are considering their options on who to bring in for next year. The staff will also have to wait and see what may happen with Stepan.

It's unfortunate that things are such recruiting wise that UW isn't able to reload as much as having to rebuild with such high turnover at forward.
              That group of forwards coming in is actually pretty good. Clark, Zengerle and Barnes should all be impact players (hopefully) right out of the gate, which will be required if the team is going anywhere next season. Dahl and Mersch should see a lot of time (even though Mersch will be a senior in HS in age) and Little will be there to grind and play some 4th line minutes if he can crack the lineup. Bringing in Hartzog wouldn't be the worst, he has size, something that can't be taught and a year in WI working hard might be more to his benefit.
              Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
              Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
              Originally posted by UWisco
              It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post

Your memory is correct. He was brought in pretty late in the summer actually. Too late to even get a dorm room.

I think we're a little bit more prepared now than we were back then which is why I think we'll most likely bring in a player that's already committed like Paape or Hartzog rather than pick up another player.

There is a player out there that I think we need to consider but this is for 2011. I can't say his name right now but he will be leaving a WCHA program. I just hope his current school lets him transfer within the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                  That group of forwards coming in is actually pretty good. Clark, Zengerle and Barnes should all be impact players (hopefully) right out of the gate, which will be required if the team is going anywhere next season. Dahl and Mersch should see a lot of time (even though Mersch will be a senior in HS in age) and Little will be there to grind and play some 4th line minutes if he can crack the lineup. Bringing in Hartzog wouldn't be the worst, he has size, something that can't be taught and a year in WI working hard might be more to his benefit.
                  I learned that planning on having freshmen step in and be impact players right away is a recipe for disaster from an expectation standpoint. It's one thing to expect for freshmen to contribute, it's another thing to expect them to carry a team.

I am cautiously optimistic about next season, how optimistic will be dependent on early departures.

Comment

Zengerle should but up 30+ pts easy, I think 40+ is more realistic. To me the key is Stepan coming back. If he leaves, it's back to the future in goal scoring. If he stays, Smith, Stepan and Zengerle are an excellent scoring core of F.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      Zengerle should but up 30+ pts easy, I think 40+ is more realistic. To me the key is Stepan coming back. If he leaves, it's back to the future in goal scoring. If he stays, Smith, Stepan and Zengerle are an excellent scoring core of F.
                      I feel the same way about Stepan. Either the team has a all-american type center on the 1st line or they don't have anything close to that if he leaves early.

You can add Jordy Murray and Derek Lee to that list of scorers. Sure Lee didn't play this year, but there wasn't a spot in the lineup for him that worked IMO, and he has the talent. A year in the weight room has to have helped him a lot. I think a top line of Murray-Stepan-Lee wouldn't be too bad at all.

Move Craig Smith to center next year and have him man the 2nd line.

It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        How about?

Zengerle, Stepan, Murray
                        Lee, Smith, Turnbull

those 2 lines could produce some decent points
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                          How about?

Zengerle, Stepan, Murray
                          Lee, Smith, Turnbull

I totally forgot about Lee, my bad. He's an excellent forward as well.

I see Smith becoming the next Geoffrion and Lee the next Davies.

Murray also has all the tools to make the next step.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                            How about?

Zengerle, Stepan, Murray
                            Lee, Smith, Turnbull

As much as I've been down on Turnbull over the years, I think he should get one last chance to be a scorer for the Badgers. Otherwise put Jason Clark or Tyler Barnes on the 2nd line, since I honestly don't see much else coming back as far as offense. The team will still have a solid 3rd and 4th line w/ guys like Johnson and Dolan leading the way.

I think Jefferson Dahl sneaks in on the 3rd line, Sean Little maybe on the 4th as freshman. Dahl is kinda like Lee though, has talent, but not the size to grind and be a "checking" player.

Comment

As much as I've been down on Turnbull over the years, I think he should get one last chance to be a scorer for the Badgers. Otherwise put Jason Clark or Tyler Barnes on the 2nd line, since I honestly don't see much else coming back as far as offense. The team will still have a solid 3rd and 4th line w/ guys like Johnson and Dolan leading the way.

I think Jefferson Dahl sneaks in on the 3rd line, Sean Little maybe on the 4th as freshman. Dahl is kinda like Lee though, has talent, but not the size to grind and be a "checking" player.
                              yes, I think Podge acquitted himself quite well in his last 4 games. He deserves the shot based on his play once they replaced Johnson.

My biggest fear as a fan is losing 3 d-men, and Stepan. I just don't see UW being a top 5 WCHA team if that happens. that's way too much to replace with rookies and players who've been waiting in the wings not getting game time.

Then there's the question of Coach Oseicki taking a top spot somewhere.

this could be the worse off-season in UW history really *if* all of these hypotheticals come to fruition...

fingers crossed for stepan and one of smith, mcdonagh and goloubef to return
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Thoughts on forwards....

UW is returning only 8 forwards, with project line spot, list by class:
                                Dolan 3rd/4th line
                                Johnson 4th line
                                Turnbull 3rd/4th line
                                --
                                Murray - top 2 line
                                Stephan - top 2 line
                                --
                                Meuer 3rd/4th line
                                Smith top 2 line
                                Lee top 2 line

Freshmen forwards year born-pts last year
                                Barnes - 90 -61 (20 yrs old, could put up Smith type numbers, 2nd line guy)
                                Clark - 92 - 46 (18 yrs old, can score, 3rd line type guy)
                                Dahl - 89 - 36 (21 yrs old, 3rd line candidate)
                                Little - 91 - 11 (19 yrs old, 4th line)
                                Merch - 92 - 14 (18 yrs old, perhaps a 4th line guy)
                                1st Star - 89 - 126 (21 yrs old top 2 lines -WCHA & national rookie of the yr)

So, top 2 line candidates:
                                Murray - top 2 line
                                Stephan - top 2 line
                                Smith top 2 line
                                Lee top 2 line
                                Barnes
                                1st Star

3rd/4th line guys:
                                Dolan 3rd/4th line
                                Johnson 4th line
                                Turnbull 3rd/4th line
                                Meuer 3rd/4th line
                                Clark
                                Little
                                Dahl
                                Merch

I really like Smith a lot and Barnes could put up very similar numbers, being an older freshman, like Smith and putting up 61 pts last year, more than Smith did his last year in the USHL.

There are 14 forwards, so 2 will sit at this point. You could plug Turnbull and/or Dolan into the top 2 lines as an energy/digger type, that would infuse the 3rd line with a bit more talent. Maybe Eaves will have to spot the 4th line more than he did this year.

After doing this, I'm a bit less optimistic for next year with the lack of experience coming back, but there is still a ton of talent in those forwards.

Comment

Working...
                                X