Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    Frozen Four contender? We didn't make the tournament dude.
    We missed the tournament by 0.0002 RPI points. I contend that we make the tournament and have a chance to advance with Turris.
    Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
      I agree. There is a serious difference between getting into the NCAAs and being a Frozen Four contender.
      There is? Do you remember 2008 when the Badgers barely made the tournament and were an OT loss away from making the Frozen four? If you make the tourney, you are a contender to make the Frozen Four in my opinion. All it takes is 2 good games.

Comment

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
        There is? Do you remember 2008 when the Badgers barely made the tournament and were an OT loss away from making the Frozen four? If you make the tourney, you are a contender to make the Frozen Four in my opinion. All it takes is 2 good games.
        There is a BIG difference between having a chance to make it to the Frozen Four and being a legitimate contender.

According to that logic...RIT (assuming they win Atlantic hockey conf.) is a Frozen Four contender this year. Or Holy Cross was a Frozen Four contender in 2006.

Come on!
        In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
        I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Probably nothing for a while. The USHL has talked about going to a 16 team league for a while now, and as you point out, next season there will be 16 teams. I think the sticking point on the Wausau team was that a rink would get built. I don't know that this has happened yet.

There will be opportunities for Wausau to start a franchise, there will be turnover and teams moving and folding every few years, its the business.
          To my knowledge, the rink isn't anywhere near being built. The economy tanked at the exact wrong time for Wausau.
          Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
          Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
          Originally posted by UWisco
          It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
            I figured that wouldn't be popular. A lot of it is personal preference, especially since they're very different types of players. I just think Helgeson ends up being more valuable to his team than Schultz will.
            Seth Helgeson-26 GP, 0 G, 0 A, 0 PTS
            Justin Schultz-31 GP, 2 G, 12, A, 14 PTS

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
              To my knowledge, the rink isn't anywhere near being built. The economy tanked at the exact wrong time for Wausau.
              Was up there last year for a youth tourney and the games were still being played at the fairgrounds in what amounts to a converted barn. Not sure if there is another rink or not but got the impression that there wasn't.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you

We missed the tournament by 0.0002 RPI points. I contend that we make the tournament and have a chance to advance with Turris.
                What in Kyle's one season here or what he's done since he left would make you think that he could carry a team?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  Was up there last year for a youth tourney and the games were still being played at the fairgrounds in what amounts to a converted barn. Not sure if there is another rink or not but got the impression that there wasn't.
                  The new rink wasn't going to be built in the city of Wausau if I remember correctly. I believe it was supposed to be in Rothschild or something.

Comment

The new rink wasn't going to be built in the city of Wausau if I remember correctly. I believe it was supposed to be in Rothschild or something.
                    Our hotel for that tourney was in Rothschild.

This link is from the WAHA site and it is the directory of arenas where WAHA sanctioned programs play their games. If there was a functioning rink in Rothschild, it would probably have a youth program playing at it. The only Wausau area rink right now is the fairgrounds although a rink could be under construction.

http://www.wahahockey.com/WAHABook/list_rinks.php

Comment

Seth Helgeson-26 GP, 0 G, 0 A, 0 PTS
                      Justin Schultz-31 GP, 2 G, 12, A, 14 PTS
                      To be fair, he didn't give a timetable for that statement to be true. Helgeson could still be move valuable over this career then Schultz will be. Doesn't look that way right now, but stranger things have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                        To be fair, he didn't give a timetable for that statement to be true. Helgeson could still be move valuable over this career then Schultz will be. Doesn't look that way right now, but stranger things have happened.
                        Well, regardless I thought it was a ridiculous statement when it was made, and I feel the same way today.

Comment

What in Kyle's one season here or what he's done since he left would make you think that he could carry a team?
                          Uh, he was pretty good for that one year as a FRESHMEN. He had 35 points. He was almost a lock to be a 40 point scorer going forward and I didn't say he would carry the team. I said having him would make up the 0.002 RPI to get to the tournament and do some damage.

There is a BIG difference between having a chance to make it to the Frozen Four and being a legitimate contender.

According to that logic...RIT (assuming they win Atlantic hockey conf.) is a Frozen Four contender this year. Or Holy Cross was a Frozen Four contender in 2006.

Come on!
                          Fair enough, but we are talking about UW here which had the talent to match up with anyone in the nation. Also, BSU made the frozen four last year. Were they considered a contender?

Comment

Uh, he was pretty good for that one year as a FRESHMEN. He had 35 points. He was almost a lock to be a 40 point scorer going forward and I didn't say he would carry the team. I said having him would make up the 0.002 RPI to get to the tournament and do some damage.
                            Don't know why I bother...

So you don't specifically say that he'd carry the team, but you say that he'd have been the difference to get us in the tournament(I agree) AND make us a contender(nothing that he's done indicates that he has nuts of the required size).

That team was fundamentally flawed and KT wouldn't have saved them form their flaws and they'd have most likely been out in the regionals. Even Reinprecht and Heatley together couldn't carry us to a FF but Turris would have? Nope.

Turris, although good, wasn't as good as the hype and hasn't been since he left, although that can be blamed on Mr. Gretzky.

Comment

Don't know why I bother...

So you don't specifically say that he'd carry the team, but you say that he'd have been the difference to get us in the tournament(I agree) AND make us a contender(nothing that he's done indicates that he has nuts of the required size).

That team was fundamentally flawed and KT wouldn't have saved them form their flaws and they'd have most likely been out in the regionals. Even Reinprecht and Heatley together couldn't carry us to a FF but Turris would have? Nope.

Turris, although good, wasn't as good as the hype and hasn't been since he left, although that can be blamed on Mr. Gretzky.
                              Would Turris have given them the bump to make the tournament, sure. And once you make the tournament, anything can happen, but that team wasn't one goal scorer away from being a FF favorite (nor even a favorite to make it past the 1st round.)

Turris wouldn't have given that team the killer instinct and leadership to put teams away and win the tight games.

Now, I do believe that if with the two BC players for the whole season (Turris stays and Street doesn't get injured), the season plays out totally differently, but UW still would not have been an FF favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                                Would Turris have given them the bump to make the tournament, sure. And once you make the tournament, anything can happen, but that team wasn't one goal scorer away from being a FF favorite (nor even a favorite to make it past the 1st round.)
                                This post is what I was trying to say, but somehow it got interpreted as that UW would be a frozen four favorite. Why don't you guys quit trying to jump all over my posts and actually read them:

All in all, we have little to complain about Eaves and his recruiting in my opinion. We were a Kyle Turris away from being a Frozen Four contender last year, and we all know he made the wrong decision to go pro. Some things are out of his control and he tries to mitigate the risk of players going pro after learning from experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X