PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Recruiting: What are you going to do, when NHL-U, comes calling for you?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Chuck Schwartz
02-24-2010, 04:07 PM
To be fair, he didn't give a timetable for that statement to be true. Helgeson could still be move valuable over this career then Schultz will be. Doesn't look that way right now, but stranger things have happened.

Well, regardless I thought it was a ridiculous statement when it was made, and I feel the same way today.

VarsityWisconsin
02-27-2010, 08:54 AM
What in Kyle's one season here or what he's done since he left would make you think that he could carry a team?

Uh, he was pretty good for that one year as a FRESHMEN. He had 35 points. He was almost a lock to be a 40 point scorer going forward and I didn't say he would carry the team. I said having him would make up the 0.002 RPI to get to the tournament and do some damage.

There is a BIG difference between having a chance to make it to the Frozen Four and being a legitimate contender.

According to that logic...RIT (assuming they win Atlantic hockey conf.) is a Frozen Four contender this year. Or Holy Cross was a Frozen Four contender in 2006.

Come on!

Fair enough, but we are talking about UW here which had the talent to match up with anyone in the nation. Also, BSU made the frozen four last year. Were they considered a contender?

Gurtholfin
02-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Uh, he was pretty good for that one year as a FRESHMEN. He had 35 points. He was almost a lock to be a 40 point scorer going forward and I didn't say he would carry the team. I said having him would make up the 0.002 RPI to get to the tournament and do some damage.

Don't know why I bother...

So you don't specifically say that he'd carry the team, but you say that he'd have been the difference to get us in the tournament(I agree) AND make us a contender(nothing that he's done indicates that he has nuts of the required size).

That team was fundamentally flawed and KT wouldn't have saved them form their flaws and they'd have most likely been out in the regionals. Even Reinprecht and Heatley together couldn't carry us to a FF but Turris would have? Nope.

Turris, although good, wasn't as good as the hype and hasn't been since he left, although that can be blamed on Mr. Gretzky.

Almington
02-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Don't know why I bother...

So you don't specifically say that he'd carry the team, but you say that he'd have been the difference to get us in the tournament(I agree) AND make us a contender(nothing that he's done indicates that he has nuts of the required size).

That team was fundamentally flawed and KT wouldn't have saved them form their flaws and they'd have most likely been out in the regionals. Even Reinprecht and Heatley together couldn't carry us to a FF but Turris would have? Nope.

Turris, although good, wasn't as good as the hype and hasn't been since he left, although that can be blamed on Mr. Gretzky.

Would Turris have given them the bump to make the tournament, sure. And once you make the tournament, anything can happen, but that team wasn't one goal scorer away from being a FF favorite (nor even a favorite to make it past the 1st round.)

Turris wouldn't have given that team the killer instinct and leadership to put teams away and win the tight games.

Now, I do believe that if with the two BC players for the whole season (Turris stays and Street doesn't get injured), the season plays out totally differently, but UW still would not have been an FF favorite.

VarsityWisconsin
02-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Would Turris have given them the bump to make the tournament, sure. And once you make the tournament, anything can happen, but that team wasn't one goal scorer away from being a FF favorite (nor even a favorite to make it past the 1st round.)

This post is what I was trying to say, but somehow it got interpreted as that UW would be a frozen four favorite. Why don't you guys quit trying to jump all over my posts and actually read them:

All in all, we have little to complain about Eaves and his recruiting in my opinion. We were a Kyle Turris away from being a Frozen Four contender last year, and we all know he made the wrong decision to go pro. Some things are out of his control and he tries to mitigate the risk of players going pro after learning from experience.

RinkPig
02-27-2010, 12:15 PM
They should rename this post - "Sconi recruiting: what are you going to do when Eaves takes back your Scholarship"

Gurtholfin
02-27-2010, 12:28 PM
This post is what I was trying to say, but somehow it got interpreted as that UW would be a frozen four favorite. Why don't you guys quit trying to jump all over my posts and actually read them:

Oh... you're just misunderstood. :rolleyes:

We wouldn't have been a FF "contender" either. We weren't a good team last year.

VarsityWisconsin
02-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Oh... you're just misunderstood. :rolleyes:

We wouldn't have been a FF "contender" either. We weren't a good team last year.

To UW standards we weren't a good team. But the fact of the matter is that we had a good enough team that with one more win, we make the tournament. After that, I contend that we could've beaten anyone in our bracket just like we almost did with a losing record in 2008. For as smart as you think you are, it's hard to believe you won't buy my argument even though the exact case just about happened right in front of our faces in Madison in the previous year. Plus you add in the solid freshmen class that Eaves recruited for the next year with guys like Stepan and Gardiner and we probably have an even stronger team. Plus we didn't even lose that many key players. (Drewski probably being the most important plus Street tearing his knee)

Or maybe you just try to pick apart every one of my posts because you have nothing better to do. Who knows...

badgerhawk
02-27-2010, 03:22 PM
They should rename this post - "Sconi recruiting: what are you going to do when Eaves takes back your Scholarship"

Which POST are you talking about? Maybe the one up your ***. Troll somewhere else.

Dan
02-27-2010, 03:36 PM
You make the tournament and your a FF contender - just ask 2009 lower seeds Bemidji State, Miami and Vermont. Miami made the tourney by an eyelash last year and came within a minute of winning the championship...

Interesting thing about sports, anything can happen...

Almington
02-27-2010, 07:25 PM
You make the tournament and your a FF contender - just ask 2009 lower seeds Bemidji State, Miami and Vermont. Miami made the tourney by an eyelash last year and came within a minute of winning the championship...

I think that is a overly broad definition of a contender. In my world you have to be on of the top 8 seeds to be realistically considered a F4 contender, just because you have a chance to make the F4 does not make you a contender.

Pucky-Bucky Backer
02-27-2010, 07:30 PM

Just because you make the tournament does not make you a contender. The AHA autobid will not be considered a contender no matter what. When Holy Cross beat Minnesota they were considered lucky, not a contender.

VarsityWisconsin
02-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Just because you make the tournament does not make you a contender. The AHA autobid will not be considered a contender no matter what. When Holy Cross beat Minnesota they were considered lucky, not a contender.

This is just a matter of semantics then. We'll agree to disagree. I'm done whining about Kyle Turris.. for now.

MW4Bucky&SNC
02-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Or we could rename the THREAD "Wisconsin Recruiting - yet another thread where RinkPig contributes absolutely nothing."

Gurtholfin
02-28-2010, 08:27 AM
This is just a matter of semantics then. We'll agree to disagree. I'm done whining about Kyle Turris.. for now.

Semantics = VW writes stupid stuff that others with more knowledge disagree with? :confused:

jk
02-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Not that you should care, but I absolutely think getting into the NCAA tournament gives a major-conference team a legitimate shot at winning the whole thing. Especially last year's Wisconsin team. As a Sioux fan, I saw them hand the Sioux their helmets in the third-place game last year, thinking how Wisconsin could skate with anyone.

Pucky-Bucky Backer
02-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Not that you should care, but I absolutely think getting into the NCAA tournament gives a major-conference team a legitimate shot at winning the whole thing. Especially last year's Wisconsin team. As a Sioux fan, I saw them hand the Sioux their helmets in the third-place game last year, thinking how Wisconsin could skate with anyone.

To a certain extent, that is true. To borrow from the NFL: "On any given Sunday, anyone can win." However in the NCAA playoffs, even Mankato or Michigan Tech (should they win the WCHA playoffs) have to admit that they aren't really in the running for the title.

Gurtholfin
02-28-2010, 09:31 AM

Saying that anything can happen in a short tourney is much different than declaring a flawed team a CONTENDER on the strength of anything can happen in a short tourney.

Chuck Schwartz
03-01-2010, 08:42 AM
How about we get back to UW Recruiting?

With the Wisconsin high school state tournament this weekend in Madison there are going to be a few potential recruits in action. Here are a few names to look at if you are going.

11 AM Superior vs Eau Claire Memorial

Superior
Chris Bishop-Defense (Senior)
Brett Bukowski-Defense (Soph)
Nolan Holcombe-Forward (Soph)
Caleb Dushkin-Forward (Soph)
Daniel Litchke-Forward (Frosh)

Memorial
Alex Dahl-Forwad (Junior)
Shayne McLaughlin-Defense (Senior)
Michael Kapla-Defense (Frosh)
Brady Burzynski-Forward (Soph)
Hunter Scott-Forward (Junior)
Saxton Soley-Goalie (Junior)

1:15 Wausau West vs Wisconsin Rapids

Wausau West
Garrett Clemente-Forward (Junior)
Derek Knetter-Defense (Senior)
Kyle Lee-Forward (Soph)
Josh Feemster-Defense (Frosh)
Austin Priebe-Goalie (Soph)

5:00 Stoughton vs University School of Milwaukee

Stoughton
Trevor Hoth-Forward (Junior)
Neil McMillian-Defense (Junior)

University School
Ashton Wackym-Forward (Soph)
Simon Leahy-Forward (Junior)

7:15 Madison Edgewood vs Notre Dame Academy

Madison Edgewood
Gage Maurer-Forward (Junior)
Taylor Brown-Forward (Soph)
Zach Zanoya-Forward (Soph)
Cameron Brown-Forward (Frosh)

Notre Dame Academy
Max McCormick-Forward (Senior)
Tim Davison-Defense (Soph)
Tony Kujava-Goalie (Senior)
Steven Phillips-Forward (Frosh)
Austin Veith-Forward (Soph)
Brandon Walls-Forward (Soph)
Jason Reynolds-Forward (Frosh)

uwbadgers14
03-01-2010, 02:10 PM
How about we get back to UW Recruiting?

With the Wisconsin high school state tournament this weekend in Madison there are going to be a few potential recruits in action. Here are a few names to look at if you are going.

11 AM Superior vs Eau Claire Memorial

Superior
Chris Bishop-Defense (Senior)
Brett Bukowski-Defense (Soph)
Nolan Holcombe-Forward (Soph)
Caleb Dushkin-Forward (Soph)
Daniel Litchke-Forward (Frosh)

Memorial
Alex Dahl-Forwad (Junior)
Shayne McLaughlin-Defense (Senior)
Michael Kapla-Defense (Frosh)
Brady Burzynski-Forward (Soph)