PDA

View Full Version : Universities with On Campus Rinks w/o NCAA Team

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Flashy Man
08-18-2009, 10:28 PM
I don't know if a list has been put together of all the universities that have on campus ice rinks that don't sponsor NCAA sanctioned hockey. So, the few that I now off the top of my head are UPenn and Penn State. What are some others? I'll compile the list as we go.

Greenberg Ice Pavillion, Pennsylvania State University - University Park, PA
Class of 1923 Rink, University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, PA - 2900 Seats
UIC Pavillion, University of Illinois at Chicago - Chicago, IL - 6900 Seats
KSU Ice Arena, Kent State University - Kent, OH < 1000 Seats
McMullen Hockey Arena, United State Naval Academy - Annapolis, MD - 800 seats expandable to 3000 seats
University Recreation Center, Eastern Washington University - Cheney, WA - 750 Seats
University of Colorado at Boulder - Boulder, CO
Boss Arena, University of Rhode Island - Kingston, RI - 2500 Seats
ISU Ice Arena, Iowa State University, Ames, IA - 1000 Seats
University of Illinois Ice Rink, University of Illinois, Champaign, IL - 1200 Seats
Ice Sheet Ogden, Weber State University, Ogden, UT - 2000 Seats
University of Michigan-Dearborn Ice Arena, Unv. of Michigan-Dearborn- Dearborn, MI - seats 1,500
Ossian C. Bird Arena, Ohio University - Athens OH- seats 2000
Lindenwood Ice Arena, Lindenwood University - St. Charles, MO - Seats 1,000
LaHaye Ice Center, Liberty University- Lynchburg, VA - Seats 3,200
Mediacom Ice Park, Missouri State University - Springfield, MO - Seats 1,500
Tennity Ice Skating Pavilion, Syracuse University - Syracuse, NY - Seats 300 (Note: Has D1 Womens Team)
Floyd Hall Arena, Montclair State University - Montclair, NJ
Fred Rust Ice Arena, University of Delaware - Newark, DE
RBC Center - North Carolina State University - Raleigh, NC - Seats 18,176
Cajundome - University of Louisiana at Lafayette - Lafayette, LA - Seats 11,433
Pinnacle Bank Arena/John Breslow Ice Hockey Center - University of Nebraska - Lincoln - Lincoln, NE - Seats 12,700/700

slurpees
08-18-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't know if a list has been put together of all the universities that have on campus ice rinks that don't sponsor NCAA sanctioned hockey. So, the few that I now off the top of my head are UPenn and Penn State. What are some others? I'll compile the list as we go.

Pennsylvania State University - University Park, PA
University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, PA
University of Illinois at Chicago - Chicago, IL
Kent State University - Kent, OH

are these campuses with just rinks or actual arenas?

Patman
08-18-2009, 10:37 PM
great summer topic... ****ed if i have any suggestions... i'd wonder about some of those schools out west and any place where the school is its own city.

Flashy Man
08-18-2009, 10:40 PM

A facility capable of keeping an ice sheet for starters, then we can break it down. Maybe post seating capacities if available.

Patman
08-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Eastern Washington University -- Cheney, WA

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/jan/15/ewu-rink-offers-quality-ice-time/?print-friendly

IIRC, they were talking potential D-1 a couple of years ago.

edit: from the article add Colorado and Colorado State

Netman
08-18-2009, 10:44 PM
University of Rhode Island has a rink

Flashy Man
08-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Eastern Washington University -- Cheney, WA

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/jan/15/ewu-rink-offers-quality-ice-time/?print-friendly

IIRC, they were talking potential D-1 a couple of years ago.

edit: from the article add Colorado and Colorado State

I can't seem to find any other record for CSU of an on campus rink.

Larch
08-19-2009, 12:17 AM
I thought Illinois had one on campus, and I know Utah has one from the Olympics.

Happy
08-19-2009, 07:38 AM
My high school has two rinks, and we would be more than happy to sell one to a deserving ncaa team that needs our old one.

CHFAN222
08-19-2009, 08:04 AM

McMullen Hockey Arena, United State Naval Academy - Annapolis, MD - 800 seats expandable to 3000 seats
University Recreation Center, Eastern Washington University - Cheney, WA - 750 Seats
University of Illinois Ice Rink, University of Illinois, Champaign, IL - 1200 Seats

If URI already has a rink that seats 2500 why are they not in HE? I mean they would be an obvious geogrpahical fit and would make for a good rival with Providence.

West Texas Wolverine
08-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Penn, UIC, and Kent State all used to have Div-I hockey, so I'm guessing they're still arenas.

nmupiccdiva
08-19-2009, 08:33 AM

Expandable?

XCTiger
08-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Syracuse - Tennity Ice Pavilion - 300 seats, but being expanded.

http://emc.syr.edu/tour/new/57.html

moose97
08-19-2009, 09:39 AM
I McMullen Hockey Arena, United State Naval Academy - Annapolis, MD - 800 seats expandable to 3000 seats

Expandable?

http://www.usna.edu/Hockey/Main%20Page%20Links/McMullenRink.htm

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/navy/graphics/facilities/mcmullen-hockey3-800.jpg
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/navy/graphics/facilities/mcmullen-hockey4-800.jpg

Looks like a nice AHA facility.

cetihcra
08-19-2009, 09:58 AM
I can't seem to find any other record for CSU of an on campus rink.

AFAIK CSU doesn't have an on-campus ice rink -- their club team plays at the city owned EPIC, with occasional games at the Bud Event Center in Windsor. CU's rink probably holds 1000....it's not a terribly facility, but it's dated.

r

CHFAN222
08-19-2009, 09:59 AM
http://www.usna.edu/Hockey/Main%20Page%20Links/McMullenRink.htm

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/navy/graphics/facilities/mcmullen-hockey3-800.jpg
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/navy/graphics/facilities/mcmullen-hockey4-800.jpg

Looks like a nice AHA facility.

Not to be negative but if Navy has these nice facilities and just successfully hosted the frozen four why have they not made a move and tried to get a varsity program? I mean even though it would make scheduling a pain I'm sure the AHA would accept them. Maybe the powers that be at the Naval academy just don't want it to ever happen.

beaverhockey
08-19-2009, 10:06 AM
hard to tell in the picture...but is that a net (or screen) to protect the lights and scoreboard?

Hard to look at IMO.

joecct
08-19-2009, 10:14 AM
hard to tell in the picture...but is that a net (or screen) to protect the lights and scoreboard?

Hard to look at IMO.Net is on the glass protecting the fans. If I had a few more $$, I would expand the seating. Right now the bleachers are between the top of the faceoff circles and fill up quickly for Navy and HS games. If they had more seats (and a snack bar), McMullen would be able to host the Maryland High School hockey championships.

schiegs
08-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Missouri State University
Springfield, MO
Mediacom Ice Park
Seats about 1,500
Excellent attendance, games against Mizzou are a hot ticket.

sbkbghockey
08-19-2009, 11:53 AM

A few more:

University of Michigan-Dearborn Ice Arena, Unv. of Michigan-Dearborn- Dearborn, MI - seats 1500
Ossian C. Bird Arena, Ohio University - Athens OH- seats 2000
Lindenwood Ice Arena, Lindenwood University - St. Charles, MO - Seats 1000
LaHaye Ice Center, Liberty University- Lynchburg, VA -

I'm probably forgetting a few others, it's also important to note alot of other schools have arenas very close to campus! Unv of Buffalo, Indiana, Missouri State

Missouri State University
Springfield, MO
Mediacom Ice Park
Seats about 1,500
Excellent attendance, games against Mizzou are a hot ticket.

it's not on campus, it only a few blocks away and owned by the city. But still a great place to watch ACHA hockey, that place is always rockin!!