Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Universities with On Campus Rinks w/o NCAA Team

Include Seton Hall and NC State

NC state has a basketball arena on campus that they share with the Carolina Hurricanes.

Seton Hall plays basketball at the Prudential Center in Newark.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
      Include Seton Hall and NC State

NC state has a basketball arena on campus that they share with the Carolina Hurricanes.

Seton Hall plays basketball at the Prudential Center in Newark.
      Well, by your rationale with Seton Hall...

Marquette uses the Bradley Center for basketball, and has the US Cellular Arena next door. Both are capable of having hockey (the Bradley Center actually has the Admirals and the occasional Frozen Four), and are maybe half a mile, at most, from campus.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Well, by your rationale with Seton Hall...

Marquette uses the Bradley Center for basketball, and has the US Cellular Arena next door. Both are capable of having hockey (the Bradley Center actually has the Admirals and the occasional Frozen Four), and are maybe half a mile, at most, from campus.
        Maybe Marquette should have a team. I mean there is only one college D1 team in all of Wisconsin. Being a catholic school they could probably get in some agreements with Notre Dame, BC, and Providence.

Comment

Maybe Marquette should have a team. I mean there is only one college D1 team in all of Wisconsin. Being a catholic school they could probably get in some agreements with Notre Dame, BC, and Providence.
          I think it was bandied about once upon a time. Other UW posters would know more about it than me.

Evidently, Marquette would want an "on campus" rink before they get a hockey team. The reasoning, considering that the Bradley Center and US Cellular aren't far from campus to begin with, is probably control of revenue: they'd rather own the building themselves or not do it at all.

But at the same time, I'm sure you can read between the lines and assume that the real reason is "uh, we have no way to control demand on our basketball team since it plays in an 18,000 seater arena that we never sell out and don't own... why would we want to compete with it by having a hockey team?"

Similarly, UW-Green Bay was once going to start a team in the 80s. They supposedly were going to get Badger Bob to coach them, but the basketball boosters killed the plan.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Larch View Post
            I thought Illinois had one on campus, and I know Utah has one from the Olympics.
            The University of Illinois Ice Arena has an extremely wide ice surface - approximately 115 feet, if I recall. It also has a number of other features (limited seating, terrible sight lines from anywhere other than the first row of the balconies, no press facilities to speak of, and locker rooms located downstairs from the ice surface) that render it utterly unsuitable for NCAA hockey - which, I realize, was not necessarily the point of this thread.

Also, add the University of Delaware (Fred Rust Ice Arena, capacity 2,500) to the list:

http://www.bluehens.com/sportsinfo/f...icearenas.html
            "The Game 1 crowd of 2,000 sounded like 5,000. The Game 2 crowd of 4,000 sounded like 10,000." - Bill Ballou, Worcester Telegram & Gazette, on the noise generated by Binghamton Senators fans during the 2003 AHL quarterfinals

"You know one thing about this town: This is a great place to play hockey. This is a great hockey town and the people who come to these games really support us." - Jason Spezza, on Binghamton, NY, in the Ottawa Sun, 09/28/04

Comment

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
              I'm probably forgetting a few others, it's also important to note alot of other schools have arenas very close to campus! Unv of Buffalo, Indiana, Missouri State
              Regarding Indiana. If by 'very close to campus' you mean in the same town, then I'll give it to you. And, there is absolutely no way that rink could support D-1 hockey. Small ice surface and way too old.

Rumor has it that when they built Assembly Hall they were going to make it possible to convert it into an ice arena too. You can even tell this by it's current interior architecture. But Bob Knight nixed those plans...
              "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
              - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
              CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

If URI already has a rink that seats 2500 why are they not in HE? I mean they would be an obvious geogrpahical fit and would make for a good rival with Providence.
                Because they don't want to add 36 scholarships or drop any other men's sports.

After Vermont was admitted Hockey East put in a requirement that any new team must have a rink with a minimum 5000 seat capacity. Providence and Merrimack are grandfathered.

There was supposed to be a 7000 seat arena built on the campus of Carolina Coast University but I don't think it ever happened

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
                  After Vermont was admitted Hockey East put in a requirement that any new team must have a rink with a minimum 5000 seat capacity. Providence and Merrimack are grandfathered.
                  I'm surprised its that high... I'd figure 4K is suitable for Hockey East.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                    I'm surprised its that high... I'd figure 4K is suitable for Hockey East.
                    How high is Vermont's ?
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                      How high is Vermont's ?
                      Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                      "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Because they don't want to add 36 scholarships or drop any other men's sports.

There was supposed to be a 7000 seat arena built on the campus of Carolina Coast University but I don't think it ever happened
                        Coastal Carolina?

Comment

Seems like a silly requirement, as Tsongas and Conte are commonly less than half full, although I think that they are great hockey venues; also, Gutterson is always a sell out at 4303, I think.

Comment

5000 is an ineresting number for HEA, considering the WCHA's requirement is 4000 - meaning that they set the number 200 lower than the smallest building in the conference (MTU *), and the W is generally seen as the conf. with the largest, most modern buildings in college hockey.

* and from what I'm hearing, Bemidji's rink will be larger than MTU's as well. I know it's been said it's 4000 seats, but I keep hearing that it'll be more than that... I'll try to get a true # of seats, if not capacity, when I take my next tour.
                            Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                            B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                            CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                            ECAC:
                            HEA: UMass
                            NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                            Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                              5000 is an ineresting number for HEA, considering the WCHA's requirement is 4000 - meaning that they set the number 200 lower than the smallest building in the conference (MTU *), and the W is generally seen as the conf. with the largest, most modern buildings in college hockey.

* and from what I'm hearing, Bemidji's rink will be larger than MTU's as well. I know it's been said it's 4000 seats, but I keep hearing that it'll be more than that... I'll try to get a true # of seats, if not capacity, when I take my next tour.
                              One difference is how capacity is counted in various conferences, I believe in the WCHA it's seating+standing room, whereas the CCHA is just seating. The MacInnes actually only seats about 3000.
                              Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                              What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                                One difference is how capacity is counted in various conferences, I believe in the WCHA it's seating+standing room, whereas the CCHA is just seating. The MacInnes actually only seats about 3000.
                                That's correct about the W - the 4000 number is "capacity," meaning seating + suites + standing. Still interesting to me because of the reason I stated. I'm not aware of a minimum number for the CCHA, or what the 5000 number represents for HEA (seats or capacity)...
                                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                                B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                                CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                                ECAC:
                                HEA: UMass
                                NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                                Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Working...
                                X