This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Wonder if Bill Murray Could Coach Hockey

The recent posts have me thinking about Markell and OSU men's hockey on a variety of levels.

First, attendance. I've noticed that a lot of the "regulars"--people who used to sit in and around my section at the Schott (122) are no longer there. And now, in this thread, we have folks openly admitting that either they 1) may not renew their season tickets or 2) have already reduced the number of games their going to. I've missed more games this year--voluntarily--than I have since I've been a season ticket holder (1994-1995). And those games in '94-'95-'96 were bad, bad, bad. But then, back then, you kind of expected them to be. Occasionally, you'd leave a game surprised and pleased. Today, you leave them disappointed and angry.

Moreover, that fan apathy has to show up, somewhere, somehow, in OSU Athletic Dept.'s financial data. Factor in that this is Markell's contract renewal year and I wonder if the AD's attention might focus briefly but necessarily to the issue of Markell's future tenure. In short, his hand might be forced. We'll see.

Second, after this season's long day's journey into night ends, I wonder what kind of exodus in talent we'll see as well. Will Dalpe leave? Albert? Bartkowski? If so, does that put more--or less--pressure on the administration to relieve Markell of his duties? Personally, I think if such losses occur it's unrelated to that decision, but to use HckyDoc's analogy, it's the Groundhog's Day syndrome becoming manifest again. We've seen this before, and we've been hearing I Got You, Babe played waaayyy too many times now.

Finally, one wonders if Markell is shown the door what kind of coach OSU would try to go after. My favorite fantasy-hockey scenario is that the Bucks steal Gwozdecky from Denver so he can come back and haunt his former employer at that school down south. On the other hand, I'm not sure there's anything wrong with pursuing an up-an-coming coach either. It's a tough call, but given the financial climate I'd bet on the latter choice.

But for now we've got to live (suffer?) through the rest of the season. Cue up Sonny and Cher one more time....

Comment

• Re: Ohio State U. ( 2009-2010 )

The fans will come back as soon as this team gets back to winning some games and can stay over 500%.

Sometimes the organization needs a change to jump start the program back to life.

The A-Director should get both sides of the story and talk to the players and Coaches about the direction this team is headed. If Markell was coaching in the NHL , he would be sitting in his lazy-boy recliner watching college hockey at home along time ago.

I think Dalpe and ? will be gone to the NHL next year. Both were asked last year but wanted to wait hoping they could go far this year after coming of a good season last year.

The good news is we will have both goalies back next year.

What scares me is the Coaching staff with-out signed contracts this late in the season is, what drive do they have to recruit new talented players if they know there possibly gone next year.

Go BUCKS GO , Surprise us and start " PEAKING " for the playoffs. EH.
      " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

I think that with the 'right' coach and even a marginally increased investment by the University (um, marketing perhaps?) tOSU could compete for recruits with the top programs. Facilities and infrastructure and academically-wise tOSU is certainly way up there and has much to offer. There would appear to be some decent recruits in the wings for '10 and '11 (stellar goal tender, Gibson, if he actually shows up in '11). After that, who knows, but with a well respected staff in place, I think more top-end kids would consider tOSU. Frankly, in the coaching and scouting world-at-large, Markell is not particularly well respected as a coach. Even a modest upgrade could have a significant impact on performance, attendance, etc. As for next year, I would venture a guess that Dalpe, Albert, and Bishop will be gone; probably not Bartkowski (he is an engineering major and I would guess he will stick the 4 years to have that degree in hand, but just a guess) or Sims. We could also lose other players such as Shafer, Schneider, and Steffishen if the coaching staff does not turn over, as they appear to me to have gotten pretty screwed (IMHO) this year. On any team there will be kids who can play that, for what ever reason, are just off the 'active' list, but the talent we have had sitting in the stands on any given game night puzzles me. Perhaps there are attitude or behavior or other factors at work that are not obvious but are keeping them out of the lineup or in limited duty (which certainly is common with any team), but I just don't get it.

Oh well, I'm not a coach so I'll just sit back and b !t ch like everyone else...
        Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
          For me this entire discussion comes down to one thing: is the OSU Athletic Department content with the occasional winning season and a mediocre program or do they care enough about hockey to try and upgrade. The current coach has had ample opportunity to demonstrate how far he can take the program.
          Draighlicht, my thoughts exactly. Gene Smith is always saying, "We expect all our programs to be championship programs." We'll all find out in the offseason if that is true, or just idle chatter. And I definitely agree that having been here for 15+ seasons, Markell has had more than enough time to get this program to the next level.
          Last edited by osualum86; 02-12-2010, 09:34 AM.

Comment

One other thing to consider in this discussion is the increased presence of the Big Ten Network. They intend to do more hockey in the future. Don't be surprised if they promote more round robin style play, and that adds Wisconsin and Minnesota to OSU's schedule on a semi frequent basis. Needless to say but that should increase attendance at the Schott. Those two schools have a bit more pizazz than Ferris State and Lake Superior (Western and Northern Michigan still have that 'Michigan' word in their names).

The Big Ten Network could have the effect of making OSU more appealing to more coaches should (when) Markell (be) is replaced. Semi frequent games on TV appeals to players and parents of players.

I have my own private list of folks I'd like them to talk to, but until there's an official vacancy I'll keep it private (but I hope my friends in Oxford read this just so they have to worry ).

Comment

I can't imagine Rico leaving for another CCHA school, even Michigan, much less OSU. That said, Bergeron or Brekke could definitely be enticed though it feels like Bergeron and Blasi are tied to the hip. When Parker, York, Gwozdecky and Lucia leave/retire/get fired, then I'll worry. Also, though mentioned in jest, no way Gwoz leaves Denver for Columbus. Why? Money? DU would match, plus living in Columbus (as I do) vs. Denver. I'd never make that swap in a hundred years. But, never say never, I suppose.

If you guys do not renew Markell, they need to go after someone, say like a Scott Sandelin at UMD, Walt Kyle at NMU - someone who has a decent name that would come to Columbus and who's well established but not over the hill. Can you imagine how effective Walt Kyle would be with OSU's resources? Get an established college coach and throw the money at him that's required to get him to leave where he's at. Obviously the university has the money to burn on hockey, because they have to be losing tens of thousands of dollars at every home game currently by opening that building for 2,000 people...curtain or not.
              http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!!

( )

Comment

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
                  Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!! Casey Jones!!

( )
                  No way they hire him. It would be like hiring someone off this staff. I dont dislike Casey but too much like markell and it would be a lateral move IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                    I can't imagine Rico leaving for another CCHA school, even Michigan, much less OSU.
                    Neither can I, but if you are a school looking for someone to build a program you have to make that phone call. What he's done at Miami makes him the 800 pound gorilla sitting in the room if you are looking for a coach. You simply can't ignore him.

He might be on my list, but reality says 'no way he leaves Miami.'

Miami might as well get used to this - every time there's a major (or wannabe major) opening for acoach Rico's name will come up.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                      No way they hire him. It would be like hiring someone off this staff. I dont dislike Casey but too much like markell and it would be a lateral move IMO.
                      Actually, I think Casey is not at all like Markell from a coaching perspective (Casey is very well respected as a coach, recruiter, and strategist), and IMHO he was the primary reason why tOSU was able to attract the higher-end recruits they did during his tenure. That said, he is first in line to take the head coaching position at his alma mater, so practically speaking I can't see him coming back. As for poaching from 'that school down south' , I can see going for Bergeron, but I can't imagine Rico would jump ship, as he has that team poised to be top-tier team for a long time...

Comment

I agree that Rico would not leave miami for another CCHA school. I just want to see a coach get the most out of the talent on this team.

Comment

I don't see Rico leaving a perennial top five Miami program for a rebuilding project like ours. I do agree, though, that we should offer him and make him say no. I would be disappointed in our athletic department if they didn't at least talk to him. I don't see him leaving Miami, though, and I don't think he'll have a very hard time turning us down or lose any sleep over it. As for Casey Jones, I don't want him back. Call it guilt by association, I guess, and maybe that's not fair, but that's my opinion on him. I don't think he leaves his alma mater, anyway, to come back here.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                            I agree that Rico would not leave miami for another CCHA school. I just want to see a coach get the most out of the talent on this team.
                            Good Point.

The Coaches job is to motivate the players and discipline them as needed.

I want to see a Coach any Coach that will " DEVELOP " this team for the present and the future.

Play and develop the " WHOLE " team and not just his favorites.

Example ,

Here is a example of what I'm talking about. Nothing against this kid at all. It's just to show you that the Coach plays some as " OVER-KILL. " Coach needs to rotate more players.

JEFF MCNEIL // 25
                            Fr., F, 6-3, 205
                            Mulliken, Mich./Wichita Falls Wildcats (NAHL)
                            • Has played in 25-of-28 games, sitting out the second game
                            at Ferris State Nov. 21, the game vs. North Dakota Nov. 27
                            and vs. Miami Dec. 11
                            • +1 vs. Quinnipiac Oct. 9, vs. Denver Oct. 16 and vs. Michigan
                            Dec. 4
                            • Blocked four shots at Miami Dec. 12 and at Michigan
                            State Jan. 23
                            McNeil Career Stats
                            GP G A P Shots P-PIM +/- PP SH GW
                            2009-10 25 0 0 0 4 3-6 -2 0 0 0
                            Total 25 0 0 0 4 3-6 -2 0 0 0
                            McNeil Career Single-Game Highs
                            Shots 1 4x, last Nov. 28, 2009 vs. Bemidji State
                            PIM 2 3x, last Feb. 6, 2010 at Nebraska-Omaha
                            +/- +1 3x, last Dec. 4, 2009 vs. Michigan

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/6...B_OEM_ID=17300
                            Last edited by THE OHIO STATE; 02-12-2010, 04:10 PM. Reason: Add Info.
                            " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                              Neither can I, but if you are a school looking for someone to build a program you have to make that phone call. What he's done at Miami makes him the 800 pound gorilla sitting in the room if you are looking for a coach. You simply can't ignore him.

He might be on my list, but reality says 'no way he leaves Miami.'

Miami might as well get used to this - every time there's a major (or wannabe major) opening for acoach Rico's name will come up.
                              True, true. Well, it's not like we haven't lost coaches in every other sport to larger schools! Ugh...but, let's not go there...please.
                              http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by THE OHIO STATE View Post
                                Good Point.

The Coaches job is to motivate the players and discipline them as needed.

I want to see a Coach any Coach that will " DEVELOP " this team for the present and the future.

Play and develop the " WHOLE " team and not just his favorites.
                                THE OHIO STATE, I'm in agreement with you and Klbaum1077. I just want to see us bring in a coach who can recruit talented players and also mold them into a championship-caliber, perennial top five or top ten team year in and year out. Markell has brought in some talented players here, but he's been an epic failure at building a championship-caliber program. That's been my problem with Markell all along. The guy brings in talent, but then does basically nothing with them, and this season has to be the last straw. We have a team full of players who went to the NCAA Tournament last year and will be lucky to get past the first round of the CCHA Tournament this season. Attendance is as low as I have seen it in a long time, and as Brewmaster alluded to earlier in this thread, even the diehards are starting to not come to the games. It is clearly time for a change. One Frozen Four, one Mason Cup, and five or six one-and-dones in the NCAA Tournament in 15 seasons don't cut it.

Comment

Working...
                                X