X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State U. ( 2009-2010 )

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
    I beleive the athletic departments of the U of MI, U of WI-Madison, and tOSU are self-sufficient. I also beleive if tOSU had competent coaching (which IMHO they currently do not), coupled with the talent they bring in (despite the lack of competent coaching), they would consistently compete at the highest level in the CCHA and make regular appearances in the NCAA tourny. They would also put butts in the seats, which could be the tipping point for a hockey-only facility.
    Arpod, my sentiments exactly, thank you. If Gene Smith brings in a legitimate coach who can take our talent and mold them into a championship-caliber program, the fans will come back. I've said that for years. Ohio State Hockey fans are knowledgable for the most part and they are not going to spend the money to watch a mediocre, underachieving program. That's why we're seeing crowds of 3,000 or less this year. Fans are fed up with it. Bring in a decent coach and that changes. I have to admit, of all the home games we've had this season, I've only been to one home game. As I alluded to in an earlier post on this thread, it's just brutal to go and see the product on the ice, not to mention with only a few thousand fans in attendance, the atmosphere is almost non-existent. It will be an interesting second half of the season and offseason, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
      Interesting PhD thesis on the financing of college athletics:

http://txspace.tamu.edu/bitstream/ha...pdf?sequence=1

It's based primarily on schools without hockey programs, but it has a bunch of references discussing more generic issues of athletic funding. For example, from (presumably now Dr.) Penry's thesis: "The Sports Business Journal reports that, based on 2004-2005 financial data, excluding institutional support, 95 of the 117 the NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision athletic programs lost money (Zimbalist, 2007)." Frankly, the number of programs in the black without institutional support is larger than I would have guessed. I'd also guess that most of the schools with hockey programs do not operate in the black because they do not have gonzo-revenue football or roundball programs.

I beleive the athletic departments of the U of MI, U of WI-Madison, and tOSU are self-sufficient. I also beleive if tOSU had competent coaching (which IMHO they currently do not), coupled with the talent they bring in (despite the lack of competent coaching), they would consistently compete at the highest level in the CCHA and make regular appearances in the NCAA tourny. They would also put butts in the seats, which could be the tipping point for a hockey-only facility.
      Good stuff there, I read that article years ago in a class I took. My professor at the time broke it down further and it was very eye opening to really see the statistics of it. Majority of D-I hockey programs do operate in the red I would put the number at probably about 45 of the 59 programs. Just a guess there but wouldn't shock me if it were the case.
      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Practice on Monday will be a tough one for the boys after there mini vacation.

We got about two weeks to get things in order and for thr injured players to heal up.

It would be great to come back with a " SWEEP " on our first weekend back VS Bowling Green State.
        " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Originally posted by THE OHIO STATE View Post
          Practice on Monday will be a tough one for the boys after there mini vacation.

We got about two weeks to get things in order and for thr injured players to heal up.

It would be great to come back with a " SWEEP " on our first weekend back VS Bowling Green State.
          A sweep would be a good start to the second half of the season, that's for sure. The only sweep we've had to this point was against Western Michigan at home.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
            A sweep would be a good start to the second half of the season, that's for sure. The only sweep we've had to this point was against Western Michigan at home.
            I think a sweep is a must vs BG at home in 2 weeks if they want any chance to turn this around. After that the schedule gets pretty brutal with msu and ferris back to back weekends to end the month of jan.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
              I think a sweep is a must vs BG at home in 2 weeks if they want any chance to turn this around. After that the schedule gets pretty brutal with msu and ferris back to back weekends to end the month of jan.
              Klbaum ... Exactly. If this team can't sweep Bowling Green, then forget the rest of the season. In addition to MSU and Ferris State, we also have to travel to UNO (I can't ever remember us going out there and getting more than a split). We also host Alaska-Fairbanks which won't be easy and we end the season with a home-and-home against Miami. I'm obviously pulling for this program to turn it around this season, but realistically, I just don't see it happening.

Comment

Let's make some " NOISE. " It's been a long dry spell over the holidays with no Buckeye hockey action.

" GO BUCKS GO. "
                " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Agreed, gotta sweep BG for a chance to climb back into contention. But at this point, anything to take our minds off the Jackets sucking it up would be nice. Another loss in the last minute tonight. Ugh.
                  Last edited by BuckeyeMike20; 01-02-2010, 08:49 PM.

Comment

It's just crazy how fast teams can move up or down in the CCHA standings this year because of the new point system. 3 points for a regulation win.

If you sweep a team for the weekend you can move up in the standings pretty quickly. But if you loose a few games in a row you can drop in the standings pretty fast.

" GO BUCKS GO. "
                    " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Originally posted by THE OHIO STATE View Post
                      It's just crazy how fast teams can move up or down in the CCHA standings this year because of the new point system. 3 points for a regulation win.

If you sweep a team for the weekend you can move up in the standings pretty quickly. But if you loose a few games in a row you can drop in the standings pretty fast.

" GO BUCKS GO. "
                      It sure makes every game important. Thats one of the reasons i think a sweep is a must next weekend against BG.

Comment

new jersey for military appreciation night against Alaska on Feb 13

*****http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs152.snc3/17955_392415630474_233280960474_10716829_2202855_n .jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                          new jersey for military appreciation night against Alaska on Feb 13

*****http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs152.snc3/17955_392415630474_233280960474_10716829_2202855_n .jpg******
                          I wonder what a shrink would say if I told him those blotches look like mutant alien poodles?

"You're seeing a whole team of psychiatrists, aren't you?"
                          James Earl Jones as Terence Mann to Kevin Costner as Ray Kansella in "Field of Dreams"
                          Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

OSU recruit Josh(?) Gibson looked great last night in the U17 gold medal game against Ontario. Player of the game, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
                              OSU recruit Josh(?) Gibson looked great last night in the U17 gold medal game against Ontario. Player of the game, IMO.

It's John Gibson.

http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/...&seasonid=4429
                              " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

What ever happened to that 'tool of all tools' MikeTheMullet.

I always start looking at the OSU thread(s) a week or two before the BG series, and it just occurred to me I have not seen any of his meth-inspired rantings for a couple of years now. Seriously, any idea what happened to him? He was always good for a few laughs.
                                Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Working...
                                X