X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ohio State U. ( 2009-2010 )

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
    Have you guys ever had a sell out? If not what's most you ever got for one game?
    Yes, both CCHA playoff games against BG were SRO. Largest crowd, not sure. They have had a few 10,000+ games.

Comment

Some tried to bash OSU for playing their CCHA games at the Ice Ring against BG. Really I didn't see it as a big deal, it was the best that they could do under the circumstances.
      This season is different. Where is the Oct 17th game against Denver to be played. The Schott has a womans conference scheduled that day and the Blue Jackets are at home. It would unforgivable for OSU to paly a home game against the number 1 team in that hole.

Comment

After more research, I found 2 articles that give attendance for the first season the Schott was used. I find it funny that the first article says that 17,045 was a sellout, yet the second game has attendance listed as 17,249 and doesn't mention that the game was a sell out. The Schott website lists that there is seating at hockey games for 17,500.

Article 1: http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/Vie...ATCLID=1005311

Article 2: http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/Vie...ATCLID=1007049

TTT, I wouldn't worry too much about the Denver game. The previous event ends at 4:30. I know that to convert from basketball to hockey takes about 3.5 hours and can be as little as 2.5. I would imagine it would be less to convert from this event to hockey. My guess is the game will be played at 8:00 or 8:30 in the Schott.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
          Does Ohio State's athletic department do a good job promoting the games and trying to get students to attend or is it more the students promoting it themselves?
          The students pretty much do all the marketing themselves, but don't have nearly enough money or resources to do it well. It's extremely hard to do on a campus where people really only care about football and sometimes basketball. Plus it didn't help any that every sporting event was free with a BuckID except football, men's and women's basketball, and men's ice hockey. Apparently they tried to change it and make men's ice hockey free this year too, but last I heard it had been shot down. In previous years, the marketing department has been given a set amount of money to promote the games to everyone, students and public. Most of the resources get allocated to the general public because they pay more money than the students. Apparently they would rather have money than a decent atmosphere. The marketing for Ohio State is being taken over by an external company (supposedly) so I have no idea what will be happening in the future.

Comment

TTT, I wouldn't worry too much about the Denver game. The previous event ends at 4:30. I know that to convert from basketball to hockey takes about 3.5 hours and can be as little as 2.5. I would imagine it would be less to convert from this event to hockey. My guess is the game will be played at 8:00 or 8:30 in the Schott.[/QUOTE]

It would be pushing it to be played at 8:00; maybe nine. I'd rather see a nooner at nationwide. Bringing in the #1 team and playing at the Ice rink should never happen, I just hope that it is not a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by tic tac toe View Post

It would be pushing it to be played at 8:00; maybe nine. I'd rather see a nooner at nationwide. Bringing in the #1 team and playing at the Ice rink should never happen, I just hope that it is not a possibility.
              Wasn't one of the Denver games originally scheduled to be played at Nationwide? I thought it was the Thursday game, but maybe it was Saturday. Why is the series Thursday-Saturday anyways? Can the game be played on Friday night instead?

Comment

Originally posted by OSUHockey09 View Post
                Wasn't one of the Denver games originally scheduled to be played at Nationwide? I thought it was the Thursday game, but maybe it was Saturday. Why is the series Thursday-Saturday anyways? Can the game be played on Friday night instead?
                I think the football team is home that weeked but that shouldnt matter for the friday game. I would have thought that sunday would be a choice but i dont understand the thursday/Saturday either.

Comment

I exepct this team to better good and build off last season. If they are going to be a contender that PP has to be much better than last seaon. I know off the top of my head at MSU they were 1-9 and ND the week before they were something like 2-11 and that was a factor in not getting home ice and that bye. They never got and consistency that they needed. PK was ok and a strenght at times. On offense i think they need to get tougher around the net and bury they chances that come there way. This team will be fast, but i noticed against BU and Michigan they were dominated in the speed department and imo i dont think they were ready for it and didnt adjust to it. I dont know if you put that all on the coaching staff or the players or both but someone has to see it and then make the necessary adjustments in the game plan. I think this team will finish in the top 4 get a bye and advacne to the Joe and get back to the tourney. hopefully they can get a win for the first time since 98.
                  Last edited by klbaum1077; 08-15-2009, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Ohio St will be better this season and may not finish in the top four. Mich and Miami are both loaded this season. ND lost a lot, but have a lot of talented youngsters. This could be N Mich year, they will be a top team factor. UNO was never bad and will only improve with Blais at the helm. Should be an interesting year with BG at the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                      I think the football team is home that weeked but that shouldnt matter for the friday game. I would have thought that sunday would be a choice but i dont understand the thursday/Saturday either.
                      The football team is at Purdue that weekend. To me, the most logical reason that the games are Thurs/Sat is that Athletics wants to play games on their home ice and not pay to use Nationwide (it's always about the money). The event at the Schott is Friday and Saturday, so with a Thursday game and a Saturday late game, they can make it work. I checked Denver's schedule to see if they had anything different (say, a game at Nationwide), but they have the games being played in Columbus, OH. They also have a 5:05 start listed for Thursday, but OSU still had TBA listed.

Comment

Originally posted by buckeye1025 View Post
                        The football team is at Purdue that weekend. To me, the most logical reason that the games are Thurs/Sat is that Athletics wants to play games on their home ice and not pay to use Nationwide (it's always about the money). The event at the Schott is Friday and Saturday, so with a Thursday game and a Saturday late game, they can make it work. I checked Denver's schedule to see if they had anything different (say, a game at Nationwide), but they have the games being played in Columbus, OH. They also have a 5:05 start listed for Thursday, but OSU still had TBA listed.
                        Why would that game be at 505 on a thursday?

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                          Why would that game be at 505 on a thursday?
                          505 local Denver time which would be 705 here is my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitchenhockeydad View Post
                            505 local Denver time which would be 705 here is my guess.
                            duh i am such a goof.

Comment

I got a tour of the Campus and the Shotts arena. Both were top notch. Is their another college arena nicer than this one?

I have been in the Ralph Engelstead arena ND, Wisconsin Badgers arena , Gophers arena MN.

I have also been to the Excel Energy arena home of the Minnesota Wild pro team.

The Shotts arena seats only 500 -800 seats less for hockey than the Excel arena. It looks like a twin to the Excel arena. The only difference is the Excel arena has 3rd level opera seating on the end of the rink that hangs over the goal nets.
                              " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Originally posted by OSUHockey09 View Post
                                The students pretty much do all the marketing themselves, but don't have nearly enough money or resources to do it well. It's extremely hard to do on a campus where people really only care about football and sometimes basketball. Plus it didn't help any that every sporting event was free with a BuckID except football, men's and women's basketball, and men's ice hockey. Apparently they tried to change it and make men's ice hockey free this year too, but last I heard it had been shot down. In previous years, the marketing department has been given a set amount of money to promote the games to everyone, students and public. Most of the resources get allocated to the general public because they pay more money than the students. Apparently they would rather have money than a decent atmosphere. The marketing for Ohio State is being taken over by an external company (supposedly) so I have no idea what will be happening in the future.
                                As a resident of Cbus, I heard promos and spots on 1460/97.1 throughout last season promoting the games and the great ticket prices. I know they are trying, but as others have said, it's a big building and with the CBJ, football and basketball all going on during the hockey season, it's a tough sell to fill the building. If the Ice Rink was just a little larger, that would be the perfect venue. Even with how small it is, the atmosphere in there is great compared to the Schott so playing games there shouldn't be shunned.
                                http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Working...
                                X