New look WCHA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New look WCHA?

we all know in 2010, the WCHA will add 2 teams in BSU and UNO. Now my question to you is. Will the WCHA split into 2 divisions or stick with the overall format of the conference and that have 1 complete standing.

If the WCHA were to split. here what i think it would look like.

WCHA East
    Minnesota
    Mankato State
    Minnesota-Duluth
    Bemidji State
    St Cloud State
    Wisconsin

WCHA West
    North Dakota
    Colorado College
    Denver
    UAA
    Michigan Tech
    UNO

how would you split them up, if we were to go with the split format.
    Go Gophers Go.

Re: New look WCHA?

Originally posted by Gophers #1 View Post
    we all know in 2010, the WCHA will add 2 teams in BSU and UNO. Now my question to you is. Will the WCHA split into 2 divisions or stick with the overall format of the conference and that have 1 complete standing.

If the WCHA were to split. here what i think it would look like.

WCHA East
    Minnesota
    Mankato State
    Minnesota-Duluth
    Bemidji State
    St Cloud State
    Wisconsin

WCHA West
    North Dakota
    Colorado College
    Denver
    UAA
    Michigan Tech
    UNO

how would you split them up, if we were to go with the split format.
    If you weren't aware, Michigan is east of Minnesota. So put Bemidji in the West and Tech in the East and I'd be fine with that.

*****http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs37/f/2008/284/7/2/Geography_FAIL_by_1389AD.png******
    Last edited by Flashy Man; 08-08-2009, 03:54 PM.
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
      If you weren't aware, Michigan is east of Minnesota. So put Bemidji in the West and Tech in the East and I'd be fine with that.

*****http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs37/f/2008/284/7/2/Geography_FAIL_by_1389AD.png******
      It's in the western part of MI. Apparently, that's close enough.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
      -Blackadder
      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
      -Casablanca
      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
        It's in the western part of MI. Apparently, that's close enough.
        or, he just doesn't like tech.
        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

why split the league up?

I think the WCHA can schedule normally and still have UW play rats 4 times, and hopefully the Sioux 4 times annually. after that I'm not as concerned with who gets scheduled where

but...it might be nice for teams that are on the schedule for only one weekend a year to see a true home and home weekend but I guess WCHA would frown on that expense
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I think someone had the idea before of three groups of four teams each, with each team playing the other 3 teams in its group 4 times, and the rest of the teams twice each. I forget the exact details or what the groupings were, but that might be better than splitting into east and west. You won't be able to play 5 teams 4 times each, so two divisions doesn't really make much sense.

Edit: The standings would still be 1-12. It wouldn't be 1-4 three times or anything.
            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
              I think someone had the idea before of three groups of four teams each, with each team playing the other 3 teams in its group 4 times, and the rest of the teams twice each. I forget the exact details or what the groupings were, but that might be better than splitting into east and west. You won't be able to play 5 teams 4 times each, so two divisions doesn't really make much sense.

Edit: The standings would still be 1-12. It wouldn't be 1-4 three times or anything.
              I have to think they'll just opt for 3x4, 8x2 anyhow without the grouping. Every 2 years you rotate through the teams.

(To get really geeky, the easiest way to do this is to consider the round-robin scheduling method... 12 teams means 11 "games" or 11 strings of pairs... so you go 1-2-3, 4-5-6, 7-8-9, 10-11-1, 2-3-4,... as long as you keep the conf intact.)

I think what will happen will depend upon whether or not the WCHA wants to protect certain match-ups.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

However they schedule the games, I am just glad that we have a new home. New arena, new home, new scheduling and a chance to sit next to my brother (Gopher fan) at the same game. Besides that, it really makes my hunch at buying WCHA final tickets a few years ago look like a brilliant move.

Comment

The CCHA's been rolling just fine with 12 teams. Why break things up here?
                  St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

I don't think splitting up makes a lot of sense for a few reasons. As someone already mentioned there are 12 CCHA teams and that works fine. Also how would the playoffs be conducted, would it still be a 1-12, 2-11, etc format or would you have a west and east champion and eliminate the final five? Would there be 2 autobids, and what about two McNaughton Cups? Plus Atlantic Hockey is also gaining two more teams, although most of which are in the MA/NY area.
                    Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Don't forget the inevitable "Two cups, one conference" video.

Comment

Maybe they can have a Big 10 division.

Comment

Originally posted by true2BSU View Post
                          However they schedule the games, I am just glad that we have a new home. New arena, new home, new scheduling and a chance to sit next to my brother (Gopher fan) at the same game. Besides that, it really makes my hunch at buying WCHA final tickets a few years ago look like a brilliant move.
                          Not really. Even having the Holy Five (WI, UND, MN, SCSU, tUMD) in the F5 didn't hurt opportunities for tickets for the weekend at or near cost. The only exception that I recall was the UND/MN title game a couple years ago, but I knew people who bought their tickets off the street on Thu for that game for cheaper than face value.

Only when you wait until you find out the opponents in a certain game you might run into trouble.

The WCHA will roll with one conference and a messed up round robin scenario, as has been discussed ad nauseaum since BSU was admitted.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

looks good

Comment

Not football, we have more than 8 conference games. Don't need 2 divisions.
                              "A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day." -Calvin

4:00 double minors for roughing, to everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X