X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

Originally posted by DavidSec17 View Post
    Thanks for the insight.

As far as the stupid penalties, thats commonpalce around here. Has been for a few seasons now. Its nice to hear someone outside of the RPI circle say that rather than blame it on hometown refs.
    Indeed. Saw several people complain about the call on Pirri that made the penalties matching late in the third, for example. From my look on B2, Pirri's hit after the whistle was arguably worse than the original hit that sparked the penalty against Alaska. That's a downright stupid penalty for us to take, and most likely cost us the win.

Not to say the refs were perfect either. There was a HUGE hold by Alaska in OT that prevented a scoring chance (not necessarily a breakaway, but a chance nonetheless). Alaska player threw our guy to the ice with both hands not 5 feet away from the ref, who watched it happen without so much as flinching. That kind of wishy-washy, pick-and-choose officiating gets me riled up every time. I don't care if it's 5:00 of the first in an exhibition or overtime of the national championship, it's a clear cut penalty and needs to be called.

The box score tells the story though. Outshot 18-2 in the third we were clearly trying to hold on for dear life. And when you get outworked that bad in a period, you're going to take stupid penalties. Credit to RPI for scoring early and putting good pressure on through the first two periods. There just wasn't enough left in the tanks to hold it up through the late game penalties.
    APBWiki

Comment

Team's still 1-0 in games I hadn't written off before the season started. I'm not willing to judge this team on the larger ice surfaces. They don't need to throttle SHU and AIC next weekend but they do need to win and stay out of trouble.

Herpes! Herpes! Stay out of the box!
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Thanks for the insight.

As far as the stupid penalties, thats commonpalce around here. Has been for a few seasons now. Its nice to hear someone outside of the RPI circle say that rather than blame it on hometown refs.
        What good is being a hockey fan if you can't blame the refs?

I look for the team to put on an offensive show next weekend. The freshmen have had a couple of games under their belts they have looked good. Now we have to finish some of those plays.
        Neither opponent has played a game that counts yet, so they are not in game shape. a perfect opportunity to score some goals.
        Of course we tend to play to our opponents level.
        I hope we put that to rest this year.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
          Searching around a little bit, found a post on ELF about it (one of yours actually ) and a box score that looks like it confirms. 3/1/02.

http://collegehockeystats.net/0102/boxes/mcorren1.m01

http://elf.elynah.com/read.php?1,3430,3451#msg-3451
          I forget a lot. Thanks for looking it up.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Allen York made the all-tournament team http://newsminer.com/news/2009/oct/1...sh-mvp-honors/

game article http://newsminer.com/news/2009/oct/1...goal-rush-***/

Edit: Replace the three stars in the 2nd link with the three letters t, i, and t. USCHO's naughty-word filter complained.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I thought RPI overall looked pretty good, definitely better than they looked against UAA. Might have just been some jet lag for that game. York made some really nice saves, and the defense did a good job holding off Alaska's newfound offense. At least I'm hoping that's what it was, and not that we're slipping back into our old ways

Peronally I thought the reffing was kind of bizarre the whole weekend. Missed and head-scratching calls at both ends of the ice for all four games. As far as Alaska getting the better end of it, I think that may have more to do with their playing style than home-cooking. Lets them get away with a few that probably should be called, less likely to get called on the iffy ones, and just not have as many valid penalties in the first place. Last season they were in something like the bottom 3 nationally in PIM/game, you don't get that kind of a stat just from home-cooking.

Good luck for the rest of the season!

Comment

Thanks for the insight.

Edit: Delete " few seasons" and insert "decade"...

FWIW -- I think my record is clear on my reporting of RPI taking bone-headed penalties.
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by AKJD View Post
                  ...Peronally I thought the reffing was kind of bizarre the whole weekend. Missed and head-scratching calls at both ends of the ice for all four games...Lets them get away with a few that probably should be called, less likely to get called on the iffy ones, and just not have as many valid penalties in the first place.
                  Sounds like the ECAC officials made the trip to AK...
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    Allen York made the all-tournament team http://newsminer.com/news/2009/oct/1...sh-mvp-honors/

game article http://newsminer.com/news/2009/oct/1...goal-rush-***/

Edit: Replace the three stars in the 2nd link with the three letters t, i, and t. USCHO's naughty-word filter complained.
                    The article incorrectly states that is York is a junior. Interestingly, AF is now 13-13 on the PK in the early going this season

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      I would have, but Bear Trapp graduated last year.
                      I won't miss him... His GWG in OT added one or two nails to Fridge's coffin.

Comment

Originally posted by blocker View Post
                        ...(Umass is always a good team when they play an ECAC team.)...
                        "
                        See also: "Ice cream always tastes good on a hot day."

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                          Edit: Delete " few seasons" and insert "decade"...
                          I was too tired last night to go back 10 years. I saw enough evidence going back the past 3 seasons....

Comment

This link to video highlights of the UA_ game was posted on the tourney thread http://www.youtube.com/user/salchaboy#p/a/0/nH3ZhxlmQCk. Two thirds of it is on the shootout.

I think that someone posted that it looked like the UA_ goalie's glove with the puck went over the goal line on Helfrich's shootout shot. It doesn't look like it to me.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                              See also: "Ice cream always tastes good on a hot day."
                              I had ice cream on Saturday. It still tasted good despite the unseasonably low temperature, high winds, and soaking rain. That doesn't contradict your statement, but it had to be said.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                This link to video highlights of the UA_ game was posted on the tourney thread http://www.youtube.com/user/salchaboy#p/a/0/nH3ZhxlmQCk. Two thirds of it is on the shootout.

I think that someone posted that it looked like the UA_ goalie's glove with the puck went over the goal line on Helfrich's shootout shot. It doesn't look like it to me.
                                I dont see that either. On the winning shootout goal though it did look like York let the kid stick handle in too deeply into the crease without poke checking him. But I'm not a goalie so what do I know
                                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                                X