Harvard Crimson Women 09-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson Women 09-10

Good display for Harvard at today's game between Team USA and the ECAC All-Stars.

First Period - Scoring: 1, USA, Ruggiero (Chu), :21; 2, USA, Knight (unassisted), 4:56; 3, USA Cahow (J. Lamoureux), 4:56. Penalties: ECAC, Ketchum (tripping), 19:09.

Second Period - Scoring: 4, USA, J. Lamoureux (Lawler, Bellamy), 2:38; 5, USA, Cahow (Weiland, Chu), 9:13; 6, ECAC, Ketchum (Bassett), 9:13; 7, ECAC, McDonald (Buesser), 16:51; 8, USA, Darwitz (Knight, Stack), 19:50. Penalties: None.

Third Period - Scoring: 9, USA, Darwitz (Chesson), 12:40; 10, USA, J. Lamoureux (Knight), 13:00. Penalties: None.

8 points from current Harvard players and alumnae:
    Ruggiero 1 G
    Cahow 2 G
    Chu 2 A
    McDonald 1 G
    Bassett 1 A
    Buesser 1 A

Meanwhile, Canada's U-22 team has their first game of the MLP Cup on Tuesday vs. the Swiss. Will keep an eye on them to see how Kessler does.
    Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
    Go Crimson!

Comment

Also, On the Blog- Christina Kessler's historic two shutouts versus the Minnesota Golden Gophers named one of the top 5 Harvard athletic performances of the semester.
      Go Crimson!

Comment

Kessler gave up 1 goal on 12 shots as Canada wins their first MLP game 4-1.
        Go Crimson!

Comment

Good Luck this weekend to Laura Bellamy as she will get the starting job in net for the Crimson this weekend as Kessler is away competing with the U-22 Canadian Team.

Bellamy is a very capable Goalie from Minnesota, one very highly acclaimed Goalie from that state.
          "Keep your head up, and your stick on the ice."

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
            Kessler gave up 1 goal on 12 shots as Canada wins their first MLP game 4-1.
            Kessler gave up 3 goals on 24 shots in her second game for Canada, as they beat Sweden 4-3 in OT in the semifinals.
            Go Crimson!

Comment

CTV has an article on the Harvard olympians: Friends at Harvard, Enemies at the Olympics.
              Go Crimson!

Comment

MLP Cup
                Gold Medal Game - Canada 9, Switzerland 0 - The rematch of what was a one-sided round robin game turned out to be even more-so the second time around. Natalie Spooner and Jessica Wong each score two goals for the Canadians, while Jennifer Wakefield and Vicki Bendus each have a goal and two assists. Christina Kessler had 15 saves for the shutout. Dominique Slongo and Sophie Celine Anthamatten combined for 38 saves for the Swiss.
                Go Crimson!

Comment

Big weekend this weekend as the Crimson host Cornell and Colgate. Can't make it to the first game (unfortunately, I know how big it is) but hope to be there for the second (which I think makes me the student section. J-term ).

Anyway, what are the thoughts? I just read in the Frozen Eight thread that we are 6th in the pairwise (which needs to improve to be safe) and everyone there is talking about how Kessler's return will be big for Harvard. Yet their loss this weekend was 1-0, and neither Kessler or Bellamy can win games without at least a goal. They are 4 points out of second with 3 games in hand, although Cornell and SLU right now are above them and even in games in hand. There is also only 6 points separating them and Colgate for out of the playoffs and the Raiders have a game in hand. So a weekend sweep moves you closer to Cornell and away from Colgate.

Despite the league record, I'm very impressed with how this young team has come along, and how I've seen them play against some of the top teams in the country. It would be great to see them in the NCAA's and a sweep this weekend would certainly help.
                  Go Crimson!

Comment

Big weekend this weekend as the Crimson host Cornell and Colgate. Can't make it to the first game (unfortunately, I know how big it is) but hope to be there for the second (which I think makes me the student section. J-term ).

Anyway, what are the thoughts? I just read in the Frozen Eight thread that we are 6th in the pairwise (which needs to improve to be safe) and everyone there is talking about how Kessler's return will be big for Harvard. Yet their loss this weekend was 1-0, and neither Kessler or Bellamy can win games without at least a goal. They are 4 points out of second with 3 games in hand, although Cornell and SLU right now are above them and even in games in hand. There is also only 6 points separating them and Colgate for out of the playoffs and the Raiders have a game in hand. So a weekend sweep moves you closer to Cornell and away from Colgate.

Despite the league record, I'm very impressed with how this young team has come along, and how I've seen them play against some of the top teams in the country. It would be great to see them in the NCAA's and a sweep this weekend would certainly help.
                    Last weekend was a downer to be sure although Q-Pac seems to have come a long way since November. Could they be this year's RPI? We'll see. To come away with only one point won't cut it nationally.

Harvard's big problem this year has been scoring and they need to find a way to finish to take advantage of the next four games, all at the Bright Center. They tend to play better against the good teams and somewhat let down against the not so good teams.

If we were to sweep the next four, that should put us in good position for the stretch run and a shot at second or third place. A Beanpot title would also be nice especially since they are out of conference games.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                      Last weekend was a downer to be sure although Q-Pac seems to have come a long way since November. Could they be this year's RPI? We'll see. To come away with only one point won't cut it nationally.

Harvard's big problem this year has been scoring and they need to find a way to finish to take advantage of the next four games, all at the Bright Center. They tend to play better against the good teams and somewhat let down against the not so good teams.

If we were to sweep the next four, that should put us in good position for the stretch run and a shot at second or third place. A Beanpot title would also be nice especially since they are out of conference games.
                      At this point, it seems like our OOC schedule is what's keeping us in the picture for the pairwise and national rankings. Are we undefeated at the moment out of conference? (if so knock on wood) I remember we went 1-0-1 vs. Minnesota, and I remember a win vs UConn and a tie with UNH. Am I missing anything/wrong about anything? It's sometimes hard to keep track of schedules when my main focus is the men's team.
                      Go Crimson!

Comment

• A real bang-bang first five minutes

The team is looking confident and fluid both five on five and with the man advantage.

Two more periods like this one would prove they're back to form.

Anybody see whether on the C goal their player was (A) in the crease and (B) in contact with Kessler? Couldn't be sure from my line of vision....

Comment

• Too Many Players in the Crease?

Why not just a new rule that if Cornell puts three or more players in the crease at the same time, they get an automatic goal?

Comment

Well we totally gave away two points tonight. I can't believe how Cornell gets away with mugging the goalie and players in the crease. The first goal should not have counted and the last goal was tied up only the ref froze his whistle. Unreal.

That said, Kessler was not at her best tonight. She blew the second goal by mishandling the puck and seemed not to be sure of herself all night. Didn't seem her usual confident self. Perhaps a letdown from the recent tournament. Also, I thought our coaching staff really didn't do a good job in matching up against Cornell. Katey as usual shortened her bench and it cost us toward the end of the game. When will she learn that it doesn't pay to overplay certain players? They were gassed when we finally got the power plays late in the third and in OT.

This one definitely hurt. We'll need to win our next three to stay in the conversation for home ice for the ECAC first round. Otherwise, it's on the road to possibly Ithaca. Ugh.

Comment

At this point, it seems like our OOC schedule is what's keeping us in the picture for the pairwise and national rankings. Are we undefeated at the moment out of conference? (if so knock on wood) I remember we went 1-0-1 vs. Minnesota, and I remember a win vs UConn and a tie with UNH. Am I missing anything/wrong about anything? It's sometimes hard to keep track of schedules when my main focus is the men's team.
                              You're on track here. We still have a game against Providence at the end of the month at Bright and the Beanpot. That's it for out of conference and if we can win those games, we'll be in good shape provided we don't blow games like we did tonight.

Comment

Sounds like I missed a doozie, in a not good way.

Definitely a tough tie. As skate said though, it's giving away two points, as we lose one and Cornell gains one. Sounds like there's reasons to gripe with the refs, but I wasn't there and anyway, what's past is past.

How did Kessler play last year post-MLP cup? I seem to remember there was a bit of an early January let down, possibly involving a loss to Princeton at home while she was away and I'm trying to remember how Kessler looked that first series after returning from Germany, but I feel like it was similar to what skate described, only Harvard was able to pull out the win. And then obviously she turned it on starting with the Yale-Brown home series and continued through the Beanpot until RPI ended the season (and that game featured the terrible disallowed goal on Harvard when someone shot the puck off her own foot and they said she kicked it, but again, what's past is past).

Looking at the standings:
                                6. Harvard, 14 points, 6 wins, 12 games
                                5. SLU, 14 points, 6 wins, 11 games
                                4. Princeton, 17 points, 7 wins, 14 games
                                3. Quinnipiac, 17 points, 6 wins, 14 games
                                2. Cornell, 17 points, 7 wins, 11 games
                                1. Clarkson, 19 points, 9 wins, 11 games

Also conference games remaining for us:
                                Colgate H
                                Union H and A
                                RPI H and A
                                Brown H
                                Yale H
                                Dartmouth A
                                St. Lawrence A
                                Clarkson A

Not a lot of games against teams ahead of us, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it.

As for non-conference, SLU just beat BC at BC 4-0, FWIW (which I know is pretty much nothing).
                                Go Crimson!

Comment

Working...
                                X