Bowdoin's Watson Arena LEEDS Ceritified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowdoin's Watson Arena LEEDS Ceritified

The first arena in the U.S. to be LEEDS Certified.

http://www.nescac.com/sports/mice/20...WatsonA_072709
    Last edited by doncheery; 08-02-2009, 07:25 AM.
    "just another internet gangster"...PSUChamps

"you can only be as good as your coach will let you be" Ray Ferraro

Re: Bowdoin's Watson Arena LEEDS Ceritified

That's pretty cool, but the problem with LEED certified buildings are that while they do use less energy thus lowering operational costs, the current price/markup on this technology causes quite a long payback period, at times unattainable. A lot of these LEED projects are more political than cost effective.

But non-the-less a nice thing for Bowdoin.
    Wormser - Rowdy Crowd
    2008-2009 D-II/III Last Person Standing Champion
    2004-2005 D-II/III Last Person Standing Co-Champion
    2007-2008 D-II/III Last Person Standing Runner Up
    "...maybe I should be surprised about this, but then again, we are the Rowdy Crowd - everyone wants a piece. We are awesome." ~XYZ

Comment

Originally posted by Wormser-PointRC View Post
      That's pretty cool, but the problem with LEED certified buildings are that while they do use less energy thus lowering operational costs, the current price/markup on this technology causes quite a long payback period, at times unattainable. A lot of these LEED projects are more political than cost effective.

But non-the-less a nice thing for Bowdoin.
      So many existing products are getting approved for LEED credit by the USGBC, it's ridiculous. If you have a LEED AP on a project team, and the owner wants to spend the money for that AP to count credits, just about any projects can get at least LEED Silver certification without much added building expense -- especially in areas near big cities where there are a lot of material options.

It has indeed become a big political POS though, i'll agree with you there!

r

Comment

Another reason the NESCAC harpies will claim they are better than everyone else. First academics then rivalries and now the environment. World peace can only be mere moments away.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Rogers View Post
          Another reason the NESCAC harpies will claim they are better than everyone else. World peace can only be mere moments away.
          World Peace...maybe not. Defining America and its place in the world..maybe. As President Kennedy said at the opening of the Robert Frost Library at Amherst where Frost taught for 20 years

" I look forward to an America which will reward achievement in the arts as we reward achievement in business or statecraft. I look forward to an America which will steadily raise the standards of artistic accomplishment and which will steadily enlarge cultural opportunities for all of our citizens. And I look forward to an America which commands respect throughout the world not only for its strength but for its civilization as well. And I look forward to a world which will be safe not only for democracy and diversity but also for personal distinction.

Robert Frost was often skeptical about projects for human improvement, yet I do not think he would disdain this hope. As he wrote during the uncertain days of the Second War:

Take human nature altogether since time
          began . . .
          And it must be a little more in favor of
          man,
          Say a fraction of one percent at the very
          least . . .
          Our hold on this planet wouldn't have so
          increased.
          Because of Mr. Frost's life and work, because of the life and work of this college, our hold on this planet has increased."

Argue with JFK..or with at least 6 or 7 Nobels attributed to Amherst/Williams/ Bowdoin grads. With a combined total of 5000 at the three schools , per capita I think think they are doing their part and fielding decent hockey teams to boot. What more do you want. .Save the reverse elitism crap and get your head out of your ***. Rejoice in the fact that you live in a country where a town like Amherst can celebrate Extravaganga Day ( where marijuana is legal for a day in the town ) and produce high level academicians. Joyously dichotomous . Harp is indeed a fine Irish beverage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...College_people
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...College_alumni

I will save you the trouble of a reply. Cut and pasted a past post you made regarding the NESCAC. Just curious...have an axe to grind? Kid did not get accepted? You? Whatever...Go USM!!

the NESCAC is made up of some great schools, but don't make it out like they view sports like some **** t-ball league where no one keeps score. Do you sniff your own socks each night before tossing them in the hamper? Give me a break.
          Last edited by doncheery; 08-13-2009, 07:02 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=doncheery;4351063]World Peace...maybe not. Defining America and its place in the world..maybe. As President Kennedy said at the opening of the Robert Frost Library at Amherst where Frost taught for 20 years..........

I thought you retired doncheery?

"doncheery is retiring. No more posts. Thank you to all those who sent so much green and positive comments. It was fun tweaking noses and puncturing balloons. Won some lost some. Time , business constraints and the recent level of discourse no longer make this viable.
            Of all the levels of hockey that I have been associated with, Dlll is the purest and most joyous. What student athletics for the most part should be about. To the families of players, cherish this special time with your young men. To the fans and posters on the Dlll board. Passion and enthusiasm. Great.
            Good Luck and Health to all.

P.S. Good Luck to the Adrian players!
            Last edited by doncheery : 03-01-2009 at 09:41 AM.
            "
            Cardinal Women- 2-time Winners of DIII National Championship Games, 35 game undefeated streak
            Cardinal Men- 3-time Winners of DIII National Championship Games

Comment

If Theo Fleury and Claude Lemeiux can come out of retirement...would you begrudge me that? .Business is quiet, summer months.
              BTW Have been doing some genealogical research. Found a cousin you can relate to http://www.huntleys.org/B/beverly.htm
              http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index....c=1613&st=1200

The Ploesti Raid, Romania 1943 ....B-24 Liberators... "Last Flight of the Maternity Ward". Special, poignant, and horrible to read a an eyewitness account of the deaths of fine young men the same age as my son. Especially a relative. Interesting reading for an airman. Have a good day.
              Last edited by doncheery; 08-13-2009, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by doncheery View Post
                I will save you the trouble of a reply. Cut and pasted a past post you made regarding the NESCAC. Just curious...have an axe to grind? Kid did not get accepted? You? Whatever...Go USM!!
                No axe to grind at all. The NESCAC is full of quality institutions and good people and a lot of well run programs. The humor comes from the chestpuffing and ballslurping the fans of the NESCAC normally do to each other and it usually is the Middlebury and Norwich crowd which is interesting as Norwich is in a different league. The NESCAC bag toters often operate with an attitude that leans to the holier than thou side of things. They dont think they have this elitist attitude which is why its so funny. SO remember, its not the schools or teams, but the fans that are the joke and its usually norwich and midd. speaking of which where did all the midd fans go? guess they cant handle flaming out in the playoffs. so much class.

I'm sure jerrynu26 will be upon us any minute as he crawls out from under his rock to defend Middlebury

Comment

Working...
                X