• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rest in peace, Ry

http://www.lakeforest.edu/foresters/...ly282009wh.htm

Ryann McCarthy Passes Away after Battle with Cancer
    McCarthy played for the Foresters from 2006-08

LOMBARD, Ill. - Former Lake Forest College women's hockey player Ryann "Ry" McCarthy passed away Tuesday (July 28) due to complications from cancer that was diagnosed last fall.

McCarthy played for the Foresters from 2006-08 and is the program's career leader in save percentage, goals against average, and winning percentage. She recorded two of the top four single-game save totals in team history late in the 2006-07 season and ranked seventh in the nation in save percentage that year. A fierce competitor, McCarthy was forced to stop playing last year due to her illness, but she could often be seen cheering on her fellow Foresters.

"We are extremely saddened by the loss of this extraordinary young woman and important part of our campus community," began Athletic Director Jackie Slaats. "We will miss Ry’s fiery red hair, energetic personality, great sense of humor, and passionate spirit."

"As a player, Ry was one of the most competitive and talented goalies I have ever coached," began Forester head coach Carisa Zaban. "She loved hockey and it showed in her attitude and her work ethic. Outside of hockey, Ry was one of the most amazing individuals I have ever met. Her smile and laughter were infectuous and she touched many people's lives with her upbeat attitude and terrific sense of humor. I will never forget her and what she has brought to my life."

She is survived by her parents Sue and Terry McCarthy and older sister Samantha.

Condolences can be sent to the McCarthy family at 350 S. Lodge Lane, Lombard, Illinois 60148.

In lieu of flowers, Memorials to the H Foundation, Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center at Northwestern University, 60 S. LaGrange Rd., LaGrange, IL 60525, are appreciated.

A memorial service, along with several other campus iniatives, are being planned. Details will be available on the Forester Athletics Web site.
    Last edited by toots; 08-01-2009, 05:21 PM. Reason: updates

Re: rest in peace, Ry

My Deepest Sympathies to the family, friends, teammates and coaches of Ryann.

Cancer sucks and must be defeated!
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

My thoughts and prayers go out to her family.

Comment

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Ryann's family and the entire Lake Forest community.

The Govednik family
        (Chatham University)
        "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Comment

My thoughts go out to Ryann's family and the Lake Forest program. Sadly, it seems, this is happening more and more often.

RIP Ryann.

Comment

Very sad. Former teammate of a BC player. She will be missed.
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

My condolences to this young lady's family and friends. I am in admiration of Ryann and those like her who have a brief opportunity to make an impact on our world and do so beautifully.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

**** thats sad...I guess that explains why she was suddenly absent from the roster.
                UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Condolences to family, friends and teammates of Ryann.

I urge all female members of the forum to joing the Army of Women (armyofwomen.org). It's all about research. There is a constant need for women who may be willing to be part of any number of studies - survivors and women who've never had cancer.

And to all the men, forward the armyofwomen.org on to all the women you know. We never know which research study will hold any of the breakthrough keys. It's one way we can all help.

http://www.armyofwomen.org/
                  Last edited by binnyrus; 07-30-2009, 09:46 AM.

Comment

as of this morning, there are 298,895 members of the armyofwomen. Thanks, binnyrus, for encouraging us to become part of the Army. Let's see if we can't get that website cranking with new members by referencing USCHO as the "blog" where you heard about it (you'll see that option when you sign up)

"you are indicating your interest in learning about active research studies in need of volunteers."

Ryann's funeral is this morning (Friday) at 10am. Please remember her parents and family & teammates.
                    Last edited by toots; 07-31-2009, 07:37 AM.

Comment

A wise man once said that you never know how many lives you touch until your funeral. Judging by the standing room only space at the church yesterday morning and the 1.5 mile long funeral procession to the cemetery, Ry you touched many lives in your short time with us. May you rest in peace my friend.

Comment

I know this thread is about Ry and I don't want to take away from her memory or anything.

A recent UW-Superior star was just diagnosed with Leukemia last week. Seems like it might be in advanced stages. I don't want to put a name out there.
                        UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                        NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                        Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by THE Icemom View Post
                          Our thoughts and prayers go out to Ryann's family and the entire Lake Forest community.

The Govednik family
                          (Chatham University)
                          yes, Sorry so late.
                          Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Working...
                          X