Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine offseason part II...Countdown to slightly above the Mendoza line.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine offseason part II...Countdown to slightly above the Mendoza line.

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
    TIMMAY's last season will be butt fugly........you heard it here first!
    Timmay wins enough to stay, you heard it here first
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

2011 recruits, maybe anyway

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/116056.html

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        Timmay wins enough to stay, you heard it here first
        I'm afraid you're right. He has a 2 year window and nothing is going to happen unless the team totaly collapses this year. They'll win 17-18 games this year. That'll be enough for him to stay.

Comment

Who will not be satisfied with a 17 or 18 win season?

Of course, we can expect commentary/whining that the team beat lousy teams and lost games it should/could have won, but 17 or 18 wins will be fine, won't it?

Now, that level of success will require pretty good goaltending, so we'll see how Darling builds on his freshman year experience and how Timmay handles the goalies. We'll witness the effect of the hand that guides the goalies.

That level of success will require continued excellence of the team's star, Gustav Nyquist. I believe him to be a self-motivated player, so we will see what level of effort he shows. The shots may or may not go in, but we should be able to tell if he is playing with his characteristic drive. If there is any noticable difference in Nyquist's effort, or that of freshman surprise Brian Flynn, it will be natural to blame the environment. Which is created by the coach.

That level of success will require good leadership. Tanner House is being tabbed to provide it. If Tanner provides impactful leadership and keeps growing into the player he was supposed to be, that will be a testament to Timmay for having nurtured Tanner back from an inauspicious and tumultuous freshman year. If not.... The same is true, to an extent, with Will O'Neill, a "son of a coach gone astray" reclamation project. If he continues on the right path and builds on a solid freshman year, kudos to Timmay. If not.... And what becomes of Kevin Swallow?

That level of success will require the growth and emergence of upperclassmen like Robby Dee and Keif Orsini, credentialed recruits that have brought little and grown only slightly in Orono. The right environment should foster continued growth and improvement; a failure to grow and improve as juniors might point to a poor environment. Which is created by the coach.

That level of success will require a spark from some of the newcomers. Joey Diamond has made a name for himself in Orono already, but we'll see if he exhibits his desire to score goals on a consistent and impactful basis and learns from his early "teachable moment." How he goes will reflect on the coach.

So, I think it will be hard to credibly whine and denigrate a 17 or 18 win season. Those of us who don't only watch our team play to see them win watch because we love to see what happens. How the 2009-10 Maine Black Bears perform will reveal a lot about the environment. Which is created by the coach.

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post

Of course, we can expect commentary/whining that the team beat lousy teams and lost games it should/could have won, but 17 or 18 wins will be fine, won't it?

Now, that level of success will require pretty good goaltending, so we'll see how Darling builds on his freshman year experience and how Timmay handles the goalies. We'll witness the effect of the hand that guides the goalies.

That level of success will require continued excellence of the team's star, Gustav Nyquist. I believe him to be a self-motivated player, so we will see what level of effort he shows. The shots may or may not go in, but we should be able to tell if he is playing with his characteristic drive. If there is any noticable difference in Nyquist's effort, or that of freshman surprise Brian Flynn, it will be natural to blame the environment. Which is created by the coach.

That level of success will require good leadership. Tanner House is being tabbed to provide it. If Tanner provides impactful leadership and keeps growing into the player he was supposed to be, that will be a testament to Timmay for having nurtured Tanner back from an inauspicious and tumultuous freshman year. If not.... The same is true, to an extent, with Will O'Neill, a "son of a coach gone astray" reclamation project. If he continues on the right path and builds on a solid freshman year, kudos to Timmay. If not.... And what becomes of Kevin Swallow?

That level of success will require the growth and emergence of upperclassmen like Robby Dee and Keif Orsini, credentialed recruits that have brought little and grown only slightly in Orono. The right environment should foster continued growth and improvement; a failure to grow and improve as juniors might point to a poor environment. Which is created by the coach.

That level of success will require a spark from some of the newcomers. Joey Diamond has made a name for himself in Orono already, but we'll see if he exhibits his desire to score goals on a consistent and impactful basis and learns from his early "teachable moment." How he goes will reflect on the coach.

So, I think it will be hard to credibly whine and denigrate a 17 or 18 win season. Those of us who don't only watch our team play to see them win watch because we love to see what happens. How the 2009-10 Maine Black Bears perform will reveal a lot about the environment. Which is created by the coach.
            17 wins won't get them to the NCAA's and they probably won't make it to the Gahdin either. So no it won't satisfy me or alot of others. But, if some of those 17 w's come against BC, BU & UHN then I'll be a little happier. Not satisfied.

Comment

I won't be satsified, neither will many long time fans. Tim might if he keeps his job.
              Wilson was the best goalie at the end of last season. Lets see if he gets a chance to compete
              I'm not worried about Nyquist, he's a special player

House is a good choice to lead. Swallow may not break into the starting lineup

Orsini was asked to leave the program

Diamond is going to drive Tim nuts

Comment

I missed that about Orsini, who I've followed for several years. Troubled story. Not saved by Timmay. Still, an illustration of my point, a player who came in with "a past" and proves the coach who thinks he can reach him wrong. Not entirely Timmay's fault, though. Still have O'Neill and now Pryor, guys with "stories." At least O'Neill seems to be on the right path. We'll see what another year under Timmay brings out in him.

Swallow was supposed to have been good enough to play for Maine.

I do not disagree with you on Diamond. He doesn't exactly sign multi-year deals.

I know you care passionately, Walrus, but no joy in 17 or 18 and no optimism at all????

Comment

I know you care passionately, Walrus, but no joy in 17 or 18 and no optimism at all????
                  I have some optimism but go to games and watch. Maybe wins would bring the enthusiam that used to be in Alfond. Now its a morque. Its all about the entertainment. Shawn knew it, Tim doesn't and never has

Comment

I missed that about Orsini, who I've followed for several years. Troubled story. Not saved by Timmay. Still, an illustration of my point, a player who came in with "a past" and proves the coach who thinks he can reach him wrong. Not entirely Timmay's fault, though. Still have O'Neill and now Pryor, guys with "stories." At least O'Neill seems to be on the right path. We'll see what another year under Timmay brings out in him.

Swallow was supposed to have been good enough to play for Maine.

I do not disagree with you on Diamond. He doesn't exactly sign multi-year deals.

No joy in 17-18 wins....this shows you how far Maine has fallen!! What Maine fan who has followed the program and is a true fan would be happy with that? That is the culture and environment Timmay has created!! A nonengaged fan base, little or no results and nobody cares. I know you think Sandy is an extremist and I am a timmay hater(well that's true) but he has shrunk the fanbase, lowered the programs expectations and will totally kill it if he stays for both seasons.
                    How much of an improvement is 17-18 from last years disaster? Not much. Anyway enjoy the little bit of summer your getting in Maine and wait for timmay to start another forgettable season as he further drags Maine into the hockey abyssas.

Comment

It would be great if you people were wrong.

Alfond is still a place I love watching hockey games. For a lost crowd, the fans still do love the Black Bears and, better than at a lot of places I've been to, the boys. I still get that feeling being in Alfond, that the fans love the boys that play for Maine.

I didn't see the Walsh era in person, that must have been unreal.

It's still a great college hockey barn and the Black Bears still represent (the shell of) a great and proud program.

Comment

We agree on that

Comment

ORSINI is not even on the team.....

Comment

The problem is not 17, 18 or 28 wins.......it is that Whitehead is still the (non) LEADER of this program. The guy is a dud.......lacking in personality, coaching ability, media savvy, marketing skills, recruiting skills.......you name it, he hasn't got it!

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                              The problem is not 17, 18 or 28 wins.......it is that Whitehead is still the (non) LEADER of this program. The guy is a dud.......lacking in personality, coaching ability, media savvy, marketing skills, recruiting skills.......you name it, he hasn't got it!
                              This is a bunch of rubbish and you know it.

I read in the story about the two recruits he said there are over 100 U.S. kids playing major junior hockey, I think that tells you pretty much all you need to know about college hockey at the moment.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                This is a bunch of rubbish and you know it.

I read in the story about the two recruits he said there are over 100 U.S. kids playing major junior hockey, I think that tells you pretty much all you need to know about college hockey at the moment.
                                I think that you defending him is rubbish.

Comment

Working...
                                X