Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine offseason part II...Countdown to slightly above the Mendoza line.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine offseason part II...Countdown to slightly above the Mendoza line.

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    I would think there is a lot of doubt.

Dave can help the team he can open the door and fill the water bottle for Darling. That's all he's good for.
    When you say Tim Whitehead, You haven't said much!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Potato in NH View Post
      Count the excuses in today's BDN article:

"Maine coach Tim Whitehead had 13 freshmen and sophomores in his lineup each night and said that explained some of the problems, including the tentative first-period play.

“Unfortunately, we’re going through a transition period here,” said Whitehead. “We have a very young team and it takes time for guys to develop chemistry and learn how to execute our systems.

“The bottom line is that the players aren’t comfortable with the systems yet,” added Whitehead. “We’ve had only five or six practices. When you aren’t sure where you’re supposed to be, you’re going to be hesitant. Once they get the systems down, we’ll have a better team than last year.”

Here is my count. Everyone's count could be different as some excuses could be lumped together:

1. 13 freshmen and sophomores in his lineup
      2. tentative first-period play
      3. going through a transition period here
      4. takes time for guys to develop chemistry
      5. learn how to execute our systems
      6. had only five or six practices

Can anyone name any coach in any sport who can come up with as many excuses as Whitehead? Has he ever said "I was out-coached" or "My game plan did not work." How can he preach responsibility to his players when he never takes any himself?
      I think Whitehead is just in self preservation mode. He's got to know that his days are numbered. Maine is the best gig he will ever have. Short of a DII coaching job, he'll be back on the pro scouting circuit, which is where he was before Maine picked him up. The bottom line is Maine will have to force him out. He won't leave on his own. Too bad. He's a nice guy, but he's in way over his head.

Comment

Originally posted by Potato in NH View Post
        How can he preach responsibility to his players when he never takes any himself?
        BINGO!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
          I think Whitehead is just in self preservation mode. He's got to know that his days are numbered. Maine is the best gig he will ever have. Short of a DII coaching job, he'll be back on the pro scouting circuit, which is where he was before Maine picked him up. The bottom line is Maine will have to force him out. He won't leave on his own. Too bad. He's a nice guy, but he's in way over his head.
          Amen to all of that! (except I'm beginning to think that he's not even a nice guy)

Funny how UMaine used to be a place that developed young coaches and then saw them move on to greener pastures after they had success in Orono. Boy, those days are LONG GONE! I hope all of those fans that wanted "lifers" at UMaine are happy now!! We have top-of-the-line coaches now in Whitehead, Cosgrove, and Woodward.

It comes down to this........bad recruiting + bad coaching = Maine Hockey.

Comment

I just wanted to post the following as a public service.

The front page of the Bangor News currently has a story with the following headline:

"Man caught without his pants in Orono"

Surprisingly, there is no Whitehead content.
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
              RPI is a much better team than Union. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is on this one.

Final regular ECAC standings sufficient?
              Having seen both teams,I'm definitely in for a buck-three-eighty.Union is a solid squad...RPI is coming off a miserable season,and just potentially solid.I expect the Dutchmen to finish many points ahead of RPI in the ECAC.No doubt about that in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBlackBears View Post
                This kid is better than anyone we have on the team and he's only 9

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,195876
                he's the son of a former swedish elite league player... get nyquist working on the old man, stat!

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                  I just wanted to post the following as a public service.

The front page of the Bangor News currently has a story with the following headline:

"Man caught without his pants in Orono"

Surprisingly, there is no Whitehead content.
                  Nor Blake James, for that matter....
                  Maine coach Red Gendron said:
                  “We’re not satisfied unless we win, that’s the bottom line. There are no moral victories. If we were to play a season for just moral victories, why even bother playing?”

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                    he's the son of a former swedish elite league player... get nyquist working on the old man, stat!
                    Nyquist doesn't have to, the kid's old man is a former Black Bear. 1988-1989.

Unless there are two Joakim Wahlstroms.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

His father did play here http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...s/bruins_blog/
                      When you say Tim Whitehead, You haven't said much!!!

Comment

nice catch... my mind is slipping and i'm only 33... of course, i was only 12 for the 88-89 season...

Comment

I knew the name sounded familiar, and wondered why nobody else had mentioned it when the clip was first posted. So I had to check out one of my Maine media guides to double check.

I don't think he had too much ice time in the year he was here.

in other news, I see WPME will be showing tomorrow night's game down here in the southern Maine area.
                          Last edited by rufus; 10-15-2009, 05:18 PM.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

in other news, I see WPME will be showing tomorrow night's game down here in the southern Maine area.
                            thanks for the heads up... i didn't know this and wouldn't have stumbled on it as i have a men's league game tomorrow night....

edit: looks like they are airing saturday night's game as well according to the guide on time warner
                            Last edited by gscott13; 10-15-2009, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Tonight is wear blue night, tomorrow is wear white night. Isn't black more appropriate for a dying program
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Tonight is wear blue night, tomorrow is wear white night. Isn't black more appropriate for a dying program
                                part of me wants to go there and give a eulogy and throw some dirt on the casket.

part of me wants to get someone to go talk to Corkum and see if he can just get the boys to play hockey, and have him talks some sense to Tim. But then I remember that Tim drove Blair, a very good defensive coach out of town and he did not have a lot of use for Grant's wisdom, so if he is not going to listen to Grant, then why would be listen to Corkum?

Comment

Working...
                                X