Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine offseason part II...Countdown to slightly above the Mendoza line.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine offseason part II...Countdown to slightly above the Mendoza line.

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
    Definitely agree.

If they finish 7th, it'll be a good year. Maybe if Purcell and Sweetland and Bishop hadn't left early...
    yeah and if the Kariyas had never graduated, and if Walsh was still alive.. im tired of Whitehead's and everyone's excuses. Maine has good players, now if only they had a good coach they would be a GOOD team

Comment

Originally posted by BearPaw View Post
      He was more than just at the game. He stood watching and taking notes at the far end.
      Scouting for Jerry, Dick and Jack?

Comment

He was more than just at the game. He stood watching and taking notes at the far end.

Darling and Sirman didn't have a lot of defense in front of them.
        ironically, their team had Dimmen and O'Neill...

Comment

Originally posted by MaineHockeyPuck View Post
          I don't think that Sirman is a goalie that Grant would have recruited.
          Really? He recruited Wilson who has pretty much sucked for three years minus a few games here and there definitely not your typical Maine goalie. You might be right Sirman could be a complete sieve, but I have a hard time coming to that conclusion after watching him in a scrimmage.

Comment

Originally posted by BishopFan12 View Post
            yeah and if the Kariyas had never graduated, and if Walsh was still alive.. im tired of Whitehead's and everyone's excuses. Maine has good players, now if only they had a good coach they would be a GOOD team
            That was the point of his eyeroll. We're all sick of it, too.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              Who knew about the 2 guys from Slovakia? Never heard them mentioned and both played today.
              Possible red shirts?

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                Scouting for Jerry, Dick and Jack?
                That was the first thing that crossed my mind. But then I doubt any of them really worry about Maine anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by BishopFan12 View Post
                  ironically, their team had Dimmen and O'Neill...
                  I didn't notice O'Neill much but Dimmen liked to pass to the white team and Pryor got schooled a few times. Cornell looked good.

Comment

That was the first thing that crossed my mind. But then I doubt any of them really worry about Maine anymore.
                    Maybe that's what he wrote down.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeypuck View Post
                      Really? He recruited Wilson who has pretty much sucked for three years minus a few games here and there definitely not your typical Maine goalie. You might be right Sirman could be a complete sieve, but I have a hard time coming to that conclusion after watching him in a scrimmage.
                      He may have been recruited by Grant, but he never had much of a chance to develop under him. Still, he looked the best tonight.

When I look at a goalie coming in, I try to look back a bit in their develoopment to see what they did for a few years. Sirmain did ok for the team he was on before last year. He put up some ok numbers, but wound up leaving for whatever reason. Last year he was on a pretty good team. They beat the teams that were below them in the regular season. When they got to the playoffs and started playing some tough competition, he did not do so well.

What I saw from his history is that he can help his team win games they should win. He struggled against teams that were as good or better. If Maine is a 4th or 5th place team then this kid may be able to win against the teams below us, but could likely give up a number of goals against the top 4 or 5 teams. We need to beat those teams to get where we want to go.

I was disappointed tonight after all the hype about the new kid. Maybe being disappointed is premature, but there anyway. Since most everyone feels we need a goalie who can help carry the team even when the team in not performing at the top of the game, I was left feeling like there's a lot of room for doubt.

Since I love Maine Hockey, I'll save my harsher opinions and hope that things will be better this year. We'll see soon enough.

Comment

He may have been recruited by Grant, but he never had much of a chance to develop under him. Still, he looked the best tonight.
                        He had two years with Grant and showed no improvement to speak of. As far as today goes he gave up two really bad goals glove side and saw quite a few less shots than Darling or Sirman.

When I look at a goalie coming in, I try to look back a bit in their develoopment to see what they did for a few years. Sirmain did ok for the team he was on before last year. He put up some ok numbers, but wound up leaving for whatever reason. Last year he was on a pretty good team. They beat the teams that were below them in the regular season. When they got to the playoffs and started playing some tough competition, he did not do so well.
                        Sirman had a .926 sv% which is very good in most leagues, but it is outstanding in the OJHL considering that is an offensive league. When they got to the playoffs he was 19-6 with a .932 and they won the OJHL title and you're saying he didn't play well? He didn't play that well in the royal bank cup after the league playoffs, but that tends to happen when you face 50+ shots a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeypuck View Post
                          He had two years with Grant and showed no improvement to speak of. As far as today goes he gave up two really bad goals glove side and saw quite a few less shots than Darling or Sirman.

Sirman had a .926 sv% which is very good in most leagues, but it is outstanding in the OJHL considering that is an offensive league. When they got to the playoffs he was 19-6 with a .932 and they won the OJHL title and you're saying he didn't play well? He didn't play that well in the royal bank cup after the league playoffs, but that tends to happen when you face 50+ shots a game.
                          I agree with you 100% with Wilson, he has looked awful from day one. I think Ray Jean was probably a better goalie than him. I think Darling is our best hope this year, up until the disaster in OT at NU he was great. Hopefully he can get back to that level this year.

I think most of the comments have been encouraging on the rest of the team. I really am optimistic about this year. I think a lot of people on here are giving the other teams in hockey east way too much credit.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I think that I saw Grant scribbling something like......"TIMMAY is toast".......

Comment

I think Wilson will be the number one goalie. !
                              If that's the case,Maine is in serious trouble.He's certainly had a few good games in his career,but he's nobody's #1 goalie at the D-1 level,from what I've seen.

Comment

I'll think you'll see Wilson and Darling playing in goal to start. Before Wilson got hurt last season he was their best goalie and somehow Darling looked great against BU in the playoffs. I think in the end if Maine is going to be successful Darling has to win the job but we'll see. Like to see them platoon for awhile, keep them competing and rested, until their is clear favorite.
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X