This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Laker Hockey 2009-10

OK, here are some more of my thoughts on the game. I was sitting in one of the corners opposite the MSU bench, so this is strictly from my perspective and not from watching the game on TV.

I didn't have any problem with the officiating. There weren't that many penalties in the game. Gysbers took a bad penalty in the offensive zone in the 1st period and that quickly cost the Lakers as MSU scored 7 seconds into their PP. MSU took a similar (but defensive) penalty in the same spot a little later but the Lakers didn't do anything with their PP. I think one of the penalties was for interference and one for tripping but they were pretty much the same. From my viewpoint I didn't see the Acton (?) penalty late in the game so can't comment on that.

I thought MSU played better in the 1st two periods and the Lakers carried the play in the 3rd. The Lakers passing game wasn't very crisp most of the night, although it did get a little better in the 3rd. This was especially true on breakouts from their own end up through center ice but they even missed some open guys in the offensive end several times. The Spartans did a better job of coming up with the puck in scrums along the boards much of the night. It wasn't so much a matter of muscling the Lakers off the puck as just being a little quicker with the stick. Again this was especially true the 1st two periods.

Ultimately the Lakers had more defensive breakdowns than did the Spartans. I know Gysbers and Kaunisto are regarded as the Lakers best defensive pairing, but I thought Kaunisto had a bad night. He was beaten badly twice in the 2nd period, the first leading directly to the the Spartans 2nd goal and the same could have happened the 2nd time except for a very good save from BMW.

BMW played great in net. He faced many more quality shots than did Palmisano. He was left out to dry on both the 2nd and 3rd MSU goals by poor defensive coverage, leaving guys open on the far side of the net. The Lakers 1st goal was similar in that the Spartans left Scrymgeour open off to the side of the MSU net. BMW might say he should have stopped the 1st Spartan goal, but it was a good hard shot from a good location a little ways in from the blue line. From my angle, I couldn't tell if it was deflected and it didn't look like he was screened, but perhaps TV would have shown differently.

The Lakers were hindered on the 3rd Spartans goal by Cowey breaking his stick deep in the defensive zone

The Lakers PP didn't produce many quality chances. As I noted, the passing wasn't all that crisp, and many of their shots from the point were too high making it difficult for the guys in front to deflect the puck.

The late penalty (1:57 left) was a killer for the Lakers. The empty net goal was a result of a poor Lakers line change. After finally getting the puck up the ice along the boards to relieve pressure, MacVoy got control of a loose puck along the boards just inside the Spartan line. Given that the Lakers were down a man and down a goal with under a minute to play, he obviously was looking for someone coming up the middle to pass to, but I think all the rest of the Lakers had peeled off to the bench for a line change, plus a man to replace BMW, and MacVoy had no support. He was outnumbered and the Spartans got control of the puck and took the puck up ice for a relatively easy empty netter. In retrospect it probably would have been better for MacVoy to dump the puck in deeper in the Spartan end and try to follow up with a forecheck, but on the other hand I would have liked to see at least one of the other Lakers head up the middle of the ice and behind him to look for a pass (like he was expecting in that type of game situation) rather than peel to the bench for a change. Maybe they were all out of gas.

The three stars: Scrymgeour and BMW were deserving. I was very surprised at Palmisano getting 1st star. You usually figure one of your guys is going to get 1st star in a home victory, but BMW played a stronger game than Palmisano. Gazley or another Spartan were more deserving than Palmisano.

Ignoring the empty netter, it was basically a one goal game. The Spartans got one other PP goal, the Lakers didn't get any. For the most part, the Lakers played the Spartans pretty even although the Spartans generated more quality scoring opportunities and shots than did the Lakers.
    Last edited by Bill; 01-09-2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
      Hopefully you'll stumble upon it someday.
      Interesting how he only stays at 1 post, isn't it?
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

[QUOTE=Truth Squad;4555194]
        Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post

Lake State has a history in letting good coaches go, not once but twice, cutting good players, and the most recent example letting good announcers go like Crawford and Francis Anzalone and picking up the cheer captain on the mic!

Maybe it is all to save money but the results speak for themselves.

The Truth Is Out There
        What other good coach, other than Frank, did they let go? (You did say coaches, plural)

What good players have they cut? Please be specific.

They didn't let either Bill C or Francis go. In the case of Bill C, it was principally an issue of a different radio station picking up the Lakers broadcasting contract and going with their own announcers. As for Francis, well he obviously moved away from the Soo with his family.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          Interesting how he only stays at 1 post, isn't it?
          Unless you include the posts that Truth Squad makes posed as NY Foghorn....

Comment

I thought Joey Shawhan went to Robert Morris as an assistant coach. He hasn't been listed on their web site and he still isn't listed.

Comment

I noticed that, he was in town when Northern was here. I thought he was scouting for RM.
              BLEED BLUE

Comment

I noticed that, he was in town when Northern was here. I thought he was scouting for RM.
                Joey is currently working for Northern Michigan.

Comment

The taunting of our benchby two of your players at the end of the game was a pretty dooshy move.
                  maize is just an arrogant shade of yellow

Comment

The Spartan goalie needs to stop pushing the net of every time he gets scared.
                    BLEED BLUE

Comment

The Spartan goalie needs to stop pushing the net of every time he gets scared.
                      No kidding ... kind of a poor way to play it ...
                      http://livingwithinsects.files.wordp.../midge-001.png

Comment

Tonight was a good night ... the Lakers finally beat their shoot-out demons ... and they beat State ... way to go boys!

Enjoyed this series immensely ... some good hockey for sure.

Comment

The Spartan goalie needs to stop pushing the net off every time he gets scared.
                          Got any proof?
                          "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
                          - Mark Twain

Comment

OMG! OMG! We actually won a shootout!

Anyways, very big and timely win. They played right up there with a great Michigan State team most of the weekend. If we can play like this the next two weekends at home, I like our chances of picking up most of the points available. I'd like to seem them get at least 8/12 points available.

Barczuk is lucky his boneheaded major penalty didn't cost us the game. Wonder if Roque will disipline him by benching him? These stupid penaltys have got to stop.
                            LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                              Barczuk is lucky his boneheaded major penalty didn't cost us the game. Wonder if Roque will disipline him by benching him? These stupid penaltys have got to stop.
                              Barczuk plays with alot of passion ... and it usually lands him in alot of penalty trouble. He kind of reminds me of Zac MacVoy a couple of years back. Barczuk needs to get it under control. He can't go costing the Lakers potential wins.

Comment

I was surprised to read that Roque felt the team did not play laker hockey and if they had,they could have won 5 or all the points this past weekend. In years gone by,Roque would have been happy playing even with a team like MI State. It is good to see Roque not the happy all the time coach he seemed to be in past years.

Cassiani and MacVoy really need to get going on putting pucks in the net. If they can start scoring,Lakers will be tough to beat.

Comment

Working...
                                X