• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Laker Hockey 2009-10

Very very well put.
    BLEED BLUE

Comment

Anyone know what Bill Selman is doing nowadays? Without Frank, we would have probably have ZERO NCAA championships. Probably the same with Comley at NMU.

I think the Lakers have a pretty good chance at the RPI tournament. They just can't let last Saturday's heartbreaker get at them.
      LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by lssualumn View Post
        Made it a hockey day Saturday. Watched Sault High tournament game at the Pullar then over to the Laker game after. It was my first Laker game this
        year and I came late but it looked like a re-run. I agree with most that the
        Laker talent has gotten better each year since Frank left. Coach Roque says
        his assistants do the recruiting and he listens to them so I give credit to
        them. What would Frank have given to have the likes of Perkovich, Schofield,
        Nehring, MacVoy, Gysbers, Cassiani, and Kaunisto, to name a few, on the same team when he came back to Laker Country. All seven of these players could end up in the AHL in the next couple of years with average Laker careers. If you look on the AHL website it appears Perkovich is a better pro than he was a college player and many said he wasn't ready to turn pro and would never succeed if he left early. He may be in the NHL by the end of the year. Is he overachieving? Are the Lakers underachieving? Blame the goaltenders, power play, upper classmen, radio guy, AD, President, whoever, but at some point if they are doing the right things inside the locker room success will occur.

I'm not beating a Frank soap box. I see the guard of Laker hockey has changed but don't discredit the past to falsely build up the present. I bring up Frank because his guidance built the Laker Hockey dynasty. Love him or hate him he put us on the map and to say he rode the Bill Selman wave would be like saying Jeff Jackson rode the Frank Anzalone wave. Right now any wave would be good.
        Again, agreed.

Please notice I clarified my Selman comment. It was merely a yank on Truth Squid's chain. No one would dispute the success the Lakers had was due primarily because of Frank and Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
          Anyone know what Bill Selman is doing nowadays? Without Frank, we would have probably have ZERO NCAA championships. Probably the same with Comley at NMU.

I think the Lakers have a pretty good chance at the RPI tournament. They just can't let last Saturday's heartbreaker get at them.
          I think he's probably retired. He went to work for Anheuser-Busch back at the start of 1983, when he left LSSU. LSSU was his last coaching job.

Comment

Selman did a good job with the St Louis University hockey team until they cancelled the program. Selman did get out totally after he left the Soo and went into the business world.

Comment

I was told by someone who knows the Perkovich family that Perkovich has really added on the bulk since he got to the pros and has made him a much tougher and stronger player.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                I was told by someone who knows the Perkovich family that Perkovich has really added on the bulk since he got to the pros and has made him a much tougher and stronger player.
                Which begs the question, "why didn't he do that at Lake State???"

Comment

Originally posted by MeridianStreet View Post
                  Which begs the question, "why didn't he do that at Lake State???"
                  Meridian. The one thing Anzalone said when he got his second chance at Lake State was how only 2 players could bench 290 pounds and he said the whole team should be benching that. I think we all have talked about conditioning and strength building and no one did that better than Anzalone it seems. Notre Dame players also said when Jackson took over, their strength building went up and how much better they became and much stronger in the third period that gave them an edge that they didn't have before.

I guess we all hope that Roque also has a good strength building program in place and the players are trying to get the most from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Squad

Poke fun all you want at the Anzalone family, people up there have made it a tradition kind of like other redneck simple minded activities. Without Frank Anzalone there would be 0 NCAA Championships.
                    Up where? Do you assume I live in the Soo?

Frank did a nice job. Jeff did a nice job. The program is still reeling from Borek's tenure. The damage he did may be incalculable. When you let a high school coach run your program for years, well, it will take years to crawl out from under the rubble.

And by the time Frank returned, the college game had passed him by. He was pretty ineffectual in his second tenure.

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                      Without Frank, we would have probably have ZERO NCAA championships. Probably the same with Comley at NMU.
                      Given the fact that NMU's program was started in 1976 and Comley coached the team until 2002, I would have to agree.
                      Embrace the hate.

Comment

Some people were pretty upset the way Frank was railroaded while here. That man made the Laker hockey program into a championship one and it must be sad for the local in the area to watch a 10th place team year after year when the program was turning around 5 years ago with Frank Anzalone at the helm.

With crowds of under 2000 for two games against a team like Alaska maybe the locals are starting to show what they think.
                        Few if any people on this forum know all the facts about Frank's dismissal five years ago, so it's pointless to say he was railroaded. That may be your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it, but short of providing explicit, incontrovertible facts supporting that position, it remains nothing more than that, you're opinion. I don't claim to know the facts. Maybe he was railroaded, maybe he wasn't. I just don't see any point making statements like that on this forum. If the facts ever come out publicly, and it may very well be that they never will, then we can judge whether he was railroaded or not.

During Franks' second stint at LSSU, he was able to re-instill some discipline and structure to the Laker program, which is something that had gone by the wayside during Scott Borek's time at LSSU. No one questions that Frank is a great coach. To say that he turned the program around his last time here is probably stretching it. He did position it for a turn around, but not enough consistent progress has been made to say it has reached that point yet.

Comment

With crowds of under 2000 for two games against a team like Alaska maybe the locals are starting to show what they think.
                          As long as the CCHA continues to schedule games right in the middle of deer season in the EUP, you're going to see small crowds. Even in the glory days it was not uncommon to have crowds of 2,500 during deer season. And add to that the fact Alaska has never been a good draw in the Soo, for whatever reason.

Comment

The Laker program was on the decline two years before Jeff left. If you ever get the chance, ask Ron Rolston why he left. If you knew Scott Borek's background, he was known as one of the premiere recruiters when he and Brian McCloskey built up Brown University and he did a good job at Colby College in DIII before coming to the Soo. Calling him a HS coach just shows your lack of knowledge or weak attempt to distort the truth. I'll give ou that he didn't gey the job done with the Lakers.

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
                              The Laker program was on the decline two years before Jeff left. If you ever get the chance, ask Ron Rolston why he left. If you knew Scott Borek's background, he was known as one of the premiere recruiters when he and Brian McCloskey built up Brown University and he did a good job at Colby College in DIII before coming to the Soo. Calling him a HS coach just shows your lack of knowledge or weak attempt to distort the truth. I'll give ou that he didn't gey the job done with the Lakers.
                              true story
                              One week after it was announced that Anzalone was coming back I talked to a Bowling Green hockey player only because I was wearing a Lake State t-shirt and he came up to me and made a comment on college hockey. We got to talking Anzalone and this Bowling Green player said straight up. Coach Anzalone is coming back to a team with almost zero talent but and this is where he said things will be different. Anzalone will put out on the ice a strong conditioned team with total discipline and the player told me that is something that the Lake State team has been lacking for a few years now.Borek seems like one hell of a nice guy and a good guy ,but I don"t think the program worked for him there.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
                                As long as the CCHA continues to schedule games right in the middle of deer season in the EUP, you're going to see small crowds. Even in the glory days it was not uncommon to have crowds of 2,500 during deer season...
                                While this is true, I hunted hard all week, hung one on the buck pole and still managed to drag myself out of the bush and in to town for both games on the weekend. I do every year, but perhaps it's just a "simple minded, redneck tradition of mine". But originally being from the EUP and all, I guess I just can't help myself, acording to squidword there...

Thoughts from the weekend: First, it was great to get Haines back in the lineup and he played a very solid game, I thought.

Great to see Nehring continue to roll. He plays hard every shift and is earning the results he's getting.

The Jeckyll & Hyde showings at both ends of the ice are really trying on a fan's emotions. They had every chance to sweep & bury their opponents both nights but didn't put them away. Offence and defence both played great at times and other times they had some big letdowns.

I think Scrymgeour is cursed with the Sim/Schwab disease of not being able to put a puck in an open goal. Get it together, man!

Barczuk is fun to watch and the more you watch him the more you like him. He's got some good talent, great hands and good vision on the ice. He hits, forechecks, backchecks, skates well and is crafty with the puck. Now if he can just quit taking some bad penalties he'd really elevate his game further.

Comment

Working...
                                X