PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the library?

jen
07-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Public or academic. To check out books, media, take a nap, use the internet, online research, whatever. Just curious.

Gonzo
07-22-2009, 08:27 PM
I really enjoy the library. CD's, Books I want to read but not buy, just browsing the aisles and seeing something I may not have thought about and winding up with a real gem of a read.
And free, to boot! :)

leswp1
07-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Go every week with my kid since he was 2 (he is now 13). Only way I can afford to keep us both in books. Hardly ever get to the stacks. Stick with the new book section downstairs- 1-2 books most weeks. L'il has slowed down but used to read up to 20 a week when he was littler.

zamboni crash-test dummy
07-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Weird... I like to go to Borders and look at books for an hour or two... but I never go to the library.

I know... I'm pathetic :o

jen
07-29-2009, 09:41 AM
I really enjoy the library. CD's, Books I want to read but not buy, just browsing the aisles and seeing something I may not have thought about and winding up with a real gem of a read.
And free, to boot! :)

I like to browse too, and find things I may not have thought about - I have lists of books I want to read, but I walk around fiction, and certain non-fiction sections (like cooking and baseball) to look at all of them.

my library recently got self-checkout and it is the BEST THING EVER.

Carter
07-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Considering I worked in libraries for thirty years, you'd think I'd use them more. I buy most of the books I read, usually at Borders, because I don't want to wait for them to become available and also for lending to friends. In the last couple of years since I retired I have started using the library network online to have books located and sent to my local town library for me. That is really a great service.

jen
07-29-2009, 09:52 AM
In the last couple of years since I retired I have started using the library network online to have books located and sent to my local town library for me. That is really a great service.

I'm a big interlibrary loan fan too - especially when it can be done completely online. I just search the county catalog for my book, pick the library I want it sent to - and get an email when it arrives. My library's not that big, but the county network is, so I can get just about anything I want. Proved very handy in grad school, too - I got stuck with a book for a paper that wasn't located ANYWHERE in the area - would've had to buy it, but one of the other UW campuses had it, and let me have it for the entire semester.

I find it hard to convince myself to spend money on books, especially when I think about how many boxes of them I gave to our last rummage sale, and how many are still in my basement, unread. :)

I didn't really use the library for leisure (as an adult) until I started library school, maybe 4-5 years ago. It's easy to forget about it, if you don't visit often.

Carter
07-29-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm a big interlibrary loan fan too - especially when it can be done completely online. I just search the county catalog for my book, pick the library I want it sent to - and get an email when it arrives. My library's not that big, but the county network is, so I can get just about anything I want. Proved very handy in grad school, too - I got stuck with a book for a paper that wasn't located ANYWHERE in the area - would've had to buy it, but one of the other UW campuses had it, and let me have it for the entire semester.

I find it hard to convince myself to spend money on books, especially when I think about how many boxes of them I gave to our last rummage sale, and how many are still in my basement, unread. :)

I didn't really use the library for leisure (as an adult) until I started library school, maybe 4-5 years ago. It's easy to forget about it, if you don't visit often.

I didn't know you went to library school. Why would I, I guess. Do you work as a librarian now, and if so, what kind of library employs you?

jen
07-29-2009, 11:20 AM
I didn't know you went to library school. Why would I, I guess. Do you work as a librarian now, and if so, what kind of library employs you?

nope, I don't work at a library. Decided to keep my current job for now and use my degree for... volunteer work. Really enjoyed all the classes, though.

jmh
07-29-2009, 11:26 AM
No, but I do use the liberry.

Considering the vast scope of the public libraries in Manhattan and Brooklyn, it's actually a bit silly that I don't use them more often, rather than buying books. I do use them on occasion though.

Jon
07-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Only if it's operated by Andy Dufresne.

Zudnic
08-04-2009, 06:01 PM
I too am a deep devotee of the online requst-and-fulfill service of the Minuteman network here in the Boston area. It's really the only government service I use with any regularity. Luckily it's one of the few they've gotten right.