Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA 09-10 Thread

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
    Because of the CBA you already know about how much a player is worth, having drafted players, and highly drafted players puts people in the seats, and college hockey does that as well. The amount of money the kid is making or the fact that he has already signed isn't going to put more fans in the seats, canadian fans know who the top prospects are in the CHL already, who's drafted, its not different then college, so again I ask why let someone go back and forth from the NHL to the CHL. you can still have draft picks play in the CHL but why not have it just like college hockey, once you sign, you are done. The CHL comes across as a semi pro league not a junior hockey league...
    Because the NCAA has rules about players being paid to play, the CHL doesn't.
    The CHL also has rules that a player can't play in the AHL if they are under 20, so if they don't stay with the NHL club, it's back to juniors they go.
    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

The NHL & CHL are in bed together. They have agreements on poaching players during the season, the NHL funnels money to the CHL, many CHL franchises are owned/managed/coached by former NHL players, the NHL network televises CHL games, ect.

The NHL views the CHL as an important lifeline to the league and many of the CHL fans are ardent NHL fans as well. The NHL also appreciates that the CHL "warehouses" players and reduces the payrolls of the NHL franchises.

Follow the money...

Comment

Moore probably only used the CC option as a chip in his overall career strategy. it is done all the time, a player tells the poorer teams in the chl that he will go to college if he is drafted by them, and tells the teams he likes to draft away. he will only go to college if a bad junior team drafts him.
        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
          The NHL & CHL are in bed together. They have agreements on poaching players during the season, the NHL funnels money to the CHL, many CHL franchises are owned/managed/coached by former NHL players, the NHL network televises CHL games, ect.

The NHL views the CHL as an important lifeline to the league and many of the CHL fans are ardent NHL fans as well. The NHL also appreciates that the CHL "warehouses" players and reduces the payrolls of the NHL franchises.

Follow the money...
          Thats interesting because i just read an article in The Hockey news about how USA hockey is going to be getting money from the NHL and the article was suggesting the the CHL also get money from the NHL as well considering they produce more of the talent for the NHL.

Personally I think the CHL is doing just fine and apparently is getting enough help from the NHL so if the NHL wants to help develop USA hockey considering most NHL franchises are in the USA makes sense to me.

I enjoy watching the CHL, i think the memorial cup is a great event and is good for the game. I just don't agree that contracted players are able to play in that league. The NHL already has the AHL and ECHL as farm system to place players.
          The Quest For 7

Comment

Canadian junior hockey has been a feeder system for the NHL since, well, since before you all became hockey fans. Certainly you've heard that the NHL was a Canadian league. Remember when there were 6 teams and Red Berenson was a pioneer for shunning major junior, going to college and then, to the amazing bewilderment of the Canadian hockey establishment, making it the NHL?

The CHL is not semi-professional hockey, as some on here have said it seems, it is professional. Ask the NCAA.

The only difference between the CHL and the USHL is the weekly stipend a player receives in the CHL, for which the NCAA rules the CHL professional and the USHL amateur. So, professionals can play with professionals and CHL players can have signed NHL contracts and even played in the NHL. That is the Canadian system.

UWBadgers14, a good reason for sending your kid to the CHL is that his future employer, the team that drafted him high enough, says they will be happier if he plays major junior instead of college and pays him to do so.
            It is never a bad thing to try to make your future employer happy, especially if they are willing to pay full fare.

To the CHL's great credit, they climbed out of the dark ages and made education a part of their program. It used to be major junior OR school. Both would be impossible when, for example, WHL teams would take 2-week trips east or west! Even the OHL has turned into a weekend league - like college and the USHL, but don't tell that to the old scouts, so a kid can attend school.

The CHL is a very different route to the NHL than college. It's a Canadian route; college hockey is an American route.

Comment

[QUOTE=grantfan;4338927] Certainly you've heard that the NHL was a Canadian league. Remember when there were 6 teams.QUOTE]

I guess that's why 4 of the original 6 were in the USA.
              If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

[QUOTE=badgerhawk;4340010]
                Originally posted by grantfan View Post
                Certainly you've heard that the NHL was a Canadian league. Remember when there were 6 teams.QUOTE]

I guess that's why 4 of the original 6 were in the USA.
                Actually the term "Original 6" is misleading. Those teams are merely the teams that played from 1942-1967.

The orininal NHL consisted of the Montreal Canadians, Ottawa Senators, Toronto St. Pats and Montreal Wanderers.

Boston did not join the league until 1924, with New York, Detroit and Chicago the following two years.

So actually Grantfan is correct by stating that it started as a Canadian League.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lunchbox;4340414]
                  Originally posted by badgerhawk View Post

Actually the term "Original 6" is misleading. Those teams are merely the teams that played from 1942-1967.

The orininal NHL consisted of the Montreal Canadians, Ottawa Senators, Toronto St. Pats and Montreal Wanderers.

Boston did not join the league until 1924, with New York, Detroit and Chicago the following two years.

So actually Grantfan is correct by stating that it started as a Canadian League.
                  I want a toronto st. pats jersey... that would be sweet. Even if its a reproduction..

http://www.icejerseys.com/item_detai...ac=4&zmap=1732

Bingo, totally wearing it for St. Patty's day....
                  Last edited by uwbadgers14; 07-27-2009, 05:39 PM.
                  The Quest For 7

Comment

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
                    I couldn't find a CC thread and i think we need an overall WCHA thread anyway but here is piece of news, Boy CC could really struggle this year after this piece of news

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...rosOverCC.html

Well he's not a John Moore, but what can you expect when you go bargain hunting at the end-of-the-year closeout:

Doug Leaverton

"Cedar Rapids RoughRiders defenseman Doug Leaverton has committed to Colorado College, the RoughRiders announced today. Leaverton will begin his college career in the fall.
                    Leaverton, 20, scored one goal and totaled four points while posting a plus/minus rating of +7 in 52 games with the RoughRiders last season. Over two seasons in Cedar Rapids, the Painesville, Ohio, native collected seven points and was a +19 while playing a total of 72 games."

The article mentions a strong potential upside. Let's hope so...

Go Tigers!

Comment

Originally posted by RogerWF View Post
                      Well he's not a John Moore, but what can you expect when you go bargain hunting at the end-of-the-year closeout:

Doug Leaverton

"Cedar Rapids RoughRiders defenseman Doug Leaverton has committed to Colorado College, the RoughRiders announced today. Leaverton will begin his college career in the fall.
                      Leaverton, 20, scored one goal and totaled four points while posting a plus/minus rating of +7 in 52 games with the RoughRiders last season. Over two seasons in Cedar Rapids, the Painesville, Ohio, native collected seven points and was a +19 while playing a total of 72 games."

The article mentions a strong potential upside. Let's hope so...

Go Tigers!

I have no idea what it looks like, but I want a RoughRiders jersey
                      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                        I have no idea what it looks like, but I want a RoughRiders jersey
                        *****http://jerseysandhockeylove.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/DSCN0607.jpg******
                        Originally posted by Mankato student
                        Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
                        "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
                        -- Peter Klein

Comment

Originally posted by ts8801 View Post
                          *****http://jerseysandhockeylove.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/DSCN0607.jpg******
                          Not nearly as suggestive as it could've been...
                          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

You could go with the Red River Rough Riders.
                            *****http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/633/301redriver15.jpg******
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                              Not nearly as suggestive as it could've been...
                              What more do you want? The horse is holding his stick...

Comment

Rough Riders Jersey

Yeah, Tech had a guy that played for them. I state that as past tense with good reason - I guess the ride at Tech was a bit rough too as he moved on to that other UP school (where he played a whopping 6 games) after one season with the Huskies. Too bad because he showed promise.

Phil Axtell - "One and Done"

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X