Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Movie (spoiler alert)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Movie (spoiler alert)

Couldn't find one of these anywhere.

Curious what others thought of the movie. I thought it was OK but was really surprised at the stuff they left out, some of which I thought was crucial to the plot. More surprised at how they changed some of the plot.

The biggest missing piece- the fight in the school at the end- how could you leave that out??????

Funniest piece- Won-won after his love potion and Romilda Vane.

Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Movie (spoiler alert)

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

Curious what others thought of the movie. I thought it was OK but was really surprised at the stuff they left out, some of which I thought was crucial to the plot. More surprised at how they changed some of the plot.

The biggest missing piece- the fight in the school at the end- how could you leave that out??????

Funniest piece- Won-won after his love potion and Romilda Vane.
    Haven't seen the movie yet, but after they left the locket out of the 5th movie it's not surprising that they left out key elements to the plot.

Comment

They've been talking about it in the movie thread.

Comment

Originally posted by The Paragon of Virtue View Post
        They've been talking about it in the movie thread.
        Sorry- I looked but it was back farther than I looked.

Comment

Sorry- I looked but it was back farther than I looked.
          Add to that, people were skirting the issues so as not to give much away.

I got annoyed with how the film removed a few things, things that I thought were key to the story. Harry wasn't shown to have an obsession with Malfoy at every turn. It just shows up twice in the film - on the train and then making accusations against Malfoy when Katie Bell gets cursed. Then, as was stated, to remove the fight in the castle at the end of the movie was huge. The fight demonstrated most adeptly the confusion into which the good guys were thrown without their iconic leader able to take the reins.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I thought if you knew the book well the deletions were irritating. If you didn't know the book some of the things they put in seemed disconnected and seemingly immaterial. My favorite line in the cave was left out too when Dumbledore says that the blood needed was primitive.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Harry wasn't shown to have an obsession with Malfoy at every turn. It just shows up twice in the film - on the train and then making accusations against Malfoy when Katie Bell gets cursed.
              It may not have shown up much, but I think what they did have was sufficient to get the point across. I certainly sensed a bit of an obsession on Harry's part.

Then, as was stated, to remove the fight in the castle at the end of the movie was huge. The fight demonstrated most adeptly the confusion into which the good guys were thrown without their iconic leader able to take the reins.
              I haven't read the book yet, but I'm rather disappointed with this.
              Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
              Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Liked the movie much more than OOTP but the changes at the end kept it from being as good as the earlier movies.

1. No battle to climax movie. Maybe they didnt want to the scene because the battle in the last book would be much bigger.

2. Ginny and Harry's first kiss. Kinda lame the way it was done it would have been better in front of Ron and everyone like the book. And nothing after that about their time together as a happy couple which considering how much build up they had about Harry's attraction to Ginny it left it hanging.

3. No Funeral - thou my quess is they are starting the 7th movie with it.

4. No Dursleys
                New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                  4. No Dursleys
                  I'd wager that you'll see the same in movie #7, which is a shame. It would be such a short bit, but start the movie off well in showing how at least Dudley's attitude towards Harry changed throughout the series.

Another thing that I would have liked to seen in this last movie - the teaching of nonverbal spells and Harry's difficulty with them. That would have lead nicely into showing Snape's conflict as Harry was chasing him off school grounds and Snape gives him some taunting advice about both the nonverbal spell work and Occlumancy in the end. It would have been great for Snape's character.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

They blew up the Weasley's house. Where are they going to have the wedding which kicks off the last book and gets them off into the woods for who knows how long?

Comment

They blew up the Weasley's house. Where are they going to have the wedding which kicks off the last book and gets them off into the woods for who knows how long?
                      I bet the whole wedding thing is cut out.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        I bet the whole wedding thing is cut out.
                        Considering they've never introduced Bill up to this piont, I'd say that's likely.
                        I didn't mind the fight not being there, I thought the point was made well enough without it,
                        It was 2:30 with what they had in there so I guess it depends on how long you want the film.
                        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Well, reading this makes it final: I'm waiting until it's out on video to see it.
                          Always a Wildcat...
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

I thought this movie was hilarious (for an HP movie). I laughed a lot. Won-won!

But, yeah, leaving out the fight scene at the end is a significant cut. Just letting the Death Eaters leave the ground with no struggle seems odd.

My friends and I were commenting after the movie about how none of us remember there being any kind of confrontation at the Burrow in the book. I understand having to cut things to make a 2.5 hour movie, but adding things? I didn't see that scene as doing much for the plot and wonder why it was added.
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G
                            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                            2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                              I thought this movie was hilarious (for an HP movie). I laughed a lot. Won-won!

But, yeah, leaving out the fight scene at the end is a significant cut. Just letting the Death Eaters leave the ground with no struggle seems odd.

My friends and I were commenting after the movie about how none of us remember there being any kind of confrontation at the Burrow in the book. I understand having to cut things to make a 2.5 hour movie, but adding things? I didn't see that scene as doing much for the plot and wonder why it was added.
                              I agree on all fronts with this. I was def. confused by that scene. And I was cracking up at the Ron and the chocolates scene.
                              Originally posted by Bakunin
                              Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Working...
                              X