Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Movie (spoiler alert)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Movie (spoiler alert)

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
    Yes but the love potion and the Lucky juice came across as making them tipsy...and hermione after they left the bar was a little sloshed.
    The love potion bit was just played that way, probably at the director's order. The lucky potion was written as a very euphoric, confident feeling. Also, I don't think Daniel Radcliffe can walk in any other fashion than as an old man; I noticed it in movie #5, and he walked that way again in this last movie. As for Hermione, well, she's 16 and in Britain. That's what they do there. (Hermione's bit was added for the movie, too. I think the director just wanted to add some more comedy to the show. IIRC, she, Ron and Harry were described as not in a good mood because of the cold and windy weather beating against their faces.)
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
      Even with dumbledore dying I found the ending very anticlimatic.

What was with all the suttle drunkeness? and not so suttle with the professor
      In the British versions of the books (read: the originals, not changed by American editors), the characters are portrayed as drinking beers. The legal drinking age in England is 16.

Comment

A quick request, I don't think anybody is going to transgress this (nor has done so so far), but...

For the sake of my participation in the thread, can you be sure to spoiler-protect any significant HP-7 spoiler info? I haven't read it yet, and I'm not planning to read it until after the 8th movie. I'd like to be able to remain and discuss the books and movies through 6.
        Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
        Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Having not only read the books, but also listened to the audio-books, I'd like to bring up a startling point.

As much as they cut out, I was quite impressed with how true some of the writing was to what characters actually said. This was the first movie I noticed it in (probably because I re-listened to the audiobook through last week), but I found myself on at least five occassions during the movie noticing that the actor was reciting a line from the book verbatim. This, I appreciated.

After the movie was over, I turned to my dad and told him "I think I might be one of the only people in the world who would prefer a five-hour movie to avoid cuts." That's the part we need to remember, these movies are already quite long by time standards. To include what the books offer, they would need to be significantly longer.

Comment

They split the last book. I wish they had split this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
              A quick request, I don't think anybody is going to transgress this (nor has done so so far), but...

For the sake of my participation in the thread, can you be sure to spoiler-protect any significant HP-7 spoiler info? I haven't read it yet, and I'm not planning to read it until after the 8th movie. I'd like to be able to remain and discuss the books and movies through 6.
              It's a cookbook!

Comment

So, in other words, you don't want us to talk about the part where Hedwig gets busted for heading an Owl Drug Smuggling Syndicate?
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  So, in other words, you don't want us to talk about the part where Hedwig gets busted for heading an Owl Drug Smuggling Syndicate?
                  ...by Crookshanks

Comment

Or the part where it turns out that Snape is really Harry's father, and the only reason he's been so hard on him was to "teach him to be a man"
                    Just so we never forget.

Originally posted by MeanEgirl to hockeybando
                    *****... *** do you think you're doing?! Getting on USCHO and making racial comments about The Darkness?! I'm not going to stand for this! He's my friend ... so the next time I see you, I'm whooping your ***!
                    Originally posted by nmupiccdiva

(insert joke about an NMU girl and insertion here)

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                      In the British versions of the books (read: the originals, not changed by American editors), the characters are portrayed as drinking beers. The legal drinking age in England is 16.
                      Oh look at Little Miss Fancy Chick who reads all the foreign books!

Are there a lot of those little (big?) changes between the UK and US versions? I assumed there would be little things like saying "Happy Christmas" rather than "Merry Christmas."
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

Are there a lot of those little (big?) changes between the UK and US versions? I assumed there would be little things like saying "Happy Christmas" rather than "Merry Christmas."
                        There's some changes (like the drinking, "Philosophers Stone" (instead of Sorcerer's Stone), etc), but nothing substantial. Info here if you have tons of free time

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

We were in Edinburgh when the last Harry came out and bought a version there and then the one here when we got home. Biggest difference I noticed is the British version is smaller and portable.

Comment

Nerd alert! Nerd alert!
                            Originally posted by mookie1995
                            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

You would think after the success of Lord of the Rings ROTK that studios would not be afraid of a 3 or more hour movie. If the story is interesting and exciting the time doesnt matter. I can watch Braveheart and never notice how long it is, but watch a crappy 90 minute movie and you find yourself keep checking your watch.

I would say the comedy in this movie was pulled off very well while the other main story lines were neglected. Only 2 pensive scenes(I knew the Gaunts would be cut) no Dursleys and only one scene with Tonks and Lupin for those that didnt read the books wouldnt know were together(as a couple) if not for one line Tonks says right before Belatrixs arrives which I cant remember the word(maybe Honey or Darling something like that).
                              New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

I have to admit this one had me looking at my watch and wondering when the good stuff was going to happen less than half way in. The thing that sort of sustained me was knowing the big fight was going to occur at the end. Anti-climactic end=Wouldn't watch it again by choice. I agree length of time is not important if the movie is really good.

Comment

Working...
                                X