2009 EMMY Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 EMMY Awards

Nominations are currently being announced for this year's EMMY Awards. The show will be held Sunday, September 20th (hopefully) at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles. I say hopefully because the date has already changed. Twice. But that's another story.

Neil Patrick Harris is set to host this year's show. That will be a treat and a major step up from that travesty of the reality TV show hosts from last year.

Yes, I will be going again. And I hope to be back here with my take on the nominations.

ETA: First surprise - Family Guy nominated for Outstanding Comedy Series.
    Last edited by Scarlet; 07-16-2009, 08:22 AM.

Re: 2009 EMMY Awards

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series:
    Jim Parsons as Sheldon Cooper
    The Big Bang Theory

Jemaine Clement as Jemaine
    Flight of the Conchords

Tony Shalhoub as Adrian Monk
    Monk

Steve Carell as Michael Scott
    The Office

Alec Baldwin as Jack Donaghy
    30 Rock

Charle Sheen as Charlie Harper
    Two and a Half Men

OK, seriously?? Tony Shalhoub AGAIN??? *sigh* If they're going to nominate a USA show, why not the guys on Psych? And Charlie Sheen is NOT FUNNY. How the heck does he keep getting nominated?? I'm sure Alec Baldwin will win. And I thinki t's cool to see the guy from Big Bang Theory there. It's not the greatest show, but I find it more humorous and better acted than anyone on Two and a Half Men.

Comment

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series:
      Bryan Cranston as Walter White
      Breaking Bad

Michael c. Hall as Dexter Morgan
      Dexter

Hugh Laurie as Dr. Gregory House
      House

Gabriel Byrne as Paul
      In Treatment

Jon Hamm as Don Draper
      Mad Men

Simon Baker as Patrick Jane
      The Mentalist

The only one here I don't agree with is Gabriel Byrne. I watched In Treatment once and was not impressed. Two stalking targets in this list - Jon Hamm and Simon Baker - weee!! I've been hearing excellent things about Breaking Bad so I'm OK with his second nomination. I was totally surprised at Cranston's win last year.

Comment

Outstaning Lead Actress in a Comedy Series:
        Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Christine
        The New Adventures of Old Christine

Christina Applegate as Samantha Newly
        Samantha Who?

Sarah Silverman as Sarah Silverman
        The Sarah Silverman Program

Tine Fey as Liz Lemon
        30 Rock

Toni Collette as Tara Gregson
        The United States of Tara

Mary-Louise Parker as Nancy Botwin
        Weeds

I loathe Sarah Silverman. I cannot understand how she was even nominated. I thought her show was more reality based. I would love to see Christina Applegate win this but as they cancelled her show, I'm thinking no. Probably Tina Fey. Or Mary-Louise Parker. Which I disagree with as I do not feel Weeds is a comedy.

Comment

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series:
          Sally Field as Nora Walker
          Brothers & Sisters

Kyra Sedgwick as Brenda Leigh Johnson
          The Closer

Glenn Close as Patty Hewes
          Damages

Mariska Hartigay as Detective Olivia Benson
          Law & Order SVU

Elisabeth Moss as Peggy Olson
          Mad Men

Holly Hunter as Grace Hanadarko
          Saving Grace

I don't feel that Sally Field or Elisabeth Moss are leads. Both do good work on their respective shows, Elisabeth Moss more than Sally Field, but they don't carry the shows. I would be surprised to see anyone other than Glenn Close take this. And I would be OK with this as she is outstanding.

Comment

Why is Parsons the lead on Big Bang Theory? I always thought of Johnny Galecki/Leonard as the lead.
            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
              Why is Parsons the lead on Big Bang Theory? I always thought of Johnny Galecki/Leonard as the lead.
              Me, too. However, Sheldon does seem to be the one to make the rules and since the guys seem to follow him...
              I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                Kyra Sedgwick as Brenda Leigh Johnson
                The Closer

I would be surprised to see anyone other than Glenn Close take this. And I would be OK with this as she is outstanding.
                Really? What about Kyra again? She is outstanding and The Closer is a great show.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series:
                  Bryan Cranston as Walter White
                  Breaking Bad

Michael c. Hall as Dexter Morgan
                  Dexter

Hugh Laurie as Dr. Gregory House
                  House

Gabriel Byrne as Paul
                  In Treatment

Jon Hamm as Don Draper
                  Mad Men

Simon Baker as Patrick Jane
                  The Mentalist

The only one here I don't agree with is Gabriel Byrne. I watched In Treatment once and was not impressed. Two stalking targets in this list - Jon Hamm and Simon Baker - weee!! I've been hearing excellent things about Breaking Bad so I'm OK with his second nomination. I was totally surprised at Cranston's win last year.
                  I hope Michael C. Hall gets it. Dexter is awesome.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Nominally Johnny Galecki may be the lead (he was the most recognizable name on the cast list before the show started in any case) but Jim Parsons is funnier.

Personally, I'm not sure why Alec Baldwin keeps getting nominated and not Tracy Morgan.
                    Cornell University Men's Hockey
                    NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                    Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

I might actually care to watch the Emmys this year because Neil Patrick Harris is Legen...wait for it, and I hope you aren't lactose intolerant because it is...DARY!

I would LOVE if Sheldon won an Emmy...that would be fantastic! The fact that the Mentalist dude got nominated but not either of the guys from Psych pretty much proves that the people who vote on the Emmy's watch absolutely no TV whatsoever
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Just because a show is on awhile doesn't mean it is award worthy, it just means people are idiots. I'm looking at you 2 1/2 Men and Old Christina.

And is there a more asinine category than reality show host. Wow, the 10 minutes you were on camera this week reaaaaaly impressed me.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

May Family Guy lose every award it is nominated for.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Jemaine Clement as Jemaine
                            Flight of the Conchords
                            Elisabeth Moss as Peggy Olson
                            Mad Men
                            Sweet. The Emmys are 1 part pandering to The Kids and 3 parts lifetime achievement for The Coots, but there are always a couple non-chalk picks.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                              Just because a show is on awhile doesn't mean it is award worthy, it just means people are idiots. I'm looking at you 2 1/2 Men and Old Christina.

And is there a more asinine category than reality show host. Wow, the 10 minutes you were on camera this week reaaaaaly impressed me.
                              Depends. Top Chef's first season had Katy Joel as its host and she was so awful and robotic that it was painful to watch her interact with the judges and the contestants (which there is quite a bit of), when they switched to Padma in the second (and all subsequent seasons), there was a noticeable difference. Is it award worthy? Not sure, the only reality tv I watch is Top Chef. But the quality of host can definitely alter the way a show is presented to the viewer.

Comment

Working...
                              X