Alabama-Huntsville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alabama-Huntsville

I understand this is a longshot...but with the CHA folding does anyone think there is a possibility that if Hustville doesn't find a league they could decide to become a division 2 program instead of folding entirely?

Re: Alabama-Huntsville

Originally posted by Mainehockeyman View Post
    I understand this is a longshot...but with the CHA folding does anyone think there is a possibility that if Hustville doesn't find a league they could decide to become a division 2 program instead of folding entirely?
    It won't happen for several reasons, the first being having a championship to play for.

Also, as hard of a time that UAH has bringing schools in for home games as a Division I, how much harder will it be when they try to schedule schools with severely limited travel budgets? When UAH took the Division II national championship in 1998 the Chargers played, I believe, four games on the road out of 30 total. The school is not going to be able to pull off something like that today.

Finally, if the school did anything with the team it would be to drop it to club level, considering that 11 of the 12 SEC schools have club programs. But even then, I believe that the community would see it for what it is (the school giving up on the program), the community would not support the team and college hockey in Huntsville would be dead after a year.

JMHO.
    UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
    2006 Time Person of the Year
    Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
    It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

They are awaiting the CCHA's answer.

And CCHA has this to consider. (As noted, they could consider joining with Bemidji State and might end up in the WCHA).
      Last edited by norm1909; 07-10-2009, 11:12 PM.
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

If I had to guess, they're going to get into the CCHA. That will put the CCHA at 11 or 12 teams, depending on the state of the Bowling Green over the next couple years. New coach or not, I'm not optimistic when it comes to BG. I have no doubt that he'll do a fine job there, but it may not be enough. That arena is not in good shape and I'm not sure they'll have the finances to fix it. It looks like they haven't touched the majority of it with so much as a quart of paint in about 20-25 years. It looks like it's still 1985 in there.
        Last edited by Hammer; 07-10-2009, 10:39 PM.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          If I had to guess, they're going to get into the CCHA. That will put the CCHA at 11 or 12 teams, depending on the state of the Bowling Green over the next couple years. New coach or not, I'm not optimistic when it comes to BG. I have no doubt that he'll do a fine job there, but it may not be enough. That arena is not in good shape and I'm not sure they'll have the finances to fix it. It looks like they haven't touched the majority of it with so much as a quart of paint in about 20-25 years. It looks like it's still 1985 in there.
          ...and, the Prez at BG is the same person that oversaw the demise of Kent State as a D1 school in the CCHA. I'd say the program is doomed.

Comment

I don't know if "doomed" is the right word, but I certainly don't like their chances.

Between going to school at Ferris and having had season tickets at Michigan for close to a decade, I've seen more than my share of CCHA hockey, and I've had the chance to experience a few CCHA arenas. I was last at BG's arena at the end of February for the Ferris-BG game. The place wasn't exactly full, but the fans that were there had no problem whatsoever making that place loud. Just get the place freshened up and get a halfway decent team in there and that arena could be an absolute pit for the opposition to come into and try to win. The place is plenty big enough, but it just reminds me of my middle school cafeteria.
            Last edited by Hammer; 07-11-2009, 04:03 PM.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
            X