Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCSU Off-season thread 2; DL's NOT DEAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SCSU Off-season thread 2; DL's NOT DEAD!

Since when is the purpose of college sports to make money?
    And how are they shoving football down your throat?
    I barely hear a thing about the football team and they certainly didn't advertise it much when Rabib was a student.
    Last edited by First Time, Long Time; 07-14-2009, 11:51 AM.
    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
      Homecoming is for football not hockey.
      Schedules don't have to coordinate.
      Yeah, but I agree with SCSU Euro, especially considering on Saturday, October 24, 2009, the Men's Football team is scheduled to play the Univeristy of Mary at 2:30 PM at Husky Stadium and the Men's Hockey team is scheduled to play UMD at 7:37 PM at the NHC.

Why didn't Kurtz schedule Homecoming for October 24th?

Comment

And how are they shoving football down your throat?
        I barely hear a thing about the football team and they certainly didn't advertise it much when Rabib was a student.
        The fact is the athletic budget at SCSU comes out of the general fund and that money being lost hurts the type of education every students recieves at SCSU. I am not saying all sports should make money, but football not only loses a ton of money, but it forces the school to have more sports than it should( title 9) that will lose even more money. The ripple effect is why football should go.

As for down our throat. within the last couple years I read they didn't have hockey at homecoming one year because they wanted homecoming to be about football. Nobody care's about Football. when are they going realize that?
        I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Has anyone ever heard of a homecoming hockey game?
          I sure haven't.
          To me, I hear homecoming, I think football.
          As for the rest of it TB, that's your opinion.
          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
          Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
            They usually try to schedule home games that weekend, but they can't always be that picky if they want to play quality teams like Miami. I am sure Miami only had certain open dates that fit in their schedule.
            Yeah, I see that side of it. If you asked me would I rather have a Homecoming game actually at home or against a team like Miami, I'd say its personally a wash, but for the good of the program, you'd have to go with playing in Miami. Just hope Kurtz then gives us Miami next year over Homecoming, but not holding my breath...

Ummm.... the NC$$, just like everything else in the world, is always about making money.

In college? No. But that's 'cause I've only gone to SCSU, where we don't do that. But high schools have Homcoming football, soccer, volleyball... whatever they have a fall game for, there's a Homecoming game. At least that's how it was in my school, but I dunno, maybe my district was unique in that aspect.
            tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

I thought the main game at homecoming was "Hide the Sausage"
              Bob is making me concerned
              I am the voice of reason

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
                I thought the main game at homecoming was "Hide the Sausage"
                That's a good one, but I don't get to live it up nearly as often as I used to, so now when I go back to Cloud for Homecoming, I prefer to play "Wait.... I did WHAT?!?" the next morning.

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

Comment

Watching D2 football (any sport for that matter) is worse than watching bowling Sunday afternoons on ESPN. I am astonished there is such a thing as D2/3 sports...waste of scholarship money, and it's not like anyone besides parents and guilty boyfriend/girlfriends watch them anyways...

Comment

I sure haven't.
                    To me, I hear homecoming, I think football.
                    As for the rest of it TB, that's your opinion.
                    Homecoming at most schools is about football. Of course at SCSU we don't like to be like everybody else. Homecoming at SCSU from what I have been told has always been about the party, not football. I started in the early 90's and it was that way. I know quite a few people who went there in the 80's and it was the same thing. From what Skeeterman has said it was the same in the 70's as well. I don't think having hockey on homecoming changes anything. The same 1,000 fans will be at the football watching them lose no matter if there is hockey or not.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by startthebus View Post
                      Watching D2 football (any sport for that matter) is worse than watching bowling Sunday afternoons on ESPN. I am astonished there is such a thing as D2/3 sports...waste of scholarship money, and it's not like anyone besides parents and guilty boyfriend/girlfriends watch them anyways...
                      At SCSU you are correct. However, in Hillbilly land North Dakota they loved D2 football. NDSU actually drew like 15k a game for D2 football.

In Bob we Trust!

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                        Ummm.... the NC$$, just like everything else in the world, is always about making money.
                        If that were true, the non-revenue sports would not exist.

In college? No. But that's 'cause I've only gone to SCSU, where we don't do that. But high schools have Homcoming football, soccer, volleyball... whatever they have a fall game for, there's a Homecoming game. At least that's how it was in my school, but I dunno, maybe my district was unique in that aspect.
                        Even in HS, there is no homecoming hockey game as it's a winter sport
                        Point is that sports wise, homecoming means football, whether it's D2 D3 or whatever level.
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Originally posted by startthebus View Post
                          Go check out a St. John's game once, it's only 10 minutes or so away.
                          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                          Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

If that were true, the non-revenue sports would not exist.
                            Two thoughts: 1) There are non-revenue sports oftentimes so the college can look better and more well-rounded, 'cause if all the big ones had was football and men's basketball, that doesn't look good. 2) What's that pesky thing between Title VIII and Title X again?

Comment

Two thoughts: 1) There are non-revenue sports oftentimes so the college can look better and more well-rounded, 'cause if all the big ones had was football and men's basketball, that doesn't look good. 2) What's that pesky thing between Title VIII and Title X again?
                              The non-revenue sports aren't just female sports.
                              I'm just saying, if the only goal was money, there'd be ways around it.
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Is "Pretend it's a popsicle" a non revenue sport?
                                Bob is making me concerned
                                I am the voice of reason

Comment

Working...
                                X