PDA

View Full Version : SCSU Off-season thread 2; DL's NOT DEAD!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

First Time, Long Time
10-03-2009, 02:03 AM
Husky D (http://www.sctimes.com/article/20091003/SPORTS04/110030026/1002/SPORTS/SCSU-men-s-hockey--Huskies--D--aims-for-better-grade)

Zabs ready (http://www.sctimes.com/article/20091002/SPORTS04/110020009/1002/SPORTS/Allenspach-column--Thoughts-collected--Zabkowicz-back-on-ice)

motox
10-03-2009, 06:02 PM
The consensus seems to be if we play well and they gel, we are top 3 hands down, no question.
A lot can happen and there is always a "question."

Based on the statement, "if they play well and gel" I do think the Huskies are top 3 hands down. Might seem cocky or arrogant to say but if every team played to their potential I think we have more talent top to bottom than any other team except maybe Denver.

Dude Love
10-03-2009, 07:36 PM
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas. :)

motox
10-03-2009, 09:36 PM
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas. :)

Exactly. I fully expect this team to finish top 3 in the league and IF they finish 4th or lower then so be it. I'd love to see a WCHA league title one of these years but ultimately they need to make the dance and win at least one game. That's the bar but I'm really hoping/expecting a Frozen Four appearance this year.

First Time, Long Time
10-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Exactly. I fully expect this team to finish top 3 in the league and IF they finish 4th or lower then so be it. I'd love to see a WCHA league title one of these years but ultimately they need to make the dance and win at least one game. That's the bar but I'm really hoping/expecting a Frozen Four appearance this year.

Only way that happens is if the defense steps up large.
I have faith in our goaltending (if it's Lee) and in our scoring, but the D is the swing point.

MSUM beats Lethbridge in OT after the 3rd strong goalie for the Mavs gives up 3 in the third.

First Time, Long Time
10-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Not a good way to start.
First practice, Eddy goes down, out at least a month.

Bad news out of the first day of practice for the SCSU men's hockey team. Freshman forward David Eddy suffered a "lower-body" injury on Friday and was unable to participate in the first official day of workouts on Saturday. He is expected to miss the first 4-6 weeks of the season, based on a preliminary diagnosis, according to Huskies coach Bob Motzko. Eddy's absence leaves the lineup for Sunday's exhibition against Lethbridge University looking like this:

Forwards

Jordy Christian-Drew LeBlanc-Mitch Ryan/Ryan Peckskamp

Jared Festler-Garrett Roe-Brian Volpei

Ben Hanowski-Aaron Marvin-Ryan Lasch

Tony Mosey-Nick Oslund-Travis Novak

Defensemen

Nic Rioux-Garrett Raboin

Sam Zabkowicz-Chris Hepp

Oliver Lauridsen-Brett Barta

Jon Ammerman

Goalies

Dan Dunn will play the first period, Mike Lee the second and Nate Hardy the third.

The only healthy scratches are senior defenseman Craig Gaudet and freshman defenseman Taylor Johnson.

In other news, Motzko said the team has engaged a volunteer goaltending coach to replace Justin Johnson, who returned to his alma mater, the University of Minnesota. The new addition is Michael Ayers, a 29-year-old former New Hampshire goalie whose career topped out with 28 games in the AHL -- most recently with Norfolk in 2006-07. A native of Higham, Mass., now in Minnesota, he was a sixth-round pick of the Chicago Blackhawks in 2000. He also played briefly in Sweden in 2007-08. Husky fans will better remember Ayers as the Wildcats goalie who stopped 35 of 37 shots to beat SCSU 5-2 in the 2003 NCAA Tournament.

ts8801
10-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Not a good way to start.
First practice, Eddy goes down, out at least a month.

:( :( Out 4-6 weeks with a lower body injury does not sound good. I would guess this means he won't be able to be conditioning waiting for his injury to heal which means even after he is ready he wont be in good hockey condition riding a bike doesn't condition you for skating.. When he can even do that

MaizeRage
10-04-2009, 01:24 AM
MSUM beats Lethbridge in OT after the 3rd strong goalie for the Mavs gives up 3 in the third.

Lethbridge is pretty bad. MSU sat their top 4 forwards and 2 D and kind of sleepwalked through the game. If St. Cloud skates their full lineup tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised if they put up at least 7 or 8 goals.

First Time, Long Time
10-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Lethbridge is pretty bad. MSU sat their top 4 forwards and 2 D and kind of sleepwalked through the game. If St. Cloud skates their full lineup tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised if they put up at least 7 or 8 goals.

With the exception of Eddy, it is the full lineup.

First Time, Long Time
10-04-2009, 02:12 AM
In advance of our first game, why not do the first Recruit Update of the year

Milan: 13 pts (5G 8A) 5PIM in 8 games for Penticton (BCHL)
Dowd: 3 points (0G 3A) +2 in 1 game for Indiana (USHL)
Oliver: 0 points 2PIM +1 in 2 games for Fargo (USHL)
Ravndalen: 0 points +1 in 1 game for Waterloo (USHL)
Benik: 5 points (2G 3A) in 2 games for Minnesota (MNJHL)
Jensen: 0 points E in 1 game for Green Bay (USHL)
Gravel: 0 points -1 in 1 game for Sioux City (USHL)

HS
Benik: St. Francis
Prochno: Minnetonka
Prochno: 4 points (1G 3A) in 10 games for Team Southwest (Elite League)

waterlover
10-04-2009, 02:20 AM

I'm expecting double digit goals in favor of the Huskies.

startthebus
10-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Mosey is still D1??

Husky4Life
10-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Well I guess it is time to start posting again since the season is starting today. Can't stand all the off season nonsense bull ****.

Anyway to watch the game over the Internet today?

First Time, Long Time
10-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Lisenting to the radio, it's a high ankle sprain for Eddy, but it was so bad that when it happened, he thought he'd shattered his ankle.

Choirboy
10-04-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm expecting double digit goals in favor of the Huskies.

I don't see that happening.

3-3 with 11:30 to go. Hanowski looks like the real deal!

First Time, Long Time
10-04-2009, 08:28 PM
4-3 Final

First period scoring:
1. SCSU -- Ben Hanowski (Sam Zabkowicz, Tony Mosey) 2:29 (pp). Mosey passed out of the right corner to Zabkowicz, who evaded a Lethbridge defender at the blue line and fired a shot. Hanowski deflected the puck into the lower left corner.
2. SCSU -- Brian Volpei (Ryan Peckskamp, Nick Oslund) 3:11. Peckskamp passed to Volpei for a breakaway, and he shoved a shot five-hole from in front of the crease.
3. L -- Jason Roberts (Dustin Davenport, Logan Lavorato) 5:10 (pp). Roberts whipped a shot through traffic from the left circle over goalie Dan Dunn's right shoulder.

Second period scoring:
4. L -- Adam Chorneyko (Dustin Moore) 14:16. Nic Rioux flubbed a pass in front of his own net and Moore got control of the puck. He passed back to Chorneyko, at the left of the net, and he slid a shot under Lee.

Third period scoring:
5. SCSU -- Hanowski (Ryan Lasch, Raboin) 1:10 (pp). Lasch passed from along the goal line to the left of the cage for Hanowski, at the far post. He deflected a shot up and under the crossbar.
6. L -- Chorneyko (unassisted) 8:18. Chorneyko skated up the right wing and zipped a shot between the pads of goalie Nate Hardy.
7. SCSU -- Volpei (Nic Rioux, Garrett Roe) 13:41. Rioux's shot caromed off the end boards to Volpei, who fired it in from in front.

scsutommyboy
10-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Decided to sell my tickets tonight and I am glad I did. Sounded like a sloppy game. I guess that should be expected when they really didn't start practice until thursday of this week because they saved some two hour sessions the NCAA gives them.

jazzam
10-04-2009, 10:19 PM
It was sloppy, I'll try and not be too critical because of how little practice they have had but lots of bad stick handling tonight.

Hano looked good, Roe found the pipes a few times tonight on some quick snap shots. Novak was fast as ever. Players were not really on the same page with each other in regards to passing. More practice will help this group, I hope they are ready for Miami next weekend.

Also Lauridsen looked better handling the puck and Rioux looked real rusty with the puck he caused the second goal for Lethbridge.

BTW, though passes were not "tape to tape" for the most part tonight, I did think Festler and Hano had some nice passing on one of the last power plays together.

andrewj063
10-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Sounds like Hano is absolutely fantastic out there! Glad I got to see him play for LF once.

I heard there was no energy in the rink and the boys played sloppy tonight. Can't wait to get back up for the Union series!!

First Time, Long Time
10-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Of course it was sloppy, that's to be expected with one day of practice vs a team playing it's 8th game of the season already.
In an exhibition, all that matters is no one gets hurt.