Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCSU Off-season thread 2; DL's NOT DEAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCSU Off-season thread 2; DL's NOT DEAD!

A little off topic, but I noticed Jase Weslosky is off the roster? I have searched high and low and every profile he has says he's finishing his senior year off at SCSU 2009-2010. The bio he has on the Islanders / Sound Tigers is from 2006. WHERE DID HE GO?
    SCSU Inconsistency......keeps 'em guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by startthebus View Post
      Off topic, but would you guys agree that when it comes to the NCAA Tourney, WCHA teams might be at a disadvantage from beating each other up all year, where as out east the competition isn't as tough, and the top teams glide through their conference schedules and come into the tourney at full strength..?
      Yes and no. I think that in certain situations, it has to have helped in some situations, getting you prepared for the grind of the tourney by playing such tough competition week in and week out. However, I'm sure there are times where its hurt teams, especially teams that play a lot of minutes in the WCHA tournament (going to the 3rd game in the first round, playing a lot of OTs or getting stuck in the extra Thursday night game). I think everyone thinks about the results of the NCAA tourney as too much of a finality.... if UW beats BC one year, everyone assumes that means that UW was the better overall team, and that it helps prove that the WCHA was better than Hockey East. In reality, it means that UW was better than BC for 60 minutes on a given night.

Originally posted by HuskiesFTW View Post
      A little off topic, but I noticed Jase Weslosky is off the roster? I have searched high and low and every profile he has says he's finishing his senior year off at SCSU 2009-2010. The bio he has on the Islanders / Sound Tigers is from 2006. WHERE DID HE GO?
      http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...loudState.html

It was a pretty big story, and on the USCHO main page.
      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
        Yes and no. I think that in certain situations, it has to have helped in some situations, getting you prepared for the grind of the tourney by playing such tough competition week in and week out. However, I'm sure there are times where its hurt teams, especially teams that play a lot of minutes in the WCHA tournament (going to the 3rd game in the first round, playing a lot of OTs or getting stuck in the extra Thursday night game). I think everyone thinks about the results of the NCAA tourney as too much of a finality.... if UW beats BC one year, everyone assumes that means that UW was the better overall team, and that it helps prove that the WCHA was better than Hockey East. In reality, it means that UW was better than BC for 60 minutes on a given night.

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...loudState.html

It was a pretty big story, and on the USCHO main page.

Playing in a tough conference makes a much bigger difference. When WCHA teams were winning National titles the conference was extremely competitive. The last couple years the talent has been down and the league hasn't been as strong and it has showed with poor performances in the NCAA tourny. Last season Hockey east was by far the best conference and they had two in the Frozen Four and the Champion came from that conference.

So I think its inaccurate to say the talent out east isnt as good, because it has been better, IMO, the last two years. But I think it is safe to say that playing in the best conference and tough opponents night in and night out only helps you come tournament time.
        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
          Playing in a tough conference makes a much bigger difference. When WCHA teams were winning National titles the conference was extremely competitive. The last couple years the talent has been down and the league hasn't been as strong and it has showed with poor performances in the NCAA tourny. Last season Hockey east was by far the best conference and they had two in the Frozen Four and the Champion came from that conference.

So I think its inaccurate to say the talent out east isnt as good, because it has been better, IMO, the last two years. But I think it is safe to say that playing in the best conference and tough opponents night in and night out only helps you come tournament time.
          Opening weekend is going to be big for the huskies. You guys are the only good non conference team they play. For pairwise reasons they need at least a split to get off on the right foot.

It looks like your squad has most of your guys back form last year. I am hoping you show a little rust and the Huskies can steal one. This team has not been good on the road lately...
          I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
            This team has not been good on the road lately...
            Yeah, and playing on a smaller sheet of ice isn't gonna help either.

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

Comment

New year, new team, we don't know what the problems are going to be.
              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                Exactly. That is why it is important to have a good start and get a positive feeling flowing right away this year.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                  Yeah.... 'cause struggling on an NHL size sheet isn't an issue that the team has had year in and year out for a while now

Comment

Need some help from the older guys and gals:

Somebody started up a thread where you go through and come up with your school's best all-time team by number, so in other words you get one player from each typical hockey number 1-35. Problem is, I only started following the team in Fall of 2001, and the stats I can find only go a year ahead of that. I know that SCSU's had a lot of greats I've never seen play for SCSU, like Saterdalen, Matt Cullen, Paradise, Mark Parrish, Leitza, etc., but I have no idea of their jersey numbers. Was hoping maybe we could do a group effort on this list. Here's what I've got so far:

1- Meyer
                    3- G. Parrish
                    5- Eastman
                    6- Borer
                    7- Raboin (over J. Cullen)
                    8- Arnason
                    9- Sampair
                    10- Hendricks
                    12- Malone
                    13- Dicasmirro
                    16- LaMere
                    17- Gordon
                    19- Lasch (over Motzko)
                    22- Pudlick
                    23- Jensen
                    25- C-unti
                    27- Fletcher
                    30- Weasler
                    33- Hartigan

If anyone could help me out with either better candidates than I have, or filling in some of the holes (right if I filled in all the numbers, guys like Jason Montgomery and Mike Doyle would be making my all-time team ) it would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Need some help from the older guys and gals:

Somebody started up a thread where you go through and come up with your school's best all-time team by number, so in other words you get one player from each typical hockey number 1-35. Problem is, I only started following the team in Fall of 2001, and the stats I can find only go a year ahead of that. I know that SCSU's had a lot of greats I've never seen play for SCSU, like Saterdalen, Matt Cullen, Paradise, Mark Parrish, Leitza, etc., but I have no idea of their jersey numbers. Was hoping maybe we could do a group effort on this list. Here's what I've got so far:

1- Meyer
                      3- G. Parrish
                      5- Eastman
                      6- Borer
                      7- Raboin (over J. Cullen)
                      8- Arnason
                      9- Sampair
                      10- Hendricks
                      12- Malone
                      13- Dicasmirro
                      16- LaMere
                      17- Gordon
                      19- Lasch (over Motzko)
                      22- Pudlick
                      23- Jensen
                      25- C-unti
                      27- Fletcher
                      30- Weasler
                      33- Hartigan

If anyone could help me out with either better candidates than I have, or filling in some of the holes (right if I filled in all the numbers, guys like Jason Montgomery and Mike Doyle would be making my all-time team ) it would be greatly appreciated.
                      I think Matt Cullen was 11 and Parrish was 21. Tony gruba, George Awada, Dave Paradise and fred Knipscheer were some of my favorite players all time, but I don't remember their numbers.

edit: how about Jeff Finger and Duvie Wescott.
                      Last edited by scsutommyboy; 09-07-2009, 03:47 PM.

In Bob we Trust!

Comment

• What, no Tim Hanus?

Comment

Yeah.... 'cause struggling on an NHL size sheet isn't an issue that the team has had year in and year out for a while now
                          Still doesn't mean it will be this year, one piece different can mean the world (look at our PP without Nodl for proof)

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                          I think Matt Cullen was 11 and Parrish was 21. Tony gruba, George Awada, Dave Paradise and fred Knipscheer were some of my favorite players all time, but I don't remember there numbers.

edit: how about Jeff Finger and Duvie Wescott.
                          Cullen wore #9.
                          I'd add
                          Hedican for 24
                          Hartigan #3 (he wore 33 just one year)
                          Hanus #21
                          Saterdalen #14
                          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            What, no Tim Hanus?
                            He was done before I showed up.

In Bob we Trust!

Comment

So we should go in with massively lowered expectations and just expect Miami to sweep us since it's on an NHL rink? It's a brilliant plan. Afterward, we can make excuses about how the team never does well on NHL rinks and write the series off as a fluke.

Comment

The Roster stuff:

Mark Parrish was also #21. Jeff Finger was #6 and then #8 when Tyler Aranson went to #39.

#47 was Bobby Goepert. Lenny Esau was #5. Both should be on the All-Number team! Fred Knipscheer was #25, I believe. Sandy Gasseau wore #44.

Gruba was another #13. Marc Gagnon wore #15.

Goaltender Craig Shermoen proudly wore #29.

While Joe Jensen deserves the #23 spot, one of my all time favorites wore that number--one of the toughest, hardest-hitting Huskies of all time, Jason Stewart.
                                Last edited by The Boomer; 09-07-2009, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X