Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCSU Off-season thread 2; DL's NOT DEAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCSU Off-season thread 2; DL's NOT DEAD!

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    Weslosky "fixed" it twice before.
    My guess is Motzko had a hand in this, third strike, you're done.
    He screws up three times? Again, Carman had the smarts to fix it once and be done.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Carman had the balls to fix the problem at the school he was at. That takes more guts than throwing in the towel.
      Im not sure Mike Carman should be the benchmark for guts in college sports. Any of these incidents, academic or legal, regardless of the team they play for, puts another mark on ALL college sports. It reinforces the stereotype of the 'Dumb Jock' to the outside world and increases the public disdain for student athletes (or pro athletes). These players need to realize that, although they have worked their whole lives for the sport, the have gotten an opportunity not afforded to the majority. They become role models and figures in the community, and poster-people for their university. How they conduct themselves on and off the ice reflects directly on themselves and their institution.

The coaches and admins need to be pounding into the student athlete that 'student' is just as important as 'athlete' when they choose to attend a school. I am not naive, I know how sports work. But the emphasis on the education piece of the deal cannot be overlooked. After all, with the percentage of players able to go to the next level, that education will be the livelihood for most college athletes.

That being said, good luck Jase. Hit the books. And turn the bus around.

stev

Comment

He screws up three times? Again, Carman had the smarts to fix it once and be done.
        And Weslosky is now gone and they're probably a better team for it.
        What's your point?
        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Well I got this email from the school yesterday that might explain why Jase won't be coming back this year.

As the new academic year starts, you need to be aware of new standards of satisfactory academic progress applicable to all students, undergraduate and graduate, that become effective in Fall 2009. These standards determine whether you remain in academic good standing, are placed on probation, or are suspended from the university.

Key features include:

**For undergraduates, the minimum grade point average (GPA) earned at SCSU to remain in academic good standing has been raised to:

1.75 for students who have attempted 1-44 credits at SCSU or elsewhere

2.00 for students who have attempted 45 or more credits at SCSU or elsewhere

**All students must complete at least 66.67 percent of attempted credits to remain in academic good standing.

**All students may be placed on probation or suspended from the university for not meeting either the minimum GPA or credit completion rate.
          Originally posted by Mankato student
          Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
          "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
          -- Peter Klein

Comment

Weslosky never had to sit out until now, so the situation was different. It's obvious Weslosky never cared about school or being a student athlete. It's to bad he never realized how good he had it. I also know there is a lot more to this story than people think. It is not just about school. I am not going to talk about on here, but this wasn't the only issue.
            I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by ts8801 View Post
              Well I got this email from the school yesterday that might explain why Jase won't be coming back this year.
              They have always had those standards, they just increased them a little. From what I understand student athletes have even higher standards than the one the school has.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

What's your point?
                Exactly. Husckeys already had too many goalies. I recall complaints last year that Jase was more interested in playing video games and hockey than academics. He's drafted and has the potential future he chose. Good riddance.

Bring on Mike Lee and his fantastic freshman season!

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                  Weslosky never had to sit out until now, so the situation was different. It's obvious Weslosky never cared about school or being a student athlete. It's to bad he never realized how good he had it. I also know there is a lot more to this story than people think. It is not just about school. I am not going to talk about on here, but this wasn't the only issue.
                  What's your point?
                  It's only massively confuzzling now because of the possible transfer to Bemidji. If he were turning pro I wouldn't even say a word. But, to be at a school and have the issue come up three times and THEN decide with one year of eligibility left to leave to sit out a year to go to Bemidji is just utterly bizarre to me.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

So I think we all thought this was originally G.P.A. which would've been harder to see coming. But it was academic progress. Don't we have people to check on the team and make sure that the student-athletes are taking the classes they're supposed to? I mean, the ground for this sounds like its been laid out for a while. I liked both Dunn and Raboin's comments, because Dunn can't say "Good riddance" because it would sound petty coming from someone who stands to get more ice time because of it, but Raboin can say what he wants, and as captain he called it out as being the crap that it is. Good for both of them.

Carman had the balls to fix the problem at the school he was at. That takes more guts than throwing in the towel.
                    Yeah, but a big difference... Carman is a skater and Weslosky is a senior goaltender who realized that if he sat out the fall, there's a more talented freshman coming in and he probably wouldn't have a starting spot left for him in the Spring.

Oh well if Lee is as good as he looks to be the team won't miss him.
                    I'm kinda surprised by this out of, well, both of you. We're not a better team with Weslosky? What if Lee gets hurt? What if Lee struggles in the WCHA his freshman year, as almost all players do at one time or another? What if it would be best to start him off with just one game a weekend for half the year (and as tb stated, that would require us to put in the "sieve" Dunn)? Fact is, Weslosky would've been arguably the most talented backup in the WCHA, and that's presuming Lee hits the ground running and ended up taking the starting role; there's always the chance that the competition would've lit a fire under Weslosky and gotten him to perform game in and game out at the level SCSU fans had hoped for. I don't think our season's over by any means, but let's be real... Weslosky on this team would've made them better, and saying you're glad he's gone is either sour grapes or you not grasping the realities of the situation.

I also know there is a lot more to this story than people think. It is not just about school. I am not going to talk about on here, but this wasn't the only issue.
                    I can't accuse you of name-dropping, so what do we call this? Inside info dropping? If you have something that's ok to say on the forum, then say it. If you've got info you're privy to but feel is inappropriate to share, then keep it and the suggestion of it to yourself.

It's only massively confuzzling now because of the possible transfer to Bemidji. If he were turning pro I wouldn't even say a word. But, to be at a school and have the issue come up three times and THEN decide with one year of eligibility left to leave to sit out a year to go to Bemidji is just utterly bizarre to me.
                    Dead-on right, couldn't have said it better myself.
                    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                      So

I can't accuse you of name-dropping, so what do we call this? Inside info dropping? If you have something that's ok to say on the forum, then say it. If you've got info you're privy to but feel is inappropriate to share, then keep it and the suggestion of it to yourself.

Dead-on right, couldn't have said it better myself.
                      e

some times you need to take the high road and not stomp on a guy when he is down. I wish Jase good luck and I hope he makes the show one day.

In Bob we Trust!

Comment

e

some times you need to take the high road and not stomp on a guy when he is down. I wish Jase good luck and I hope he makes the show one day.
                        I agree... I'm just saying I would've omitted the reference to "there was something else going on" suggestion altogether, but no biggie, as we both know, we think differently in a lot of situations.

Maybe we should discuss Tony Mosey so we can agree with each other some more.
                        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                          We're not a better team with Weslosky?
                          Not for the first half of the year.
                          What if Lee gets hurt? What if Lee struggles in the WCHA his freshman year, as almost all players do at one time or another? What if it would be best to start him off with just one game a weekend for half the year (and as tb stated, that would require us to put in the "sieve" Dunn)?
                          What if Jase was still ineligible for the second half of the year? What if Jase got hurt too? What if all our goalies were hurt? What if Lee turned pro midway through the year? What if Jase played horribly? What if Dunn bludgeoned Jase with an encyclopedia to get him to study? What if, what if, what if?

Comment

Originally posted by The Paragon of Virtue View Post
                            Not for the first half of the year.

What if Jase was still ineligible for the second half of the year? What if Jase got hurt too? What if all our goalies were hurt? What if Lee turned pro midway through the year? What if Jase played horribly? What if Dunn bludgeoned Jase with an encyclopedia to get him to study? What if, what if, what if?
                            Difference here is Euro seemed to be making the point that the Huskies aren't a better team without Weslosky. Those "what ifs" about Lee are pretty realistic and relevant. He's a freshman goalie coming in with HUGE expectations. His resume is solid and I sincerely hope he can live up to the hype as it will be great for our Huskies and the program. Assuming Lee is the starter (which seems to be the common theme) and for some unthinkable, unimaginable reason he actually struggles in his first year of college play (or does get injured) we don't have Jase to fill in and have to rely on Dunn. Your "what ifs" are, well, irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by The Paragon of Virtue View Post
                              His valid point was it's premature to assume they are without question better off with him. They in fact be better off but it's too early to say.

Good luck to SCSU either way.

Comment

I think they're better off simply because of the distraction that Weslosky caused for the past two seasons.
                                Yes I do think Lee is a more talented goaltender and you can say what-if about his start but lets face it, Weslosky wasn't exactly stellar in the 2nd half of last year either and teams seemed to figure out how to easily score on the guy (aim high)
                                As for playing Dunn, it's going to happen, heck I think we are likely going to see a rotation through November unless one of them sieves out dramatically.
                                Dunn isn't an awful goaltender he just gives up big goals at the wrong time.
                                That can change with a little mental toughness and maturity (and maybe new coaching from whoever the new goalie coach is)
                                He was 2-2-1 in the games he started, not terrible and the other two losses he took were games where Weslosky got lit up and our offense fought back but he gave up the game winner.
                                Oh well.
                                Now I'm not saying he's going to be a star but I think he should improve, especially now that he knows he's going to play.
                                But lets actually watch him and Lee play before we start in with the catastrophic what if's.
                                Lee is the best freshman goalie in the nation and should be fine (fans expectations are not putting undo pressure on the guy, unless he spends his time reading message boards) and Dunn can be a capable back-up if he puts in the work.
                                Goaltending was not a worry for me and I fully expected one of Dunn or Weslosky to not be here and my opinion wasn't going to change no matter who left.
                                Now that one has, we move on, simple as that.
                                "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                                Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                                Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                                Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                                Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X