Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your one do-over.

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post

Maybe the 1994 Beanpot, too... with Harvard upsetting BU, NU would have had a great shot at winning if we had only been able to win the OT game vs. BC.
    Anytime you beat BU in the Beanpot, it is an upset....

But, as I recall, BU was #2 and Harvard was #3 in the nation for that game. I hardly think Northeastern would have been expected to beat either team in the final.

Comment

2001 D-III national championship, RIT at home versus Plattsburgh. That's my choice for a do-over.

Powers &8^]

Comment

As much as the semifinal loss in 2004 to Denver sucked, no doubt this is the ultimate one "do-over" for tUMD hockey.

1984 National Title Game

Bowling Green's opponent for the title game was the University of Minnesota-Duluth, the top-ranked team in the country. The Falcons were ranked fourth, despite a better record by eight points over the Bulldogs. BG jumped out to an early 1-0 lead, but by the end of two periods, trailed by the score of 3-1. Less than a minute into the final period, UMD had scored again, and kept the three-goal lead through the first 12 minutes of the period, until Bowling Green pulled within 4-2.

The Falcons came alive shortly after that goal, scoring again at the 6:18 mark to pull within one, then used a little help from the "hockey gods" to pull even.

With just about two minutes left to play, Bowling Green defenseman Wayne Wilson dumped the puck around the boards, some believe the play was offsides, others more vehemently argue that icing should have been called. As UMD goalie Rick Kosti skated behind his net to play the puck, it hit a screw or a crack, or something in the boards and popped out in front of the net. Senior center John Samanski tapped it in for his 25th goal of the year, tying the score at four with 1:47 to play.

Tied after regulation, the teams played a 10 minute overtime period, then another, and another. The Bulldogs dominated play, but Kruzich came up big time and time again to keep the Falcons' title hopes alive. Finally, with just under three minutes left in the fourth overtime, after 97 minutes and 11 seconds of hockey, senior Dan Kane fed a perfect pass to sophomore Gino Cavallini, who's backhand shot beat Kosti and brought the national championship to Bowling Green.
        Absolutely devastating.
        tUMD

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
          Coincidentally, Jessiman might very well be involved in Glen Sather's one do-over as GM of the Rangers, and as an alienated Rangers fan, hiring Glen Sather might be one of my other do-overs too.
          I think there are a bunch of teams that wouldn't mind a do-over from that draft, in terms of who had a chance to draft Parise and didn't do it.

Blue Jackets, certainly (Zherdev).
          Habs, probably (Kostitsyn).
          Rangers, duh.
          Kings, maybe (Dustin Brown)
          Islanders (Nilsson)
          Sharks (Michalek is debatable, Bernier less so)
          And of course, the Oilers, for trading their pick to the Devils.

And as far as the Rangers go, my do-over is letting Jimmy Dolan anywhere near the Garden. All problems start from there.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
            Anytime you beat BU in the Beanpot, it is an upset....

But, as I recall, BU was #2 and Harvard was #3 in the nation for that game. I hardly think Northeastern would have been expected to beat either team in the final.
            I think the upset is not so much that Harvard beat BU, but that they beat them pretty handily. I remember the shots in the second period being something like 20-2 in favor of Harvard.

In terms of my recollection of which team would have worked better as an opponent, it's certainly a devil-you-know vs. devil-you-don't kind of thing. At that point, I didn't follow the national scene at all, really. I should have known that Harvard was pretty good, but it's not something that stuck with me. At any rate, NU had very little success against BU that season. The only game that was even close was the early-season game at Matthews that NU won.
            Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
            Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
              He covered the post. He just left a little too much room airing out his armpit.
              Good call. I have watched this replay literally 30 times (I love DVR). If you watch carefully, Zach's shot is actually headed more towards the goalie's midsection. It hit's the top of the goalie's right pad which causes it to deflect right into the gap between his arm and side.
              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by BU-Grad View Post
                my do-overs as a BU fan are '91 and '97 with '97 being worse because it was my freshman year in school and our only shot in the national title game during my four years there.

But since I was in the stadium for the '95 title game, and since I DON'T have to apply a do-over to 2009, I'm going to just call it even.

Thanks Zach, Matt, Nick and Colby! and to the Miami goalie for not covering the post on the first Cohen goal. you really helped us out there. thank you.
                I much more regret the 1991 NC game vs. NMU than the 1997 loss to UND, even though BU lead after one period. BU had played UND twice over Xmas at UND and were fortunate to come away with a loss and a tie that Larocque stole for them. All things considered, UND was a better team than BU. There's no way I feel that way about NMU.
                if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

As a longtime BU fan, my do over would be the 1974 NCAA SF game vs. UMTC. BU roared from behind to tie the Gophers late in the 3rd period. Even later in the period, BU went on the PP with a chance to win in regulation. Mike Polich picked up a lose puck off an errant pass at the point, sailed in on Ed Walsh and scored the gamewinner. Rueful memories!!
                  if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

All the BU fans have hit the key games.

- 1991 title game - if Amonte has two more seconds to work with, he makes a move and scores If Kevin O Sullivan's shot is an inch to the left it goes in. If McEachern's shot is an inch to the left, it crosses the goal line.

- 1997 - I didn't like Parker switching from the trap that worked so well against Michigan to a wide open strategy. Cost us big time. Drury and Kelleher both with terrible giveaways that led to goals.

- 2006 - Kevin Shaeffer (sp?) sees the 6'6" Boyle and stays behind his net. (By the way that move was pure coaching and is one of the reasons why I respect York so much. He saw that BU did the same play time and time again throught the season, gambled with the surprise move, and BC grabbed the momentum.

- Along the Travis lines, perhaps if rain was forecast the night that JP McKersie rode his bike to work, he wouldn't have gotten into the accident that essentially ended his second team All-Amercan career.
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by crazypotatoes View Post
                      Yeah, thats why other Tech fans posted in this thread with games actually involving Tech.
                      "Other" as in 1 or 2? Overwhemling. And your 'pretty sure' scenario still = d-bag.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                        As a longtime BU fan, my do over would be the 1974 NCAA SF game vs. UMTC. BU roared from behind to tie the Gophers late in the 3rd period. Even later in the period, BU went on the PP with a chance to win in regulation. Mike Polich picked up a lose puck off an errant pass at the point, sailed in on Ed Walsh and scored the gamewinner. Rueful memories!!
                        I hope a puck off the defender's butt in OT this year has eased the hurt a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          "Other" as in 1 or 2? Overwhemling. And your 'pretty sure' scenario still = d-bag.
                          There are actually quite a few that have posted in here... get your facts straight before the insults start flying.
                          Always a Wildcat...
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Poor deluded Beantown fans... Why would anyone bother using do-over on something as meaningless as a mid-season tournament?
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                              Poor deluded Beantown fans... Why would anyone bother using do-over on something as meaningless as a mid-season tournament?
                              Well played. And I agree.
                              It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                                Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                                Well played. And I agree.
                                it would only make sense for Northeastern fans, because they haven't played in that many big games and the 20-plus years without a Beanpot is starting to take on a pre-2004 Red Sox feel. that being said... for NU fans why not pick the HE semifinal this year (too many men on the ice) or loss to Cornell in the NCAAs.
                                Boston University Hockey National Champions: 1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

"We shouldn't have to beat BC for the nationals. Hell, we can do that any time." - BU legend Jack O'Callahan after winning NCAA championship

30 Beanpot titles and counting

Comment

Working...
                                X