No announcement yet.

JULY 7TH.....Let the phone calls begin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JULY 7TH.....Let the phone calls begin!

Just thought I'd get ahead start.

Re: JULY 7TH.....Let the phone calls begin!

Originally posted by BIG RED View Post
    Just thought I'd get ahead start.
    Nothing wrong with trying to get ahead!

Good luck players!

Good luck to those coaches in the immediate vicinity of Minneapolis too!
    Last edited by brookyone; 07-06-2009, 04:57 PM.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

What do you mean by let the phone calls begin?

Comment

Originally posted by beantownchica4u View Post
        What do you mean by let the phone calls begin?
        Per the NCAA recruiting calendar, July 7th is the date on which D-I women's ice hockey coaches can begin making phone calls to HS juniors.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Oh ok. Good luck all.

Comment

Is July 7th really that significant? I would think if a school was interested in a player, the player would know by now. If they don't contact you on the 7th (and they have previously) does this mean they are no longer interested? Can someone with some experience with this process shed some light on it for those of us who are confused by it all?

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird77 View Post
              Is July 7th really that significant? I would think if a school was interested in a player, the player would know by now. If they don't contact you on the 7th (and they have previously) does this mean they are no longer interested? Can someone with some experience with this process shed some light on it for those of us who are confused by it all?
              To some extent that is true, assuming said player made contact with the coaches first. Obviously there will be a large percentage of players who will be recruited by schools that they may not have/had interest in, and those coaches will want to try and sell their program to the prospective student-athlete and will do it via phone, and hopefully an in-home visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird77 View Post
                I don't think it is really that significant...it just makes continued contact easier. With rare exceptions, most of the players have been told in advance by email who is planning to call them that day (even if they have not initiated contact with that school previously). Most are asked in June what is the best number to call them at, and when. Same with home visits. Also, just because they call on July 7th does not necessarily mean the player will ultimately be offered a scholarship by every school that calls. Again, many scholarships are actually offered prior to July 7.

Conversely, I know of many cases where players were NOT contacted by a school on July 7th (or previously July 1), and ended up with offers from them in the fall. The school's interest level increased either after the player impressed in late summer or early fall tourneys and/or the top prospects committed elsewhere.

So, for those who may be disappointed not to get calls...all is not necessarily lost! Keep contact with schools you are interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                  I don't think it is really that significant...
                  In terms of this board, it is significant in that we often see news of a number of verbals soon after the "phone calls" date.

Comment

I agree with Trillium. Don't get worked up if you don't receive any phone calls or any calls from your top schools. Believe me. I only had like 2 phone calls and I ended up going to a completely different school that wasn't even in my top 10. And don't burn any bridges with any schools! It's always good to have a backup plan or safe school or however you want to call it!

Good luck to all the high school juniors (and seniors too!) looking to play in college!

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      Per the NCAA recruiting calendar, July 7th is the date on which D-I women's ice hockey coaches can begin making phone calls to HS juniors.
                      HS Juniors? Do you mean those entering their senior year in the fall? If so, I would consider them seniors now, as they have completed their junior year requirements at this point. Please clarify. Thanks.
                      There is no right way to do the wrong thing.

U19AAAA Forever!

Comment

My daughter verbally committed in mid September. She was getting calls into October from schools asking what her status was. Don't assume that all of the spots are gone early.

Comment

I always think of them as players set to begin their senior year / season...helps me keep current recruit class straight in my jumbled mind.
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GHF View Post
                            HS Juniors? Do you mean those entering their senior year in the fall?
                            Yes, those who presumably just completed their junior year in HS. While I don't disagree with how you categorize them, juniors is how the NCAA listed them.

Comment

Up here at NAHA, not a lot of talk about the Phone call day. My daughter got a few and there were no surprises, the email first to confirm the number or just a note to say we look forward to talking to you. Even got the phone call on the 7th from some Div 3 coaches.

5 minute call, just to introduce, find out if she is interested and see if she is would like to come to the school to visit.

Some parents did not know it got moved to the 7th, but like I said very little talk up here about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X