ESPNU's Hockey Coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPNU's Hockey Coverage

Just heard that comcast is adding espnu in the fall in my area (philly) how many games did they show this past season and don't they have the rights to the ECAC playoffs? How many ECAC games do they show.

I get a bunch of WCHA games on tv through the comcast sports pack with FSN's + nhl network and cstv plus the local comcast shows some games. But in the past I have not been able to watch much of the ECAC so I'm hoping that will change with espnu.

Re: ESPNU's Hockey Coverage

Good luck with that.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Good luck with that.
      You're a dick.
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
        You're a dick.

Do I or do I not speak the truth?

Do I have to mention the lacrosse debacle from this past year? The lack of hockey coverage on any ESPN (including the U, until very recently)? The fact that the only reason ESPN (and the Duece) show the Frozen Four is because that's the only way they get contracts for the "real" college sports?

It sucks, but it's still the truth.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Speak the truth? Who? What? Did you say something? I was just saying that you're a dick.
          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
            Speak the truth? Who? What? Did you say something? I was just saying that you're a dick.
            My apologies. That much is sorta true. I prefer to think of myself as a sonuvabeech, though.

Comment

Originally posted by montreal View Post
              Just heard that comcast is adding espnu in the fall in my area (philly) how many games did they show this past season and don't they have the rights to the ECAC playoffs? How many ECAC games do they show.

I get a bunch of WCHA games on tv through the comcast sports pack with FSN's + nhl network and cstv plus the local comcast shows some games. But in the past I have not been able to watch much of the ECAC so I'm hoping that will change with espnu.
              They don't broadcast hockey until the NCAA playoffs. The only reason they broadcast it then is because they buy the rights to the NCAA Championships in bulk and hockey happens to be in the bulk. Otherwise ESPN would avoid hockey altogether.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I think we got about 2 games all year. And one of them involved Bowling Green. Greeeaat advertisement for the sport (no offense to BG fans, but can't we get some big names and consistent powerhouses, please?).

They covered the ECAC semis and the final (but not the 3rd place game), and then the NCAA tournament. Don't expect anything great. It's actually pretty terrible, and the quality of the video is subpar as well (no HD available, at least not on Cox or DirecTV).

On the other hand, if you're a big fan of basketball, football, and lacrosse, you're in luck! They also replay a lot of pro and college sporting events. For instance, yesterday was ESPNUSA day (hooray for not-so-witty puns), so they played the US soccer wins over Egypt and Spain in the Confederations Cup, as well as the US-Canada rugby game from earlier that day (which was a terrible and boring game by the way; no offense whatsoever. A terrible advertisement for a sport that desperately needs some press here).
                Last edited by kdiff77; 07-05-2009, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

Do I or do I not speak the truth?

Do I have to mention the lacrosse debacle from this past year? The lack of hockey coverage on any ESPN (including the U, until very recently)? The fact that the only reason ESPN (and the Duece) show the Frozen Four is because that's the only way they get contracts for the "real" college sports?

It sucks, but it's still the truth.

Well, the lacrosse thing is due to a contractual agreement they have to finish any live event before going to the next one. A similar situation occurred a couple weeks ago, as the MLS game of the week was delayed an hour and a half so we could watch Arkansas and Virginia play one of the most boring games in the history of the College World Series (which is a huge testament to the game's boringness, because I cannot cite any game in the Series that has not been at least slightly boring). I stayed up late to watch that game, as it kicked off at 7 Seattle time and I live on the East Coast, so I was extremely angry. But, ESPN has to honor its contract.

The question is that why don't they move the games to different channels? They have about 16. I remember there was nothing going on during the hockey game that was significantly important, and don't get me started on the MLS game that I missed most of. ESPN had Sportscenter, ESPNClassic had Golf from 2008, ESPNU was showing a replay of the US-Italy Confed Cup game from the previous day (which was torture enough, as the US blew a halftime lead and lost 3-1, on 2 goals by an American-born player with dual citizenship who chose to play for Italy as a giant FU to the US), and ESPNews had the same ESPNews show it shows 20 times a day.

So, I guess the point of my nonsensical rant is that ESPN does not care about the little sports like soccer and hockey. For some reason, they have taken an interest in lacrosse, and you can bet that if the roles had been reversed that day (hockey game in 7 ots, lax game starting), they would have found room to pencil in the lax game on another network. But not for hockey or soccer. Nope, nobody cares about two of the most popular sports in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                    Well, the lacrosse thing is due to a contractual agreement they have to finish any live event before going to the next one....

...The question is that why don't they move the games to different channels?
                    Most, if not all, of us knew about the first part, and none of us know why they didn't do the second part. Welcome to wacky ESPN reasoning. (although they did do a dual channel later that night when the one game went to OT).

Comment

I recommend getting the sports package from your cable provider.
                      Last season, I got like four FSN channels, ESPNU, plus a couple more channels that are escaping me right now. Every Fri/Sat night I was watching college hockey.
                      I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

I just got Dish Network. Should have done it a long time ago (and so should any college hockey fan). ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNU, CBS College Sports, Big Ten Network, NHL Network, ESPN Classic, All the FSN and Comcast regional channels (FSN North for Gopher games, FSN Rocky Mtn for Denver games) NESN for Hockey East, plus all those (minus the U) in HD... Basically, I would have gotten EVERY GAME listed here:

http://www.collegehockeylive.com/chl/default.aspx?p=y

last year, if I had switched at this time a year ago...

Moose
                        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                        B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                        CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                        ECAC:
                        HEA: UMass
                        NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                        Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

The only ECAC game I remember was Dartmouth-Harvard in January. My "research" shows ESPNU with four more games on top of that.
                          http://www.ecachockey.com/men/broadc...ision_Schedule

And no, the B2 networks had the ECAC opening rounds while the NHL Network had the championship, and except for the latter maybe going the wrong direction, I don't see that changing.

And while I may be biased as a "competing" entity, but I didn't think the regular season ESPNU broadcasts were the greatest- the problem being they haven't seen the players on a regular basis.
                          Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                          Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                            I just got Dish Network. Should have done it a long time ago (and so should any college hockey fan). ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNU, CBS College Sports, Big Ten Network, NHL Network, ESPN Classic, All the FSN and Comcast regional channels (FSN North for Gopher games, FSN Rocky Mtn for Denver games) NESN for Hockey East, plus all those (minus the U) in HD... Basically, I would have gotten EVERY GAME listed here:

http://www.collegehockeylive.com/chl/default.aspx?p=y

last year, if I had switched at this time a year ago...

Moose

Got the same here, love it...many a weekend night was spent with college hockey on the tube and the kid's games on b2...

Comment

ESPNU has a broadcast deal with Hockey East. They broadcasted in the earlier part of the season before NESN started doing broadcasts.

Comment

Working...
                              X