X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 77: Arcade Games of the Reagan 80s

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Good Morning Lodge.

I just looked at my calendar for the rest of the year and realized that I'll be travelling or in training for more than half of the remaining weeks this year.
    I looked at my calendar yesterday and realized I have to come up with 12 more vacation days before the end of the year (we have a rollover limit). I've already scheduled Thanksgiving and Labor Day. So the only major holiday left is Christmas.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      Good Morning Lodge.

I just looked at my calendar for the rest of the year and realized that I'll be travelling or in training for more than half of the remaining weeks this year.
      Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
      I looked at my calendar yesterday and realized I have to come up with 12 more vacation days before the end of the year (we have a rollover limit). I've already scheduled Thanksgiving and Labor Day. So the only major holiday left is Christmas.
      I can't believe the year is so far along that we're having these discussions!

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
        That's not the only thing about her that's sweet.
        her new hair coloring??
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I have 29 days of time off which I have to take before the end of the year.
          sigpic

Comment

That's terrible. It must suck to be you.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              That's terrible. It must suck to be you.
              Well I do have a few things going for me that allow me to stockpile hours.

- I don't get sick very often and its not usually severe enough to miss more then half a day of work.

- I don't have a family/SO that would require me to take days off for various reasons.

- I don't take any last minute "i just don't feel like coming in today" days.

- I'm not lazy.

I usually use my time extending holidays or making a few long weekends to do specific things/attend events or to travel. Plus I like my job. So being there doesn't really bother me.
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by gmann View Post
                I dislike you both for these statements. (stupid jealousy)

My work place is very quiet this week due to production shutdown and all the salaried employees were encouraged to take days off. They're changing our vacation rollover limit from 150% yearly earned time to 100% yearly earned time in November. For example, I earn 10 lousy days a year...so I could hold up to 15 without losing them, now I will only be able to hold 10 (not that I will ever have that problem). So a bunch of people have 6 weeks of vacation time stored up and have to get it down to 4 weeks (while they continue to accrue more time off each month).

Yeah, I have 4 days saved up. By the start of hockey season I should have 6 days saved up (and then use 3 right away for an Anchorage trip).

Anyway, I am very tired of hearing coworkers talking about how they "have to" use vacation. They could just loose the days...it's not like they have valued them enough to use them so far.
                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                  Anyway, I am very tired of hearing coworkers talking about how they "have to" use vacation. They could just loose the days...it's not like they have valued them enough to use them so far.
                  This isn't necessarily true.

Vacation and Sick days are combined a lot of places. So if you use up all those "unvalued" days you having nothing for severe illness, child birth, etc.

I do like the idea of rollover limits though. So you can still have days saved, but you aren't just stockpiling to take 2 months off at a time (not that an employer would allow that).
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Someone has more than I do.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Years ago I worked for a firm that had separate sick time and vacation time and you could convert saved sick time to vacation at a 2 to 1 rate. One of my coworkers never took sick time and had a bunch saved up that he wanted to convert, then the company changed over to all PTO time and he ended up loosing a bunch of saved days. Moral is, use it you might lose it.

I also worked with a Corp of Engineers guy (he was a client) who retired like two years early because he had never taken sick time and banked like 20 years worth of sick days. He was allowed to take them all at once. Moral is maybe you shouldn't use it.

Comment

Well I do have a few things going for me that allow me to stockpile hours.

- I don't get sick very often and its not usually severe enough to miss more then half a day of work.

- I don't have a family/SO that would require me to take days off for various reasons.

- I don't take any last minute "i just don't feel like coming in today" days.

- I'm not lazy.

I usually use my time extending holidays or making a few long weekends to do specific things/attend events or to travel. Plus I like my job. So being there doesn't really bother me.
                        Same for me. I rarely miss work and for whatever reason I have not had any big plans to use it up. For the remainder of the year I will take some long weekends and more than likely I will take the last two weeks of December off.

My employer allows us to purchase an extra week of vacation and they only allow 40 hours to be carried over from year to year.

I do miss a chunk of work due to little g and his appointments and such. My employer gives us like 40 hours per year which is called EDL or emergency disability leave. I can use this time with a doctors note for any medical related issues for me and my family (including my parents, in laws and siblings) These hours can be banked and are not a "use it or lose it" each year. They can be cashed out when one quits/ resigns.

There are some other perks my employer has but the moral of the story is that I work for a pretty cool company.

Example. My company after paying all the bills had 70 million dollars left over for 2008. They gave away 40 million to non profits in MN in 2008.
                        Last edited by gmann; 07-08-2009, 11:14 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

I may have more than that! I get 20 days off (vacation, sick, whatever). Whatever I don't use I accrue and can rollover but we can only roll over up to 20. Over the years, I've never been able to use all my days, so I've been rolling over 20 every year, then get another 20. I can never use it all. This is why I'm so annoyed about BU not publishing its schedule yet. I want to know if I need to travel to see them and I want to save my time for that.

'ewe - it never takes me more than 15 minutes to get home from a game. Depends on lights, etc. It's a very quick ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            I may have more than that! I get 20 days off (vacation, sick, whatever). Whatever I don't use I accrue and can rollover but we can only roll over up to 20. Over the years, I've never been able to use all my days, so I've been rolling over 20 every year, then get another 20. I can never use it all. This is why I'm so annoyed about BU not publishing its schedule yet. I want to know if I need to travel to see them and I want to save my time for that.

'ewe - it never takes me more than 15 minutes to get home from a game. Depends on lights, etc. It's a very quick ride.
                            Agreed -- I want to be sure the dates on the schedule are set before making some important plans (Fright Night tickets at Universal! )

Ah -- do you ever take the T? Not a huge deal, just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                              Ah -- do you ever take the T? Not a huge deal, just curious.
                              Not from a game. It's definitely doable. I've taken the T home from the arena after a FOH meeting and it's never been a problem. But since I usually stick around after games, I don't like taking the T that late as the trains don't run as often.

Comment

we used to give our employees 10 "personal days" - sick, dog to vet, day at the cottage, whatever. if the days hadn't been used at the end of the year they got paid for them.
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X