This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    Who is delusional when my scenario is only one team changes conferences (to balance them after losing the AK teams) different than pre-Nacho and you have two "eastern" teams playing in the "west" two "western" teams playing in the "east" for 8 years when there was no reason for them to have to do so? So yes, the Nacho caused a lot more change to the college hockey landscape than was necessary. And I would argue that the changes caused by Nacho were more detrimental to college hockey as a whole than if they just stayed status quo after the B1G formed.
    So we agree the Alaska schools likely die anyway and neither league would have taken UAH.
    How is what you constructed so much better that you can claim the NCHC was so detrimental?
    Facts would be nice...not just your belief.
    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Re: New WCHA is dead

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
      So we agree the Alaska schools likely die anyway and neither league would have taken UAH.
      How is what you constructed so much better that you can claim the NCHC was so detrimental?
      Facts would be nice...not just your belief.
      Follow the bouncing ball through the thread. I've said all along that these are my opinions. But if you want me to back them up with facts, I'm sure I could waste a lot of time tracking down data that I could present in just a way to support my opinions, as could you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        There is such a thing as loyalty. It's rare but it is out there. And some people do value it more than money.
        i can't remember an even *remotely* recent example of that happening in any NCAA program that had/has a shot of making a buck.

I feel bad for the Alaskan teams, but it had to happen. (It's easier to get to London than it is to either of them for all of Hockey East and the ECAC, for example.)

Just not a practical situation for the cottage-industry that is college hockey, IMO.
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 07-09-2019, 11:51 PM.

Comment

here...

idea not considering the AZ and AK schools;

bring UAH back to make it the magnificent 8... call the new conference TAHA (tornado alley hockey association)

create two regions/divisions;

Cone Tornado - "When people think of a tornado rolling across the Plains in the central United States, a cone tornado is often what comes to mind."
          Wedge Tornado - "Some of the largest and most destructive tornadoes in history fall in the category of a wedge tornado."

Cone Division; MNSU/BSU/MTU/NMU
          Wedge Division; LSSU/FSU/BGSU/UAH

pair them up for local rivalries;

MNSU/BSU
          MTU/NMU
          LSSU/FSU
          BGSU/UAH

have teams play four series against their rival, two series against their two other region/division teams, and one series against all teams in the other region/division.

that would make a 4-2-2-1-1-1-1 series schedule; 24 conference games. all teams make the play-offs, seeing by overall record (and maybe against another region team).

[too many games against your rival? make it 2-2-2 / 2-2-1-1 -or- 3-3-3 / 1-1-1-0 -or- 3-3-2 / 1-1-1-1. or go with 3-3-3 / 1-1-1-1 for 26 games.]

leaving you with 10 games to be had against NC teams.

in the case of tech, you play the GLI, so that leaves four series.

for starters, play UMD, SCSU, UMN, and UWI - two NACHO and two B1G.

i would be a happy camper; reduces travel, cost, opens schedule for more NC games, and increases local rivalries.

you are welcome.

GO TECH GOLD!
          Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 07-10-2019, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
            My bubble isn't burst. My only point is that the status quo would have worked well after the B1G exodus.

Fast forward to 2019 and this scenario if Nacho didn't exist: The AK teams have the money rug pulled out from under them and have to shut down, leaving the WCHA with nine teams and CCHA with seven. Logic (admittedly absent in college hockey since 2011) dictates one WCHA team migrates to the CCHA for two 8-team leagues. My guess would be Tech so they could join NMU and Lake State as well as the rest in the EST zone.
            WCHA: CC, DU, UND, BSU, SCSU, UMD, MSU & UNO

CCHA: MTU, NMU, LSSU, FSU, WMU, ND, MU & BGSU

Still two very viable leagues, IMHO.

I realize this scenario does not address UAH but I doubt they would have been added to either league without the Nacho.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
            I would actually like to see Mankato and Bemidji swapped for Miami and WMU because it makes so much more sense from a geographical standpoint. There's just one problem with that: I highly doubt Miami or WMU would agree to this. They're already in the best conference and no program would voluntarily leave that for a lesser one. That, plus if Bemidji was in the NCHC they'd get their clock cleaned every night.

Comment

Eight regular season games against the same opponent? Basically 1/4 of your schedule against the same team? You may be onto something, and it could save the Alaska schools - they could start a 3 team conference with ASU and all play each other 16 times in the regular season.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
                ...I highly doubt Miami or WMU would agree to this. They're already in the best conference and no program would voluntarily leave that for a lesser one. ...
                And I believe the "penalty" for asking out of the conference is quite sizable, so unless MSU-M and BSU want to pay the entry fee *and* partial/full buyout of WMU/Miami, it ain't happening.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  And I believe the "penalty" for asking out of the conference is quite sizable, so unless MSU-M and BSU want to pay the entry fee *and* partial/full buyout of WMU/Miami, it ain't happening.
                  I wasn't suggesting MSU and BSU swap with WMU and Miami. At the start I mentioned it as scenario that could have been if the Nacho was not formed in the first place. IMHO, college hockey as a whole would have been better served under that scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
                    I would actually like to see Mankato and Bemidji swapped for Miami and WMU because it makes so much more sense from a geographical standpoint. There's just one problem with that: I highly doubt Miami or WMU would agree to this. They're already in the best conference and no program would voluntarily leave that for a lesser one. That, plus if Bemidji was in the NCHC they'd get their clock cleaned every night.
                    It's for these reasons I think it's more likely that WMU and Miami stay with the NCHC, but I don't think making that switch would be as big a deal, or as far-fetched, as some may make it out to be.

First, changing the buy-out could be made if the other six NCHC teams agreed, and they would probably do that just for travel reasons alone. It's not like trying to change the US Constitution or something.

Second, while WMU and Miami can claim a home in what is currently the top conference, they haven't exactly thrived in that conference, and conference success can be cyclical. WMU has had some recent success and Miami won the tournament a couple of years ago, but more often than not they've finished in the second division of the conference and it hasn't resulted in consistent appearances in the NCAA tournament. They might look at the newly formed CCHA/WCHA or whatever they'll call themselves and see their program as the Mankato program, always at or near the top and consistently appearing in the NCAA tournament.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      i can't remember an even *remotely* recent example of that happening in any NCAA program that had/has a shot of making a buck.
                      Part of that is because those stories don't play in the media. There has long been a divide between the public and private schools in Hockey East. With the rare exception of one of the UMass teams doing well the state schools inevitably finish in the lower half of the league while the private schools (except Merrimack) compete for Hockey East championships and NCAA tournament appearances.

The private schools could take a few "like minded" members of the ECAC and leave the state schools behind. It would be financially beneficial to to do so. After what happened to the Big East (which BC helped found) and the NCHC I thought this was where we were headed. Three different people told me that wouldn't happen because BC (and particularly Jerry York) was committed to making Hockey East work.

Sure sounds like he places a higher value on loyalty than money. But he's just a Hall of Famer so he probably isn't much of an example.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        It's for these reasons I think it's more likely that WMU and Miami stay with the NCHC, but I don't think making that switch would be as big a deal, or as far-fetched, as some may make it out to be.

First, changing the buy-out could be made if the other six NCHC teams agreed, and they would probably do that just for travel reasons alone. It's not like trying to change the US Constitution or something.

Second, while WMU and Miami can claim a home in what is currently the top conference, they haven't exactly thrived in that conference, and conference success can be cyclical. WMU has had some recent success and Miami won the tournament a couple of years ago, but more often than not they've finished in the second division of the conference and it hasn't resulted in consistent appearances in the NCAA tournament. They might look at the newly formed CCHA/WCHA or whatever they'll call themselves and see their program as the Mankato program, always at or near the top and consistently appearing in the NCAA tournament.
                        I agree with this. Here's what this might look like from the NCHC perspective:

1) For the past 3-4 years, Mankato has out-PWR'ed Western and Bemidji has out-PWR'ed Miami State. Result is at worst even up for the Nachos with Mankato providing some upside.
                        2) Western and Miami State contribute zilch to the Frozen Faceoff revenue stream and that's never going to change. Replacing WMU/MU with 2 more Minnesota schools is a clear win for the Nachos here.
                        3) With a geographic footprint consolidation travel costs for the remaining members are reduced. Seems like a wash for DU/CC as travel to Bemidji is as bad as travel to K'zoo though it's a net win for everyone else.

If I'm Fenton, why wouldn't I at least consider letting WMU and Miami State out for reduced/zero exit fees? Seems like I'd be better off.
                        Last edited by TalonsUpPuckDown; 07-10-2019, 09:40 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
                          here...

idea not considering the AZ and AK schools;

bring UAH back to make it the magnificent 8... call the new conference TAHA (tornado alley hockey association)

create two regions/divisions;

Cone Tornado - "When people think of a tornado rolling across the Plains in the central United States, a cone tornado is often what comes to mind."
                          Wedge Tornado - "Some of the largest and most destructive tornadoes in history fall in the category of a wedge tornado."

Cone Division; MNSU/BSU/MTU/NMU
                          Wedge Division; LSSU/FSU/BGSU/UAH

pair them up for local rivalries;

MNSU/BSU
                          MTU/NMU
                          LSSU/FSU
                          BGSU/UAH

have teams play four series against their rival, two series against their two other region/division teams, and one series against all teams in the other region/division.

that would make a 4-2-2-1-1-1-1 series schedule; 24 conference games. all teams make the play-offs, seeing by overall record (and maybe against another region team).

[too many games against your rival? make it 2-2-2 / 2-2-1-1 -or- 3-3-3 / 1-1-1-0 -or- 3-3-2 / 1-1-1-1]

leaving you with 10 games to be had against NC teams.

in the case of tech, you play the GLI, so that leaves four series.

for starters, play UMD, SCSU, UMN, and UWI - two NACHO and two B1G.

i would be a happy camper; reduces travel, cost, opens schedule for more NC games, and increases local rivalries.

you are welcome.

GO TECH GOLD!
                          Well, UAH has a fantastic atmospheric science program, and we're a huge-*** target for tornadoes, so ...

It's nice to see this discussion be about what could and should happen and not lots of blathering about what could or should have been done seven years ago. Give it a rest. We have three programs here that are on their death beds, and ...

Never mind, I forgot that I'm on the Internet.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

People are too busy blaming PSU hockey and the BTHC for problems that existed before either of those entities existed.

I feel like if we were going to be ****ed at PSU for things that we discovered in 2011, there are far more important things for us to be upset about.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

nWCHA schools were struggling competitively and financially before realignment. UAA and MTU were cellar dwellers. BGSU almost folded.

nWCHA has higher travel costs than the old WCHA/CCHA alignment, and that’s a fair critique of what happened. Especially with the Alaska schools together.

But gfm is onto something here: endless whining about the WCHA/CCHA to B1G/NCHC/nWCHA shift is pointless. What can be done to fix what actually exists?
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

What can be done to fix what exists?

Well, we think the Alaska schools are going to have their budgets completely slashed. The only way to fix that is to contribute a lot of money. That's a sad situation, of course, but it seems to be the reality of it.

Huntsville....The problem seems to be that, on the surface, it costs too much to travel there. I'm not really sure that is the case, but some here have indicated that getting to Huntsville is difficult at best. It seems that the program itself is solvent. It also seems, therefore, that cutting travel costs for some schools to get there is the thing which needs to be done.

How do you do that?

I don't know. Ideas?

Comment

Working...
                                X