Sunyac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunyac

Not trying to throw hate at any individual team in asking this. But I’m just genuinely curious why the SUNYAC, while a strong and competitive conference, pretty much ends the same every season. Geneseo, Oswego, and Plattsburgh battle it out for the top 3 spots, while Fredonia Brockport, and Buffalo seem to be in a second tier, followed by Potsdam, Cortland, and Morrisville in the lower third tier, with Cortland and Morrisville routinely missing playoffs. Why can’t Potsdam break through to be a top tier program with their new rink? Why does Geneseo do so much better than Cortland or Brockport when they basically have the exact same rinks to show recruits? Is it recruiting? Coaching? Facilities? Geographic location? History? School reputation? I would love any input here. My cousin played at Fredonia in the early 2000’s and said that the tiered system I mentioned earlier was pretty much the same 20 years ago. What keeps these teams from improving? Again, I love the SUNYAC conference. Just curious about the programs. Also, why not let Canton in as an affiliate member? I think they will soon pass Morrisville and Cortland in terms of team strength. They also have a beautiful new facility. They can’t be independent forever.
    Last edited by Keith-Stone; 04-22-2019, 07:37 PM.

Re: Sunyac

You've covered an awful lot ground here amigo, small bites. If you pull for a particular SUNYAC program visit the school pages, Twitter, etc, pay attention and visit this board often.
    This conference is really no different that any other; the haves and have nots. For every Alabama there's a Vanderbilt. Same logic applies here. If you follow a particular school closely you know which sports they are invested in.
    It's off season so now the talk will be about recruits. I myself look for which players are returning, how many are graduating, and the transfer wire. There is a ton of history on the team pages/sunyac page to refer to that might answer some the questions you have as to 'why'. BTW love Canton and what they did this year. That being said, GO LAKERS.

Comment

Are there any non-elitist arguments against Canton joining the league? Geography is the only one I can think of but the schools could make it work. Canton would actually be an ideal travel partner for Potsdam, but then that leaves Plattsburgh without one.

Fredonia-Buff State
      Geneseo-Brockport
      Morrisville-Cortland
      Potsdam-Canton

That would leave Oswego and Plattsburgh without partners. Maybe they could be paired together
      #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
        Are there any non-elitist arguments against Canton joining the league? Geography is the only one I can think of but the schools could make it work. Canton would actually be an ideal travel partner for Potsdam, but then that leaves Plattsburgh without one.

Fredonia-Buff State
        Geneseo-Brockport
        Morrisville-Cortland
        Potsdam-Canton

That would leave Oswego and Plattsburgh without partners. Maybe they could be paired together
        The proposal hockey coaches were talking about when Canton’s application was being considered was Plattsburgh-Potsdam, Oswego-Canton.

In terms of why they weren’t accepted, the key words were “Academic Profile.” The SUNYAC members are all four-year liberal arts colleges. Canton is a former two-year school with a heavy tech focus, and more than half of their courses of study are still Associates Degree programs.

As to whether that should have anything to do with their membership in the SUNYAC... I suppose you’d have to ask the MIAC about how enrollment and academic profile comes into the discussion, when they vote next month on a proposal to kick St Thomas out because they’re too big.
        Plattsburgh CARDINALS
        SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
        ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
        NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
        NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
        NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
        NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

With Morrisville and you pair the Wallabies with the Ponies. Not ideal, but there are worse in other conferences (Hamilton - Amherst comes to mind).
          Last edited by joecct; 04-25-2019, 08:48 AM.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Morrisville-Canton probably makes the most sense since it doesn't disrupt the status quo. It's a tough trip but doable once a year.
            #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
              The proposal hockey coaches were talking about when Canton’s application was being considered was Plattsburgh-Potsdam, Oswego-Canton.
              Correct. And Cortland-Morrisville.

It's really the only way it works without leaving Plattsburgh out on an island.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                In terms of why they weren’t accepted, the key words were “Academic Profile.” The SUNYAC members are all four-year liberal arts colleges. Canton is a former two-year school with a heavy tech focus, and more than half of their courses of study are still Associates Degree programs.
                But isn't their academic profile similar to Morrisville? What distinguishes Canton from the 'lil Ponies" ?
                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                  But isn't their academic profile similar to Morrisville? What distinguishes Canton from the 'lil Ponies" ?
                  A question I myself have asked often.

I think the difference is Canton still offers two-year degrees, while the other two to four year schools (Morrisville, SUNYIT (now SUNY Poly), Farmingdale) no longer do. However, I was told they don't "really" anymore, and thus the issue is no more. I have also been told the Presidents of the schools most against Canton joining are no longer against it. Then again, I've been told they still are. You can never get a straight answer...
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                    Does Canton have a cow barn right next to the rink?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Potsdam had a cow farm across the street from Maxcy Hall. If the wind was blowing the wrong way....
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

Kangaroos and cows........quite the turnaround regardless 14-9-2 from 7-16-2 the prior year
                        Last edited by OZFEST; 04-26-2019, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OZFEST View Post
                          Kangaroos and cows........quite the turnaround regardless 14-9-2 from 7-16-2 the prior year
                          They seem like a program on the up and up. Seem like they would be a great fit for the 'YAC
                          #OneKnight

Comment

Hell, Penn State has a cow barn right near campus... helps feed the best on-campus ice creamery in the United States (where Ben & Jerry learned to make ice cream)!
                            Steve
                            Penn State Class of '95
                            Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                              Hell, Penn State has a cow barn right near campus... helps feed the best on-campus ice creamery in the United States (where Ben & Jerry learned to make ice cream)!
                              Is the nuclear reactor still there, too?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X