Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2 week hiatus between Regionals - Frozen Four

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    I hear you. I'm not really arguing because obviously it's true that we lose when going up against basketball. My only point was that the two weeks, for me, slows down the momentum.
    It's a legitimate concern. And yet, the "vantage point" factor comes into play again. I thought J.D. made an insightful observation. If you're watching both the regionals and the FF on TV, having the events on consecutive weekends is going to be more appealing. But as the amount of travel increases, the extra time becomes more helpful.

I understand that there are a million factors. For me, here in New England, the golf courses are opening up, the weather is getting nice and people's minds start to move on to other things after a long winter. These may sound frivolous...I'm just expressing my preference.
    No, that's not frivolous at all. This describes the climate here as well. Spring isn't unambiguously good, however. One of my favorite quips is that there are two seasons: Hockey & Yard Work. Unfortunately we're right on the threshold of Yard Work.

Regardless, you're correct about people moving on as the seasons change. Moving the FF any later would be problematic for this reason.

Also, for those who like Hockey season, the NHL Playoffs provide a life preserver in April & May. Having the FF complete before the NHL Playoffs really hit full stride is one of my preferences. I do wish the Stanley Cup would be hoisted by Memorial Day; but that's a whole 'nuther conversation.

And personally, when I attend in person, there's no way I can see the Masters (only mentioned that since you brought it up). When you travel somewhere you are usually out and about, not sitting in the hotel watching TV.

I'm not going to argue that it SHOULD be the week before...just expressing my preference.
    Drew S. brought up the Masters in the second post, and appropriately so. Many are interested in both events. One regular member of our travel group has a tendency to book horrifically early Sunday morning flights in order to get home in time for full final round Masters coverage.

Agreed on not sitting around the hotel room for long periods of time while traveling. But for those that do some lunches or early dinners at sports bars, having live Masters coverage on the video screens is kind of nice. And realistically, most FF fans aren't going to be watching wall-to-wall golf coverage Thursday through Saturday, whether home or traveling. It's more a matter of keeping tabs on the Masters, at least until the weekend. And again, my main point on the Masters is that the TV coverage of the two events meshes well, so no one has to choose one event over the other.
    Last edited by pgb-ohio; 04-06-2019, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Travel and weather are concerns, for sure, good and bad. Denver '08, on one of the days, the weather sucked. Cold, windy, kinda snowy. Spent much time indoors (bar/restaurant). In Mpls the last two times ('11, '18) the weather was decent. In '11 tailgating was still allowed in one of the lots near the arena, and it was a blast. Last year, some of us ended up doing a pub crawl, showing some easterners around.

Point being, in some of these areas, having the F4 a week later increases the chances of better weather, so people can not only go to the games, but they can walk around the city and see stuff without being miserable. As for travel, some people are just sports nuts overall, and the week separation gives them a chance to hit up both the F4 and the Final Four.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Reported attendance figures (can find them in the collegehockeystats.net box scores, if not the NCAA website or Wikipedia). Compared to capacities for the venues listed on Wikipedia.

By this method, the only times the FF has been under 97% capacity since going to 16 teams:

- 2005 semis and final (Columbus)
        - 2013 semis (Pittsburgh)
        - 2014 semis (Philadelphia)
        - 2016 semis (Tampa)

The worst was Philly, where the semis were still at 89.7% capacity...

...The first semifinal each year probably gets a lot of latecomers, and I’m sure that the second semifinal attendance is merely listed for both games (the reported numbers for the semis are the same every year), but still. There’s no incentive for the host venue to overreport their attendance numbers, so at worst that’s an accurate measure of tickets sold.
        I've already commented at length on this on one of the companion threads. But very quickly: At BEST it's an accurate measure of tickets sold. The official numbers include some padding, if not some outright lies. The semi-finals at Philly? That night the building was two thirds empty. 89.7% goes beyond padding and lying. It's LOL funny.

CLS is correct about the "Saving Face" incentive.

Comment

the golf courses are opening up, the weather is getting nice and people's minds start to move on to other things after a long winter.
          If your golf courses are already opening up, it HAS NOT been a long winter.

Comment

Remember that the Women's Final Four is also this weekend. The NCAA is not going to put the Frozen Four at the same time as either the men's or women's basketball championship, nor should they. I think the current setup is fine.
            Michael Napier - UAH '97
            uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
            U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
            NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
            CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
            CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Have also heard in the past that - that they didn't want to spilt a schools fans, if their hoops & hockey both made their final fours. Even though that would really only effect the Big Ten teams maybe Providence. BC & UConn hoops teams really aren't a factor anymore, though they could make a comeback at sometime I guess. Again, don't know if its really true or not.

I guess if they really wanted to try this weekend, they could do Friday nights & Sunday afternoon, if they didn't want to conflict with hoops.

Comment

I hear you. I'm not really arguing because obviously it's true that we lose when going up against basketball. My only point was that the two weeks, for me, slows down the momentum. I understand that there are a million factors. For me, here in New England, the golf courses are opening up, the weather is getting nice and people's minds start to move on to other things after a long winter. These may sound frivolous...I'm just expressing my preference. And personally, when I attend in person, there's no way I can see the Masters (only mentioned that since you brought it up). When you travel somewhere you are usually out and about, not sitting in the hotel watching TV.

I'm not going to argue that it SHOULD be the week before...just expressing my preference.
                College hockey season dovetails perfectly with surfcasting and trout fishing season in the northeast, I love the way it works out, you could add golf to the list as well. I prefer the delay for the FF, builds up a little tension and also gives folks time to plan. I had to travel to Tampa last week and had trouble finding a sports bar that would free up a tv from BBall to let me watch the regionals.
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                  College hockey season dovetails perfectly with surfcasting and trout fishing season in the northeast, I love the way it works out, you could add golf to the list as well. I prefer the delay for the FF, builds up a little tension and also gives folks time to plan. I had to travel to Tampa last week and had trouble finding a sports bar that would free up a tv from BBall to let me watch the regionals.
                  That's an issue for sure. (I can think of nothing I enjoy much more than hurling a "pencil-poppa" 75 yards into the ocean off Race Point.)

And, if you want a higher mountain to climb, try asking for college baseball at a sports-bar. Nearly impossible.
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-06-2019, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                    If your golf courses are already opening up, it HAS NOT been a long winter.
                    11:20 tee off time tomorrow morning. Last tine I played HERE (doesn’t include trip to Myrtle Beach) was September. Seven months is long to me...

Comment

Originally posted by Beantown Puck View Post
                      Players get up to 4 but can only leave them for immediate family.
                      Teams get tickets for their fans. I got good seats in 2016 through the QU box office after the regionals. UND didn’t seem to have an issue filling the place

Comment

Originally posted by QUFan View Post
                        Teams get tickets for their fans. I got good seats in 2016 through the QU box office after the regionals. UND didn’t seem to have an issue filling the place
                        You know what there is to do in North Dakota besides hockey? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by QUFan View Post
                          We usually do not. There is a reason they say "For North Dakota, every game is a home game."
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a sh**!

-Gilmore

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                              I know this has prob been discussed before.. but will the NCAA ever re-consider holding the Frozen Four the same wknd as the Final 4? Its different fan bases, (we are a niche).. heck they can hold the gms at different TV time slots so as not to conflict.. but the 2 week hiatus, is it good? bad? Times have changed.. 2 wks seems a bit much.. what do you guys think?
                              My opinion is they should have the conference championships the same weekend as basketball Final Four. Games on Fri night, Sat afternoon, Sun afternoon. Different fan base, and really, who watches these tourneys other than the diehard hockey fans. Then have tournament over the next two weekends with no week off. Frozen Four would be third weekend of April, with no conflict with the Masters. By pushing the Frozen Four out a week and eliminating the bye week, they can also start the season two-three weeks later. Who is into hockey in October anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by jfromvt View Post
                                Who is into hockey in October anyway?
                                I am!

I like your idea of moving the FF back, but add more regular season games and a mid season bye week.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X