2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pc88 View Post
    People forget that PC was #5 in the preseason poll. Nate, the team and all fans would have been disappointed in any result that didn’t end in the Frozen Four this year. This was expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This was my issue with Providence all season...they were not playing up to their talent level week in and week out.
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
      And yet if BC had won the Hockey East Tournament...
      PC still would have gotten in since Minnesota State beat Bowling Green.
      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

BG would have been bumped, not PC. Going into Hockey East tournament I thought PC was most balanced team in the league and would win it. Perhaps we get the HE title game that never was.

Oh and three shutouts in regional finals, plus two other shutouts and 5 other games where losing team scored one goal. I don't need a 6-5 game but come on, how about some goals.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          No doubt they are playing very well, but I wonder... if the crowd had not been screaming at the refs yesterday, would they have gone back and reviewed that penalty on Mankato? I think not.
          Uh they were always going to go back and review that one. Been happening more frequently regardless of crowd influence.

Comment

• Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            Uh they were always going to go back and review that one. Been happening more frequently regardless of crowd influence.
            It was a hit to the head. That will always be reviewed, as per the rules. It's either 5 or nothing. Was with a hardcore MSU fan yesterday, and even HE admitted it was the right call.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
              It was a hit to the head. That will always be reviewed, as per the rules. It's either 5 or nothing. Was with a hardcore MSU fan yesterday, and even HE admitted it was the right call.
              Sure but there was no call at the time. so to say that they would have reviewed because it was a hit to the head? How would they know? I don't believe they would have gone back but for the crowd howling, however sure, they might have. It just seems awfully fortuitious.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                Sure but there was no call at the time. so to say that they would have reviewed because it was a hit to the head? How would they know? I don't believe they would have gone back but for the crowd howling, however sure, they might have. It just seems awfully fortuitious.
                Maybe because the kid was sprawled on the ice even though the play continued? When haven’t the refs looked at that?

Comment

Maybe because the kid was sprawled on the ice even though the play continued? When haven’t the refs looked at that?

Honest question, im not sure what happened because they didnt show anything on tv, but isnt that exactly what happenes with tuomie being checked earlier in the game? Or was he laying on the ice because he got hit lower?
                  Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    Right. Calling a man by a female title is perfectly reasonable.

I'm just glad he recognizes my regal greatness.
                    The 2000s called. They want their titles back.
                    Genders can be neutral
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      They showed the rule on tv. It can be reviewed ONLY for a major. There is no 2 minute ruling. As for stoppage in play, I forget which game it was (forgive me, I watched about 18 hours of hockey in the last 2 days), a guy was visibly unable to stand, yet play went on until the next whistle. So, same scenario there. Once play stopped, the refs said, "Hey, there might have been contact to the head, let's look. They did, and made the right call.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                        In a small way I'd like to see Providence win all the way out in Buffalo to shut people (me included) up about the NCAA letting them play "at home" in the Regional.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                        Huh?

That was the only way the fryers won in 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                          ... either because people are too stupid to understand what is being said, or in bad faith because they don't want to acknowledge it.

If you can't admit that virtually every coach would pick to play in their home town, you are a clown.

That's not the argument, and the more a person tries to make it the argument the more foolish they look.

but to claim the "neutral" sites have eliminated location advantage is stupid at best and dishonest at worst.
                          My way or no way...

Comment

People forget that PC was #5 in the preseason poll. Nate, the team and all fans would have been disappointed in any result that didn’t end in the Frozen Four this year. This was expected.

Couldn’t one expect the preseason top 4 to end up in the frozen four?? #5 defeated by #4 in a regional final (unless the game was in Providence )

Comment

The ENTIRE reason for moving to neutral sites for the regionals was to eliminate advantage based on location. It wasn't done to increase attendance or to make more money.
                              No, but team placement IS about the attendance. It's pretty clearly set forth by NCAA, and it's been like that for many, many years. You can even look at the bracketology blog on this site - throughout the season (and PC stayed in top 16 throughout) PC was always put in Providence (albeit at a higher seed than one they eventually came in at).

That effort to eliminate location advantage has clearly failed.
                              A matter of personal opinion.

First, Providence received an advantage that was wholly unnecessary to give them - There is no reason why that regional couldn't have been swapped out with another wholesale.
                              Or even better, they could have just moved Providence to some other site. Then, we could have watched MSU and AIC game played in front of 72 MSU fans that attended the game yesterday (71 fans + one creature in female form) and all 18 fans of AIC (families included) in a 12,000 people arena. Do you think Brown bids to see that? Again, NCAA makes it pretty clear the attendance will be considered and seeding respected. I can guarantee you that Brown folks aimes for: 1. best case scenario having both BC and BU in Providence (both would have felt more at home at the Dunk than PC); 2. BC or BU and PC; 3. PC; or highly unlikely 4. Brown.

There was no requirement to place Providence in Providence as they were not the host. They did not "earn" that advantage as they were the bottom seed in their regional. So the only reason to do it was for money
                              There's no "requirement" for sure, regardless of whether the team is the host or not and no, no team can "earn" that advantage. Yup, it was for the money, and I don't see any problem with that. This is college hockey, not college basketball or football.

Second, if there is going to be an advantage handed out, it seems much more fair for that advantage to be dictated by seeding rather than money (or in some cases flat out who can afford to buy it).
                              The system of regional tournaments, as they are now, can never be "fair". Leave the question of "fairness" for peewee competition. Which regional site would be fair to Huntsville? ASU? How about Alaska's teams?

In the end, you are contradicting yourself. First, you state there should not be an advantage based on location, but then you say it would be fair if it existed based on seeding. So which one is it, then?

Comment

For all the Leah Hextall fans in this thread

It was a somewhat standard call, like many I have had in my 15-year career. I was thrilled that ESPN coordinating producer John Vassallo was asking me to work the NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Tournament.

Calling an NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Tournament regional was something I have never done and would further my experience as a play-by-play broadcaster, a role I moved into last year after more than 14 years as a reporter and host.

Comment

Working...
                                X