Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 Frozen Four

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Penn State is an easy 3.5 hr drive from me (and Vic).
    And I have made the drive (last year for the ladies and this year for the men). Nice drive in October.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      If the ice was really as bad as people are saying, then QU shouldn't host again until this is fully addressed. At the same time, if the culprit is the "need" for on-ice tournament logos, then this is another case of the NCAA needing to modify its hosting requirements. Good ice is so much more important than any marketing value gained by the logos.
      I'm . . . just . . . excuse me, I can't stop giggling.

This is the NCAA we're talking about. Nothing is more important than the slightest hypothetical, if unmeasureable, marketing value.

Can't share that emotion. Sure, it's irregular. But within reason, building quirks can be part of the fun.

Doesn't Cheel Arena at Clarkson have that set-up? That's a nice rink in my book. I'm struggling to recall from last week's webcast, but I think each team's penalty box was on the same side of the ice as their bench. If accurate, that really eliminates any inequity.
      If that's true at Cheel, great, but that would make it unique among buildings in my experience. In reality, buildings with the benches on opposite sides of the ice provide an advantage to the home team.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

This is the NCAA we're talking about. Nothing is more important than the slightest hypothetical, if unmeasureable, marketing value.

If that's true at Cheel, great, but that would make it unique among buildings in my experience. In reality, buildings with the benches on opposite sides of the ice provide an advantage to the home team.
        The benches at Cheel are on the opposite side of the ice from one another with the penalty box for Clarkson next to the Clarkson bench, the scorers section next to it and then the penalty box for the visitor next to it (actually this penalty box is also the exit for the visiting team to get to its lockers.)
        Last edited by vicb; 03-23-2019, 11:44 AM.
        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          It should be spread around...It is just a disservice to those playing the games when the most important thing that the games depend on is substandard.
          I agree with that. Would be interested to hear from players or coaches about the ice conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
            Would be interested to hear from players or coaches about the ice conditions.
            The guy who (often is) was the 'analyst' on the Wisconsin radio broadcast yesterday is Mark Greenhalgh, who is the 'goalie coach' for the Badgers. I don't recall the context exactly, but at one point yesterday he said something like "the ice wasn't great when we got here Wednesday, but it was better yesterday, and is better again today."

(I also remember one year Mark Johnson only half-joking about 'next time' bringing along the Kohl Center ice guy to a 'final four', but I don't remember what year, and which arena, etc.)

Comment

The ice looked really bad for game 1, it looked better for game 2. I have to believe by this time tomorrow it should be good if they manage it properly.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                Ugh. I am seeing this argument so much. Ridiculous that only Minnesota should host the Frozen Four. Just incredibly elitist. Minnesota is already so spoiled with all they get to host... an NCAA quarter final and 2 NW games just last week.

Any city that applies, has a rink that meets the specs, should be considered. If you look at the stats for last night’s game it says 3200 people attended. Maybe that’s tickets sold, and not attended. Either way not a bad number.
                If you want attendance, play it at Ridder. That's not elitist, that's practical. Attendance was horrible yesterday with an eastern team in both games.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  Even for Minnesota players, it is nice to have a variety of possible experiences to pursue, not just one or two sites. While playing on your home rink in a FF is special, it should be no more than a chance to do it once in a career. Maybe Wisconsin should bid to host somewhere like Milwaukee or Chicago. If the Badgers could host at Kohl Center, it would rock if the building was full, but they'd have to make it. Even 3,000 people in there to watch BC play Clarkson would feel like it was empty.
                  This reminded me of Mariucci in 2006. I remember a lot of empty seats and was surprised when I looked it up and saw the listed attendance was 4701. Did that figure include all the UNH and St Lawrence fans that went home after the semifinals? Not that there was a lot of them anyway.
                  "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    The ice looked really bad for game 1, it looked better for game 2. I have to believe by this time tomorrow it should be good if they manage it properly.
                    It was terrible for game two; the end I was sitting at was slushy. Though I suppose it might have been worse for game one.

Comment

• Re: 2019 Frozen Four

I'm under no illusions. Intense, in-your-face marketing is here to stay. All I'm saying is that the NCAA doesn't need to melt the ice right before the tournament to reach the desired pain threshold.

It would only be a minor repair. We tweak the rulebook every couple of years. There's no reason the hosting regulations can't be similarly tweaked.

If coaches & administrators are willing to speak up on this, change is possible. But if those leaders see no need to speak, maybe the ice quality isn't quite as bad as some are claiming.

Comment

Hi folks,

Some local info for you, should you be looking for something to eat/do

Closest bar to the rink, and also the best for a beer (micro brew style) lover:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...nnecticut.html

They also have a **** good upscale pub fare menu

Second closest bar to the rink, but more of a neighborhood place, as opposed to QU hangout. Great pizza too:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...nnecticut.html

You can all search TripAdvisor for things to do in New Haven, which is barely 10 miles away
                        But if you really want something unique and local, try duckpin bowling

https://www.cthighlandbowl.com/

There are also two microbreweries in close proximity to the rink

Less than a mile away we have https://www.counterweightbrewing.com/

About 5 miles distant, there's https://noworriesbeer.com/

Enjoy Hamden!

Comment

• Originally posted by vicb View Post
                          The benches at Cheel are on the opposite side of the ice from one another with the penalty box for Clarkson next to the Clarkson bench, the scorers section next to it and then the penalty box for the visitor next to it (actually this penalty box is also the exit for the visiting team to get to its lockers.)
                          Exact same setup at RIT.

Same with D3 Oswego which has a better rink than a lot of D1 schools.
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                            I'm under no illusions. Intense, in-your-face marketing is here to stay. All I'm saying is that the NCAA doesn't need to melt the ice right before the tournament to reach the desired pain threshold.

It would only be a minor repair. We tweak the rulebook every couple of years. There's no reason the hosting regulations can't be similarly tweaked.

If coaches & administrators are willing to speak up on this, change is possible. But if those leaders see no need to speak, maybe the ice quality isn't quite as bad as some are claiming.
                            Again, we’re talking about the NCAA. No. Way. In. Hell. Do they ever give up the center ice logo. Just ask Boston what happened when they didn’t do that much to the surprise of the NCAA.

Besides, this is done all the time. I’m watching the men’s D3 championship right now. They had only four days notice, and the ice is fine. Same with the D3 women last weekend.
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              MJ loves to talk about puck luck, they got some there.

Why was the ice so bad? Too warm outside? The benches on both sides of the rink is SO yuck. What real hockey rink has that?

I think the NC$$ should do what they do for baseball and just have the FF at the same location every year....Ridder. You know you will have great ice, modern locker rooms, big city amenities, and at least one of MN or UW there every year, so they will get butts in the seats. Eastern team don't attend well, that is a fact, so why shoot yourself in the foot? Would the place have been full if one of the matchups was BU/BC last night? The next 3 years are Agganis (BU or BC?), Erie Insurance Arena (guessing Mercyhurst? 8.5 hr drive from WI) and Pegula (10.5 hrs). I guess I won't be attending the frozen 4 anytime soon the nc$$ isn't interested in getting butts in the seats. At least the B7 has the rights for 1 more year, so it gets on cable.
                              The last time it was in Erie, Wisconsin was in it (and won it). They brought a lot of fans.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

In reality, buildings with the benches on opposite sides of the ice provide an advantage to the home team.
                                How so?

Comment

Working...
                                X