Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I believe so, everyone I had penciled in for the 2019-20 roster is on the roster...Freshman are listed with their numbers now...29 player roster with 15 forwards, 11 defensemen, and 3 goaltenders.
    How many are allowed to dress now? Didn't the NCAA change that rule recently to allow an extra skater?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
      How many are allowed to dress now? Didn't the NCAA change that rule recently to allow an extra skater?

19 skaters and 2-3 goaltenders
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        I believe both Wisconsin and ASU are already pracitzing, but they are exempt this year. I just wnat to know if all the players who we thought would show up, actually showed up.
        Yeah, I saw ASU already played in some games against teams in China if I remember correctly.
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

So Mr. Johnson, same Home/Away Jerseys in 2019/20? Any special one off weekend jersey specials this season? Thanks.
          The U.P. should be the 27th star on Old Glory.

Comment

I have not heard anything about changes / additions for this season. However with Tech looking for their 4th new equip mgr / director of operations in five years, I haven't had good intel recently. I'm hoping they'll do a one weekend special again this season. I also hope they will continue to improve the auction process. Last year was better than the first year, but still left a lot of people frustrated at the end. (And they prob could have gotten more money for charity with a better plan for the sale.)

Comment

Ok, its time for hockey, let's get the talk going, can Tech compete this season....

I see a lot of potential, but need to play as a team and get the "O" clicking on all cylinders consistently.

Our D has improved with the newcomers and I think the offense will be the question early on.

Top 6:
              Halonen, Smith at C
              Parrottino and Broeztmann at LW
              Bliss and either Saretsky or Pietila at RW, Can Misiak take this spot?

Reitmeier takes 3rd Center spot and provides offense this year.
              Ganie wins 3rd line spot and is a very pleasant addition to the lineup

What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                Ok, its time for hockey, let's get the talk going, can Tech compete this season....

I see a lot of potential, but need to play as a team and get the "O" clicking on all cylinders consistently.

Our D has improved with the newcomers and I think the offense will be the question early on.

Top 6:
                Halonen, Smith at C
                Parrottino and Broeztmann at LW
                Bliss and either Saretsky or Pietila at RW, Can Misiak take this spot?

Reitmeier takes 3rd Center spot and provides offense this year.
                Ganie wins 3rd line spot and is a very pleasant addition to the lineup

What do you think?
                Yes, we are going to need team O this season. It will be interesting to see if Joe has a Top 6 or if he has 8-9 guys move in and out of the first two lines based on match-ups.

Agreed this year's D should be as good or better than last year. We return everyone which should mean improvement. It would be hard to imagine the top 4 changing much. Will the coaches be more aggressive and take more offensive risks knowing there is a solid experienced D corp back there?

Who is the #1 goalie, or is it going to be goalie by committee? I like our options.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                  Yes, we are going to need team O this season. It will be interesting to see if Joe has a Top 6 or if he has 8-9 guys move in and out of the first two lines based on match-ups.

Agreed this year's D should be as good or better than last year. We return everyone which should mean improvement. It would be hard to imagine the top 4 changing much. Will the coaches be more aggressive and take more offensive risks knowing there is a solid experienced D corp back there?

Who is the #1 goalie, or is it going to be goalie by committee? I like our options.
                  I don't buy that the top four defensemen are experieced or good.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I think the back end is "adequate" but Tech really needs to find about 30% more goals this year if they want to compete in the conference and on a national level. Over the last few seasons here is how Tech (BOLDED) stacked up in goals for, compared to the top half of the WCHA.

2018-19 / 147, 104, 133, 123, 95, 90 - Zero playoff wins, out in the WCHA first round (outscored 9-4 vs BGSU in those two games)
                    2017-18 / 153, 130, 122, 103, 134 - NCAA Tourney
                    2016-17 / 94, 131, 119, 120, 95 - NCAA Tourney (BSU conference champs)
                    2015-16 / 123, 105, 118, 112, 89 - WHCA Champs, realistically should have been an NCAA Tourney team
                    2014-15 / 145, 144, 119, 92, 101 - NCAA Tourney

BSU is a RARE exception scoring so few goals and being able win a conference title. Just count on giving up at least 3 a game, so you better be able to score at least 4 or 5 a game if you want to win more than you lose in the WCHA, and especially in the tourney. Mistakes will ALWAYS happen, and those mistakes often turn into goals against. So if you don't have the firepower up front to cover some mistakes or have three All-Americans on your blue line. Some say defense wins championships, but I don't think that is true in today's free skating hockey. Sure maybe when clutch and grab ruled the rink you could win a lot of 1-0 and 2-1 games, but now you need to be able to put the puck in the net.
                    Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 09-03-2019, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Ya, BSU's win in 2016-17 says defense does win championships... sometimes... when M. Bitzer is in goal. That said, the other years listed say offense wins and I agree.

Tech and BG might be a little different in goals required to win. I've observed over a few seasons that BG wins when it scores 3 or more or gives up 2 or fewer.

BG 2018-2019 WCHA regular season
                      Record when
                      Scoring 3 or more: 13-0-2
                      Scoring 2 or fewer: 3-8-2 <== Here's the problem
                      Allowing 2 or fewer: 15-2-2
                      Allowing 3 or more: 1-6-2
                      Go Falcons!

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

I will not be surprised to see Pietila as the front runner. From what I hear he is very good. I believe it may be his job to lose. Not to mention he is probably good for adding a few fans in the stands.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                          Not to mention he is probably good for adding a few fans in the stands.
                          Maybe the first few games but if one of the others plays well and wins games fans will be in the stands even if they don't have local ties.

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                            Maybe the first few games but if one of the others plays well and wins games fans will be in the stands even if they don't have local ties.

I agree, winning definitely is the best recipe to fill the seats but these local ties are responsible for a good number of fans regardless.

Comment

Has the team been undergoing any Rockwell testing this off season? A friend was asking if our quest is on track...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                                Has the team been undergoing any Rockwell testing this off season? A friend was asking if our quest is on track...
                                I heard rumors of nitriding and/or carburizing, maybe even induction.

Other offseason NEW equipment installs at the Mac?

Comment

Working...
                                X